MARC service suspended due to communication outage - 01/20/23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update: MARC Train Service Suspension​

Start Date:​

01/20/2023 5:57 AM

End Date:​

01/20/2023 1:57 PM

Description:​

The system wide communication outage has been restored and service is being restored at this time. MARC Train will be operating on a reduced schedule due to the previous outage. Updates to follow as necessary.

Affected Routes:​

• MARC: BRUNSWICK - WASHINGTON
  • MARC: PENN - WASHINGTON
  • MARC: CAMDEN - WASHINGTON

URL:​

Service Alerts | Maryland Transit Administration

Cause:​

Other Cause

Effect:​

Other Effect

So apparently this was a MARC specific communication outage affecting only MARC trains somehow? AFAICT no effect on Amtrak trains on the Penn Line. I wonder what communication system was involved, and what is it used to communicate.

So apparently this was a MARC specific communication outage affecting only MARC trains somehow? AFAICT no effect on Amtrak trains on the Penn Line. I wonder what communication system was involved, and what is it used to communicate.
Sounds like ETMS went down

Does MARC operate on the NEC using I-ETMS and not ACSES? It is possible that they do since significant portions of the NEC are dual equipped with both ACSES and I-ETMS
I hav no idea. Just got that info from the NEC FB page. There was more info there

I hav no idea. Just got that info from the NEC FB page. There was more info there
Just checked the FB page, where someone with apparent knowledge of the situation does clearly say that Marc uses I-ETMS and that is what failed. Amtrak is not affected because it uses ACSES.

Back