MARC Upgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_lrdc9_*

A conducter told me that MARC will be recieving some new engines to replace and expand the existing, age-worn fleet. He thinks that they will be an engine deseigned specifically for pax service, not a freight-turned-commuter. Deliveries start in 2-months and the big-wigs went to Boise, ID recently to check the engines out. He did not know what kind of engine it was hoing to be.

Well if they were in Boise that means they were at MPI. I believe they're going to be receiving MPI motors similar to that of Metra, GO, and Cal Train.

Yep - 26 MP36's.
Deliveries start this month or next, at a rate of two a month.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/s...ter%20FINAL.pdf

We're also picking up 13 more Kawasaki bi-levels from VRE, and the first of the 3 AEM-7's were supposed to be back from rebuild in August, but I haven't seen one yet.

Good times here in MD!
I hae those Kawasaki BI-LEVEL cars. The A/C breaks and the seats arn't very good. The single levels are the only REALLY good cars. The gallery cars do have a cool factor though.

I ride 'em every day, and haven't noticed big problems with the A/C. The new seat refurb helps out a good bit, but overall they're not terrible for my 25 minute trip. I wouldn't want to ride them that much longer, though!

Sitting 3 wide on the singles is a PITA (but when it's not packed and there's only 2 in the 3 wide, it's VERY nice).

I need to ride the Brunswick line to catch a ride on a gallery car - a coworker commutes on them, and says they're terrible.

Back