Meal schedule on CZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've searched & searched to find what times meals are served on CZ & can't find any reference.

We're boarding #6 today in Fraser & it's delayed until 6:30pm (normal time is 3:55).

My question is pertaining specifically to dinner service schedule, when do they start and end service?

We were really looking forward to having dinner & hope we'll get in and don't have to bring our own food. That's part of the reason we get sleepers!

I believe dinner reservations go till maybe 9:00. And since the train is late, they may extend it. Not sure. By the time you get on, your SCA may already have made a reservation for you (be prepared to drop your stuff off in your room and head to the diner). But I'd also be ready to buy/bring your own dinner in case the train loses more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dinner is USUALLY 5ish to 9ish with multiple sittings. If you board at 6:30, chances are the SCA will have gotten a dinner reservation time for you already. If they haven't, you should be good for last call at the very least. If the train is delayed much beyond 8:30 or 9, you will be out of luck though. Keep monitoring the train status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this info still good?

My specific question on meal time is for breakfast, if we board CZ eastbound around ~07:30, is there any kind of organized breakfast? (I will be a first time rider, ever).

Is this info still good?

My specific question on meal time is for breakfast, if we board CZ eastbound around ~07:30, is there any kind of organized breakfast? (I will be a first time rider, ever).
Breakfast is first come first served and seating goes until about 9.

The Builder into Seattle and Chief into LA are exceptions with abbreviated breakfast service.

I just reailzed after looking at this, follow-on question for CZ, eastbound,

"Meals on This Train:
Eastbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast"

So this train is to get to CHI at 14:50. I take from counting the meals provided and the arrival time to mean there is no lunch meal around noon hour right before CHI, like its breakfast and then that's it nothing until I get off the train mid-afternoon?

"Meals on This Train:

So this train is to get to CHI at 14:50. I take from counting the meals provided and the arrival time to mean there is no lunch meal around noon hour right before CHI, like its breakfast and then that's it nothing until I get off the train mid-afternoon?
Yep, no lunch into Chicago

"Meals on This Train:

I asked this same question a few days ago because the Chief, with the same arrival time into CHI, does serve lunch. Everyone said that in their experience the Zephyr served lunch on the last day.

Of course, this may vary depending on how on-time the train is running.
Meal Times
Breakfast: Available 6:30 - 9:30 am
Lunch: Available 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Available: 5:00 - 9:00 pm
Final seatings at 9:30 am, 2:30 pm, 9:00 pm respectively. A ‘last call’ is made 15 minutes before period ends.
Exceptions may apply based on train schedule or in the event of a delay.
https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-dining/dining-car.html

I asked this same question a few days ago because the Chief, with the same arrival time into CHI, does serve lunch. Everyone said that in their experience the Zephyr served lunch on the last day.
Interesting… I searched and just found your thread now. I guess we will just be ready for it to go either way🤔

Back