Meal question??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobalski

Train Attendant
Is there a separate menu for sleeper passengers who receive free meals, or do they choose from the menu provided?

If from the provided menu, what is the situation at breakfast if you want the Omelette Selection, but would like a side of bacon and sausage. Do you need to pay for the sides, or are sides included for sleepers?

Cheers.

Everyone uses the regular menu.

As for the sides, I want to know too. Most places on this forum say "everything but alcohol" is included, but other say that only a main dish, appetizer, and drink is included.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends - within reason. You can ask for a side of bacon, or an extra this or that. Maybe leave a nice tip in exchange. They don't really seem to care about an additional fee at breakfast. I've found that generally - they just want to see that you are happy...

Desserts are included at both lunch and dinner. Breakfast sausage or bacon is included if you ask for it. Appetizers are not included. Soft drinks are included.

Desserts are included at both lunch and dinner. Breakfast sausage or bacon is included if you ask for it. Appetizers are not included. Soft drinks are included.
My experience too. Only thing I'd add is that juice and coffee or tea are included at breakfast. I've never asked for an extra dessert, but now that RRdude mentioned it, I just may have to find out for myself. In the name of "research" of course!

If from the provided menu, what is the situation at breakfast if you want the Omelette Selection, but would like a side of bacon and sausage.
I think it depends - within reason. You can ask for a side of bacon, or an extra this or that.
From my experiences, you can ask for one side, and they will provide it without question. But I think abcnews is right, it has to be within reason.

You can ask for a side of bacon or a side of sausage, but it might be a bit too greedy to ask for both a side of bacon and sausage.

BTW, my kid has asked for a second can of soda, and been declined.

Speaking of Desserts, dont miss out on the CHEESE CAKE!!!!
ohmy.gif
biggrin.gif
hi.gif

With lunch you can get a veggie burger with BOTH cheese and bacon - a hypocrite burger :giggle:

If I forget when ordering breakfast, they have always asked if I want a side of bacon/sausage. As far as the sodas, a very recent experience told me that they keep VERY close tabs on the sodas. My wife and I were the very last patrons for lunch on #4's SW Chief into Chicago. I had ordered a pepsi. The LSA was getting everything "milk crated" up and told the person who waited on us that there was a soda short, in the count. It took a minute or two and then they figured out the missing soda was mine! Just a thanks to the crew on the SW Chief on 1/3/11 out of Galesburg for fitting us in for lunch. :) Late lunches DO NOT happen for us on the Zephyr.

They always are picky about soft drinks for some reason. Every time I've been in the diner they warn people that they have to pay for the second drink.

They always are picky about soft drinks for some reason. Every time I've been in the diner they warn people that they have to pay for the second drink.
Years back soda was free to the sleeper passengers anytime that they wished. However, wholesale theft of soda perhaps by the crew and/or passengers put an end to that. Sleeper passengers now just get ONE soda with their meal. Just goes to show that greedy behavior always ends up having a negative effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, sleeper passengers order off the regular menu, and can chose anything.

For breakfast, you can get ANY entree, plus a side of meat. For lunch and dinner, you can get ANY entree, plus ANY desert! (Alcoholic beverages are not included, and I don't think they offer appetizers anymore, but those were not included either.)

I don't drink soft drinks, so I can't say about that. But I always ask and get a cup of tea or ice tea to bring back to the room with no problem!
smile.gif

I think soft drinks are included, but I was unsure the first few times I rode, so I erred on the side of caution and got milk. Milk is now something of a tradition for me...and it's preferable to Pepsi, so I'm happy. I'll sometimes substitute coffee at breakfast as well (I am not a morning person like I was back in high school), but...that mixture makes for a good trip. I also tend to get an extra glass of milk or cup of coffee...and it's never been a problem getting that for after-dinner, even when I'm riding coach and paying.

I have never had any trouble getting a second soda. I don't know how it all works but it may depend on who is running the dining car.

Thx for all the answers guys.

I guess I'll order the side of sausage and The Minister for War and Finances can order the bacon to share.

Cheers

I have never had any trouble getting a second soda. I don't know how it all works but it may depend on who is running the dining car.

I've never been declined a second soft drink either...
I have also never been refused a second soda ...

Forgot to add, I always get a soft drink, and usually a coffee to finish up the meal with a dessert if desired. The coffee is free, even after getting the soda included.

Possibly it is route or LSA dependent, but on the Silvers, the waitstaff has always made it clear that I would need to pay for a second can of soda.

Given my supreme dislike of Diet Pepsi, the issue about a free second can of soda is moot for me.

I always travel with my own stock of Diet Coke (and sometimes get some envious glances from fellow passengers).

Given my supreme dislike of Diet Pepsi, the issue about a free second can of soda is moot for me.

I always travel with my own stock of Diet Coke (and sometimes get some envious glances from fellow passengers).
You mean you flaunt it in the diner?

:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back