Maximizing AGR Benefits

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roomette

Lead Service Attendant
Using AGR and rather than getting a room in Chicago, I'm thinking of planning a trip from LAX to TOL arriving 11:39pm, 5 hour layover, then departing 5:22am TOL to LAX.

In this current economy, I'd just as soon max out the AGR zone points with 4.5 hours to Toledo, then 4.5 hours immediately back in a Capitol Limited roomette, than pay for dinner, breakfast and a hotel room in Chicago.

It appears the Toledo station is open during this time [11:39pm - 5:22am] and although it doesn't look quite a Metropolitan Lounge, it looks comfortable enough for watching a couple of movies while waiting.

Does this sound like a doable plan?

Anyone know how safe this station is?

1zgaijd.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I must say upfront that my experience in Toledo was several years ago, 2001 to be precise, I spent several hours in the Toledo station on two occasions. This was back when the Pennsy still ran to Chicago. I was actually going to/from Cleveland, but didn't like the horrible calling times at CLE. So instead I rode the LSL to Toledo, then waited several hours for the eastbound Pennsy to ride back to CLE. I reversed things to come home, catching the Capitol however from Toledo.

So I spent several hours in the station both times. I never felt unsafe, the station is staffed, so help is always at hand. In addition to the benches that you see in that picture, there were also some tables, where I was able to setup my laptop and plug in the power too. I seem to recall vending machines for drinks and snacks also in the station.

You may get some odd stares from the agents, but otherwise I don't think that you'd have any problems. Of course, again remeber that my experience was 10 years ago and I wasn't there during the dead of the night hours. I was gone on the Cap by 12:30 PM IIRC, and I arrived on the LSL around 7 AM.

Head a little further east to Cleveland. Granted the connect time is only 1:14, but it would minimize the station time and you could sleep for several hours before breakfast westbound.

There are two stops prior to Cleveland if the train is running late eastbound. If it starts getting tight on time, jump off there, call the 1-800 and tell them you will be boarding "Sandusky" or "Elyria" instead. (Car trouble you know....) While both stations are unstaffed, they look nice from the aerial shots on Google and Live Maps.....

Have Fun,

Head a little further east to Cleveland. Granted the connect time is only 1:14, but it would minimize the station time and you could sleep for several hours before breakfast westbound.

There are two stops prior to Cleveland if the train is running late eastbound. If it starts getting tight on time, jump off there, call the 1-800 and tell them you will be boarding "Sandusky" or "Elyria" instead. (Car trouble you know....) While both stations are unstaffed, they look nice from the aerial shots on Google and Live Maps.....

Have Fun,
While perhaps more convenient logistically, traveling eastwards beyond Toledo would extend the trips from two Guest Rewards zones (West and Central) to three (West, Central, and East). Turning in Chicago (with a long layover) or Toledo (with a shorter but still long layover) are no different in cost when using points; but going any further than Toledo costs a lot more -- 15,000 additional points in each direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
While perhaps more convenient logistically, traveling eastwards beyond Toledo would extend the trips from two Guest Rewards zones (West and Central) to three (West, Central, and East). Turning in Chicago (with a long layover) or Toledo (with a shorter but still long layover) are no different in cost when using points; but going any further than Toledo costs a lot more -- 15,000 additional points in each direction.
Not to mention the fact that a 1:14 connection is much riskier, considering that it's not a guaranteed connection.

Not to mention the fact that a 1:14 connection is much riskier, considering that it's not a guaranteed connection.
Exactly! Thus my choice of Toledo. I honestly would be more comfortable in a sleeper split into two 4.5 hour shifts than a hotel since I'd be awake most of the night anticipating the return trip the next morning. Not to mention the cost of dinner, a room and breakfast.

The train is the destination for me. 7 nights in a roomette is my ideal vacation.

Plus, I still get some walking around time in Chicago coming and going anyway.

Although my trip is not until May I've decided against this plan after watching recent OTP o the Capitol Limited. Could be cutting things a little too close to make for a relaxing trip. Maybe I will book it anyway with AGR points and just not use the CHI-TOL round trip portion. Maybe sell it. HA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back