Meals, Children, and Sleeper Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
I know all passengers in a sleeper receive free meals, but are children traveling on a sleeper ticket eligible to order any meal on the menu and not off the children's menu (for example, even a three-year-old could order the steak if s/he wanted it)?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're ticketed in the sleeper, they can order anything from the menu. Meals include dessert and one non-alcoholic beverage. Meals can be a real saver for families in the sleeper, it adds up quick.

Okay, that means if you've got 1 adult and 2 kids in a sleeper both kids can order something for free?

We had the opposite experience with sleeper meals. Last fall my handicapped son and I took the CL and SWC out west and back. He is 24, but I was able to order from either the adult or children's menu for him, depending on which foods I thought he could handle best. He really liked the children's menu chicken fingers and the pizza, but also enjoyed the pasta entree specials and the enchiladas from the adult menu. Our SCA and the dining car crew had no issues with our ordering from a different menu every meal if we wanted to.

Last year on a trip on the EB, when the dining car attendant was droning on and on and on after boarding in Chicago..and on and on and on :lol: ......one of the things she mentioned was that it was verboten for an adult to order off the children's menu as there was a limited amount of offerings on them and they were for children only.....and on and on and on.........

Last year on a trip on the EB, when the dining car attendant was droning on and on and on after boarding in Chicago..and on and on and on :lol: ......one of the things she mentioned was that it was verboten for an adult to order off the children's menu as there was a limited amount of offerings on them and they were for children only.....and on and on and on.........
Was that for the complementary meals for sleeper passengers? Or in respect to "cheep" adult coach passengers?

Was that for the complementary meals for sleeper passengers? Or in respect to "cheep" adult coach passengers?
I ordered a kid's meal on the TE one night when I wasn't that hungry and they didn't give me any hassle, but I was in a sleeper price wasn't a factor.

I assume the announcement was made for the whole train, sleeper passengers and coach passengers alike. Her point, I think, was that there was only so much food available on the kid's menu and only kids were allowed to order off of it.

I assume the announcement was made for the whole train, sleeper passengers and coach passengers alike. Her point, I think, was that there was only so much food available on the kid's menu and only kids were allowed to order off of it.
Kids meals in the dining car are designed for and designated for passengers aged 12 and under. That is stated on the menu and that's

Amtraks stance on the matter. It's not strictly enforced by most dining car staffs nobody is going to get in any serious trouble for giving a passenger what they want.

The menu for kids is available so (coach) folks can save a buck 'cuz the kids usually don't eat as much as an adult. That's not an issue for sleeper passengers. Adults can order a kid's meal if they want to. Kids can order an adult meal if they want to. I'd guess that your car attendant liked to hear the melodic strains of her own voice going on and on. :cool: :lol:

It's one of my goals to get the LSA to make better announcements. Announcements should be informative, clear & understandable and as brief as possible. The longer you talk the less people will listen to you. Some LSAs, in an attempt to mitigate questions and/or misunderstanding inside the dining car go on and into way too much unnecessary chatter over the PA.

This one did go on forever. I think she was fairly new to the job and wanted to make sure she got all the announcements down. I think she talked for over five minutes straight. It wasn't long after her spiel got over that she made another announcement: She'd lost her cell phone and asked for help finding it. She finally located it after the stop in Milwaukee----she'd accidentally thrown it in the trash while cleaning out the dining car---and I thought how horrific that must have been for her: not being able to talk on a phone!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back