Maple Leaf's border crossing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
On my trip next September across Canada, I had originally planned to fly between ATl and Toronto. Now I am thinking about a Crescent/Maple Leaf connection.

My question, what is it like to cross the border on the train these days? I have done it in years past and it was a snap . Anybody crossed the border on the Maple Leaf recently? Do we have to get off the train? We certainly did not have to in the past, but that was years and years and years before 9/11.

Bill, I can't speak for the Maple Leaf but I can for the Adirondack which I took last summer, and even then can not speak for the crossing into Canada as we were bustituted from Albany due to trackwork. However, on the southbound trip we crossed the border at Rouses Point where Immigration ad Customs officers boarded the train and established an "office" in the lounge car. Passengers were requested to stay in their seats as the immigration officers came through the cars checking the documentation of people. In total the stop took about an hour and then we were cleared to go. Fairly quick and painless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back