Meals on long distance routes.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no expert, but I am pretty sure they crack the eggs on board, both on Western and Eastern trains-I've noticed some are more scrambled than others, with some white still around, which is how I like them. My eggs this morning were great, light and fluffy, and clearly hand scrambled, not from a box. Served over the quesadilla, with tomatillo salsa and sausage, was actually very good, much better than I expected it to be!
I must admit that looks like real whole eggs from here. You can see the variations in color and texture plain as day. Commercial egg mix generally gives itself away with a lighter shade of yellow with extremely even color and texture. I've been told that sometimes the mix is used when the whole eggs run out, either due to heavy ordering or insufficient stock before departure. I've also been told that eggs vs. mix sometimes changes depending on other factors, such as changes in the price or availability of eggs and how the F&B budget is holding up relative to the number of recorded diners. No idea how much (if any) of that is true or not.

Me either. All three trains I've been on this week used real eggs. The Crescent, Capitol Limited, and the SW Chief. Breakfast (and really all) meals seem to be much better. The chilaquillea, steamed mussels, quesadilla, and even the Biryani are all nice changes from the regular endless scrambled eggs, burger, steak rotation. And just from observation, it looked like they were selling more of those new meals, than the old standbys. That's promising.

On the current menu, I think the Salmon is also grilled to order.

On the single level trains you can see and hear the whole eggs being cracked and scrambled if you have a seat close to the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back