Meals on Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Woolwine

My wife and I will be taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff in May. We have a roomette. How many meals will be provided? Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner? We board at 3pm on a Friday and arrive in Flagstaff @ 8:51pm.

Any info is appreciated.

We are super excited about our trip.

My wife and I will be taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff in May. We have a roomette. How many meals will be provided? Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner? We board at 3pm on a Friday and arrive in Flagstaff @ 8:51pm.

Any info is appreciated.

We are super excited about our trip.
I'm glad to hear you're excited about your trip - just make sure your excitement is tempered by the reality of traveling Amtrak. For example, you probably won't arrive in Flagstaff at 8:51 pm. The Southwest Chief has been averaging about 2 hours late into Flagstaff over the past few weeks - and arrived yesterday at 3:26 am. It's hard to say whether these trends will be better or worse in May, but if you're well prepared for late arrivals, etc. then you'll enjoy the trip a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been more delays than usual in recent weeks into Flagstaff, but usually that train is on or close to schedule. I live here in FLG. Do you need advice on a place to stay that night? I will be glad to answer any more questions about the area. I will be on the SWC to Chicago next week. I love taking it and usually the food is fairly good, although I was not happy with the last fish dinner I had in October on the way back. Do enjoy northern New Mexico, through which it probably will not be running in 2016.

We will be staying at the Drury the night we arrive in flagstaff and then staying at Bright Angel when we go to GC.

Any suggestions on taxis from hotel to airport for our rental car? We have to pick it up there because we are dropping it off in another location at end of week when we fly back to Louisville.

There are various taxi outfits in town. They usually meet the train. The hotel could call you one for the ride to the airport. You probably will want to taxi from the station to the hotel , but it is walkable and not unsafe, although some of the walk is rather dark. I will be glad to provide you walking directions. Are you staying in Bright Angel cabins or the motel units? ( kachina or Thunderbird)

We are staying in a cabin at Bright Angel.
Stayed 5-6 nights there on my honeymoon way back when. Could open our back door and walk a short distance to the rim. There's a very wide walkway that we had to cross to be on the actual rim but it was about as close as one could get in a cabin. Loved it.

Just be careful with the lousy plastic dinnerware in the diner. It's so light weight that it doesn't stay in place: Try spearing an off-center tomato in your salad bowl with a fork and that bowl will spray its contents all over the tabletop. BTDT

There have been more delays than usual in recent weeks into Flagstaff, but usually that train is on or close to schedule. I live here in FLG. Do you need advice on a place to stay that night? I will be glad to answer any more questions about the area. I will be on the SWC to Chicago next week. I love taking it and usually the food is fairly good, although I was not happy with the last fish dinner I had in October on the way back.

Do enjoy northern New Mexico, through which it probably will not be running in 2016.

Hello greatcats

What will happen in 2016 to the SWC re northern New Mexico ?

Thanks

This has been a topic of much discussion. The idea is to reroute it on the mainline through Wichita, across northwestern Oklahoma to Amarillo and then to Albuquerque, where it will be necessary to wye it to reverse direction to continue west. Discontinuing the train completely is sometimes mentioned, but I think that is pretty unlikely and nobody wants to see that happen. The reroute has its pluses in that it would be somewhat faster and serve a greater population.

If/When the SWC reroute happens, where would the new station stops likely be located? I know Wichita & Amarillo would be included, but where else?

This has been a topic of much discussion. The idea is to reroute it on the mainline through Wichita, across northwestern Oklahoma to Amarillo and then to Albuquerque, where it will be necessary to wye it to reverse direction to continue west. Discontinuing the train completely is sometimes mentioned, but I think that is pretty unlikely and nobody wants to see that happen. The reroute has its pluses in that it would be somewhat faster and serve a greater population.
Thanks for your concise answer, I understand now.

I suppose the pluses make a commercial sense, so is there a probability the route will change?

We want to make 3 long distance Amtrak journeys and can only make one at a time. If the original SWC route is soon to be changed for a less scenic/interesting one then that is the one we should take first?

Thanks again

Yes, I would take the Southwest Chief. While it appears that the present route will continue through at least the end of 2015, there is also the possibility that if something goes radically wrong with the line, say, a washout, or landslide, or a bridge declared unsafe, that it could be curtains for that line. Approximately 200 miles of it are being run at the present time for only two passenger trains per day, no freight. ( Lamy area to Trinidad, or even La Junta. ) I really like northern New Mexico - it is something out of the old west. (Driving the back roads is something akin to visiting a third world country. ) While not as scenic as crossing the Colorado Rockies or the Sierra Nevada, it has its own charms. This is my prediction. The parties involved will hem and haw and haggle over the matter and the present date of the end of 2015 will be temporarily pushed to a future date before switching routes. But while I enjoy the present route, I myself don't see a long term further for it unless somebody comes up with a really brilliant idea. The important point in my view is to keep the Southwest Chief running between Chicago and Los Angeles/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back