MBTA commuter trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time starting a new topic, and I wanted to know what everyone thinks of this idea:

We live in Buffalo and we're thinking about a trip to Portland, ME. Rather than do it all in one trip (arriving past 1:00AM with two young kids) I was thinking of getting off in Worcester or Framingham, spending the night in a hotel there and taking the commuter train the next morning the rest of the way to South Station. Is this a feasible idea? Keep in mind we'd have two kids and lots of luggage.

This is my first time starting a new topic, and I wanted to know what everyone thinks of this idea:
We live in Buffalo and we're thinking about a trip to Portland, ME. Rather than do it all in one trip (arriving past 1:00AM with two young kids) I was thinking of getting off in Worcester or Framingham, spending the night in a hotel there and taking the commuter train the next morning the rest of the way to South Station. Is this a feasible idea? Keep in mind we'd have two kids and lots of luggage.
Well - first off the train to Portland doesn't leave from South Station, but rather North station. So, if you take a commuter train to South, you will then need to get yourselves to North Station for the Portland train.

Well - first off the train to Portland doesn't leave from South Station, but rather North station. So, if you take a commuter train to South, you will then need to get yourselves to North Station for the Portland train.
Indeed, you'd be better off taking the Commuter Train one station short of South Station, to Back Bay and then take the Orange Line subway from there to North Station, which is where you will get the train to Portland ME. Saves you one inconvenient change from Red to Orange Line at Downtown Crossing or one confusing transfer from Red to Green Line at Park Street if you were to go all the way to South Station.

If you have lots of luggage and the kids arent able to help you might want to consider a cab to North station,I havent made the trip to North station but it shouldnt be too much from BackBay or South Station and would be quick and convient for a few bucks!

Hi,

Worcester isn't the greatest of places. The train station is OK, it was built I think in the late 1900's, is larger than it needs to be now, and was remodeled a few years ago. It is quite pretty.

There will be cabs outside when you arrive for sure.

Parts of the town you don't want to wander around in late at night. There is a Holiday Inn Express, and I think a Marriot property, among others, to stay in. Framingham is certainly a safer town but hotels will probably cost more. There is a lot of shopping, and a large mall (the Natick Mall) if you get in early enough and just want to wander around a mall for awhile. Getting from the hotel to the mall could be a hassle, though.

If you take the commuter train in the morning (between 6:00 and 8:30) towards Boston it could be quite crowded with commuters. Worcester is the originating station so you'll be able to get seats and stash luggage in the overhead racks.

Other posters saying the Downeaster leaves from North Station are accurate. The change to the subway at BackBay is optimal, however the subways are not luggage friendly so if the kids are a handful, lots of luggage, plus strollers, you are the only adult, etc. you may want to consider a brief cab ride between Back Bay and North Station.

North Station is low on amenities - it is a commuter station so it has lots of seats, a Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, and a small cocktail bar. There are restaurants a short walk away but no place to store luggage.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back