Map of California Zephyr route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
When looking at Google Maps I see it has the capability to save maps for offline use. The only problem is that it stores a huge amount above and below the train route. Has anyone ever downloaded the entire California Zephyr route? What is the size? I know that it would be multiple segments. How do you make sure you have the least overlap. If a small segment of map is missing will the app try to download it?

I've done it, but not recently. It is doable, and the size of the files are quite reasonable. Don't ask me for numbers, but it easily fit into a low-end iPhone 5 to 7 years ago. Don't believe that file size should be a limitation for you.

You divide it into segments of rectangles. Perhaps Chicago to Burlington, IA, Burlington to Omaha, Omaha to Colorado border, etc. etc. Each rectangle will be a segment. Overlap them slightly. You can trim the segments to the absolute minimal area or include additional detail outside the track for orientation. These rectangle segments will be your saved files. Keep in mind that for rural areas (much of the Zephyr route) you can include lots more area without substantially more data usage - Big Cities are what eats up data.

Don't expect that any missed area would be "automatically downloaded".

When selecting an area to store offline, zoom the map out. The size of the selection will stay constant relative to the screen, increasing the map area included. When you reach the maximum size of the offline area, the rectangle will start to shrink relative to the screen, keeping the enclosed map area constant. That's how you minimize the number of areas you need to add.

The storage used by the offline areas varies greatly, depending on how much detail there is in the area. Areas in the sparsely populated West will use less storage than ones on the East Coast.

Google maps on my Samsung Galaxy S8 seems to always have a problem when it doesn't have good cell data service even with downloaded maps. That app really wants to connect. It frequently spins and hangs when out of data service areas, which is fairly often on long distance trains.

I downloaded an free offline maps app, maps.me, and it works very well. Just download the required maps prior to your trip. If you don't get them all, it will automatically try to download the needed ones if within data service.

A handheld GPS with preloaded maps is a solution....no data connection required, just being able to "see" GPS satellites.
Been doing that for many years now. I use a Garmin handheld GPS, preloaded Open Street Map topos. I also have all the stations loaded as waypoints. It will also show your speed, direction of travel and elevation.

Also with a GPS, the "tracklog", which is a time and location record of your movement, can be handy to re-visit the trip. If you have a digital photo and you want to know the location, look at the timestamp of the image and find that time in the tracklog - the map will show you where you (the camera) was when the image was taken (simplified description).

A handheld GPS with preloaded maps is a solution....no data connection required, just being able to "see" GPS satellites.
Been doing that for many years now. I use a Garmin handheld GPS, preloaded Open Street Map topos. I also have all the stations loaded as waypoints. It will also show your speed, direction of travel and elevation.

Also with a GPS, the "tracklog", which is a time and location record of your movement, can be handy to re-visit the trip. If you have a digital photo and you want to know the location, look at the timestamp of the image and find that time in the tracklog - the map will show you where you (the camera) was when the image was taken (simplified description).

Most modern cameras can and do have the geolocation data stored in the photo. You just need a program that can read that exif data stored in the photo.

For example on an iPhone (Which can do this natively from the photos app):

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/view-exif-metadata-photos-app/

Most modern cameras can and do have the geolocation data stored in the photo. You just need a program that can read that exif data stored in the photo.

For example on an iPhone (Which can do this natively from the photos app):

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/view-exif-metadata-photos-app/
Smart phones do have GPS built-in. My regular camera does not have GPS built in hence, I started using a handheld GPS on my trips (train, cruises and driving) to "geotag" the images from that camera. Flickr reads that data and locates the images on a map for me. I use Garmin Base Camp to geotag the photos. I also use Expert GPS to "see" were images are located before I upload them. Helpful for adding text tags regarding location.

I downloaded an free offline maps app, maps.me, and it works very well.
"If you're not the customer, you're the product." How does maps.me make money providing a no-monetary-cost app to users?

I'm not being snide or snarky; I'm wondering how much of my life goes into the "product" that maps.me is producing, and where it is marketed.

"If you're not the customer, you're the product." How does maps.me make money providing a no-monetary-cost app to users?

I'm not being snide or snarky; I'm wondering how much of my life goes into the "product" that maps.me is producing, and where it is marketed.
Well, I am not sure, but it certainly is no worse than Google, which tracks you, sets cookies to tailor advertising and all sorts of things. And Google sells its data services, including you, to the entire known universe.

Google maps is also free, and doesn't work as well for trains.

And, as I think about it, this board is free, too, although they do ask for donations.

I have made peace with being the "product" and so remain on this board and use other services.

Rail lines on Google Maps are very difficult to see.
Indeed. They're much clearer on a Garmin GPS unit. But you don't necessarily need a handheld. I have an old automotive GPS unit with lifetime map updates which still works (but a bit dimly), and I can easily use the suction cup to mount it on the roomette window and power it with a USB power adaptor.

Indeed. They're much clearer on a Garmin GPS unit. But you don't necessarily need a handheld. I have an old automotive GPS unit with lifetime map updates which still works (but a bit dimly), and I can easily use the suction cup to mount it on the roomette window and power it with a USB power adaptor.

I have several of those Garmins. I've seen a 'pedestrian' mode in a menu someplace. I bet that might show the rail lines.

I've done it, but not recently. It is doable, and the size of the files are quite reasonable. Don't ask me for numbers, but it easily fit into a low-end iPhone 5 to 7 years ago. Don't believe that file size should be a limitation for you.

You divide it into segments of rectangles. Perhaps Chicago to Burlington, IA, Burlington to Omaha, Omaha to Colorado border, etc. etc. Each rectangle will be a segment. Overlap them slightly. You can trim the segments to the absolute minimal area or include additional detail outside the track for orientation. These rectangle segments will be your saved files. Keep in mind that for rural areas (much of the Zephyr route) you can include lots more area without substantially more data usage - Big Cities are what eats up data.

Don't expect that any missed area would be "automatically downloaded".
We are getting ready to go from CHI to EMY. How do I download the route, Im on Google maps now and cant figure it out.

We are getting ready to go from CHI to EMY. How do I download the route, Im on Google maps now and cant figure it out.

What device are you using to try and download to? The download instructions vary depending on whether you are on a computer (might even differ by browser some), a phone (might vary between Android and iOS), or a tablet (might vary between Android and iPad OS).

What device are you using to try and download to? The download instructions vary depending on whether you are on a computer (might even differ by browser some), a phone (might vary between Android and iOS), or a tablet (might vary between Android and iPad OS).
I was gonna try it on a laptop. Chrome browser. I have an android cell if its easier.

I was gonna try it on a laptop. Chrome browser. I have an android cell if its easier.
As far as I can tell, it's not available on browsers, but just in the Maps apps.

I just went thru the steps on Android to refresh my memory. First, make sure you have the latest update to Google Maps. It looks like just this afternoon, Google downloaded a new version with a drastically changed UI, but it was broken. Then they released another version with fixes.

Here are the steps, at least on my version:
  1. Find your originating city on the map.
  2. Click the back arrow on the left end of the search bar to clear the bar.
  3. Tap your avatar on the right end of the search bar, which will open a menu.
  4. Tap Offline maps on the menu.
  5. On the Offline maps menu, tap the Settings icon at the top right to select whether you want to store the maps on your device storage or on an SD card (if you have one.) This must be done before you start downloading, as existing maps are deleted when you switch.
  6. Tap SELECT YOUR OWN MAP.
  7. A map centered on your current map view will appear in a box.
  8. Pinch the map until the box starts to shrink. This will give you the largest area you can download in one map.
  9. Drag the map to get as much of your route within the box as possible. In other words, get your starting point on one edge, and the furthest point on your route possible on the other edge.
  10. Tap Download. The selected area will start downloading, and you'll be returned to the menu.
  11. Tap SELECT YOUR OWN MAP again.
  12. The area you've just started downloading will appear again.
  13. Drag the map to select the next area of the route, starting where you left off in the previous map.
  14. Tap Download.
  15. Repeat until the entire route has been downloaded.
You won't be able to see your route while you're selecting areas to download. I suggest opening a map of the route on another device, and using it as a guide while you're selecting areas.

You don't need to wait for each area to complete downloading before selecting the next. Google will download any number of maps simultaneously in the background.

Google just assigns a number to each downloaded map. If you'd like, you can rename them by tapping the 3 dots next to them on the menu.

If you do this well in advance of your trip, update the downloads a day or 2 before your trip. Not only will this get the freshest data, but it will also prevent them expiring during your trip. You can update downloaded maps by tapping the 3 dots next to them on the menu.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, it's not available on browsers, but just in the Maps apps.

I just went thru the steps on Android to refresh my memory. First, make sure you have the latest update to Google Maps. It looks like just this afternoon, Google downloaded a new version with a drastically changed UI, but it was broken. Then they released another version with fixes.

Here are the steps, at least on my version:
  1. Find your originating city on the map.
  2. Click the back arrow on the left end of the search bar to clear the bar.
  3. Tap your avatar on the right end of the search bar, which will open a menu.
  4. Tap Offline maps on the menu.
  5. On the Offline maps menu, tap the Settings icon at the top right to select whether you want to store the maps on your device storage or on an SD card (if you have one.) This must be done before you start downloading, as existing maps are deleted when you switch.
  6. Tap SELECT YOUR OWN MAP.
  7. A map centered on your current map view will appear in a box.
  8. Pinch the map until the box starts to shrink. This will give you the largest area you can download in one map.
  9. Drag the map to get as much of your route within the box as possible. In other words, get your starting point on one edge, and the furthest point on your route possible on the other edge.
  10. Tap Download. The selected area will start downloading, and you'll be returned to the menu.
  11. Tap SELECT YOUR OWN MAP again.
  12. The area you've just started downloading will appear again.
  13. Drag the map to select the next area of the route, starting where you left off in the previous map.
  14. Tap Download.
  15. Repeat until the entire route has been downloaded.
You won't be able to see your route while you're selecting areas to download. I suggest opening a map of the route on another device, and using it as a guide while you're selecting areas.

You don't need to wait for each area to complete downloading before selecting the next. Google will download any number of maps simultaneously in the background.

Google just assigns a number to each downloaded map. If you'd like, you can rename them by tapping the 3 dots next to them on the menu.

If you do this well in advance of your trip, update the downloads a day or 2 before your trip. Not only will this get the freshest data, but it will also prevent them expiring during your trip. You can update downloaded maps by tapping the 3 dots next to them on the menu.
Thank you. Something worked. I only downloaded one map from Chicago to Naperville and I have the whole map under my offline maps.

Wow. I think I saw something sometime about downloading maps for an upcoming trip, but I've never been able to find it again, and never figured out how to do it.
I don't understand you showed me how to do it, how come you can't figure out how to do it?

Yes. Yes it's an offline map of the whole United States that I can zoom in on streets and follow the train route. Don't know if that's what you were trying to get me to do but it's okay for me to use. And when I turn on my GPS location I can just follow my blue dot to let me know exactly where I'm at.

Back