Meadowlands Rail Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Does the 28,000 ridership number refer to each way or total?

2. How long did it take to travel between Secaucus and Metlife Stadium by train yesterday (once the train began moving)?

1. Each way, though there are some reports that the return trip was considerably more than 28,000. As to how that can be don't ask me. I have no idea. People came in by bus and ditched it for the train on the way back? How would the ticketing for such work? No clue.

2. Should be about 15 minutes or so. Maybe Fan Railer has a better more accurate number.

What can be done to improve Meadowlands Rail Service the next time New Jersey hosts a Super Bowl? (Perhaps begin trains at Hoboken and open the Stadium gates at 1:00 PM instead of 2:00 PM)?

1. Each way, though there are some reports that the return trip was considerably more than 28,000. As to how that can be don't ask me. I have no idea. People came in by bus and ditched it for the train on the way back? How would the ticketing for such work? No clue.

2. Should be about 15 minutes or so. Maybe Fan Railer has a better more accurate number.
Start watching at 15:30 for the first video.
Nothing much on the train side. They need to take the load off of the rail system and transfer some of it to the bus. As stated in the links before (which makes me wonder if you read any of that stuff), the lopsided ridership numbers (between train and bus) were due to price gouging by the NFL on the bus side ($51 a ticket) and the relative affordability on the rail side ($10 a ticket, or something like that).
From the rail infrastructure end, you can't do much to increase capacity in terms of head ways due to the way the Meadowlands Spur Line is designed. So with 10 minute head ways and the trains that you can use, you're really stuck with a capacity of 12k-15k people per hour.

Considering that after a typical game at the MetLife stadium it can take someone who got there by car as much as two hours or more to get out of there, I am at a loss to understand what the whole excitement is all about. Did people really expect 30,000 people to be magically transported out of there in half an hour?

Considering that after a typical game at the MetLife stadium it can take someone who got there by car as much as two hours or more to get out of there, I am at a loss to understand what the whole excitement is all about. Did people really expect 30,000 people to be magically transported out of there in half an hour?
The excitement stems from the fans, who come from regions of the country that do not have the transportation system / infrastructure that we have. Obviously they're going to make a big deal about something they don't personally understand.

How likely is it for New Jersey to host a Super Bowl within the next 10 years?

How many train sets typically get used for Events at the Meadowlands?

Also, aren't most Meadowlands Train Sets 6 or 7 cars long?

Back