Man struck (4/19), killed by Amtrak on train tracks in Bernalillo, NM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A pedestrian was struck and killed by an Amtrak train near the U.S. 550 station in Bernalillo, according to a spokeswoman for the Rio Metro Regional Transit District.

The person who was hit was trespassing and obstructing the track, said Marc Magliari, a spokesman for Amtrak. He said there were no injuries to the passengers or crew and the train will continue service after local authorities finish their investigation.

-This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.

http://www.abqjournal.com/759945/news/man-struck-killed-by-amtrak-on-train-tracks-in-bernalillo.html

The person I know that was on the SWC that derailed in Kansas a month ago was on this one too if it's the 3.

Man, oh, man! I'm hearing way too many incidents with trains hitting pedestrians! Once there's a similar accident, some people never learn from them, and then they end up losing their lives in a similar incident.

The SWC incident was not the only trespasser fatality on April 19. There was one killed, one injured in Emporia, VA.

NBC12 report: Amtrak train strikes 2, killing 1 in Emporia.

EMPORIA, VA (WWBT) - An Amtrak train struck two people in Emporia on Tuesday afternoon, leaving one dead and sending another to VCU Medical Center.

The two were struck around 1:30 p.m. at the railroad crossing at Low Ground Road according to Emporia police and fire officials.

The train was headed south when it struck the two men who are both from Emporia. The man killed was 26 years old and the other was 28 years old. Police have not released their names yet.
From the timing and the delays shown in Status Maps history for yesterday, it may have been #89 Palmetto.

<sigh>

I read somewhere that the national average is 2 pedestrians are killed by trains, both freight and passenger trains, each day - about 730 per year.

On average 12 pedestrians are killed by cars, about 4300 per year.

That the report above says the person killed was obstructing the tracks might indicate it was a suicide.

From a bit over a year ago: http://www.abqjournal.com/545670/news/amtrak-hits-man-lying-on-tracks-near-bernalillo.html?utm_source=abqjournal.com&utm_medium=related+posts+-+default&utm_campaign=related+posts

Man, oh, man! I'm hearing way too many incidents with trains hitting pedestrians!
I agree wholeheartedly!

And the only real solution is to have a separate "Train-Pedestrian Accident" sub-forum. There's nothing any of us can do about them anyway - except wring our hands and cluck our tongues.

a 24 year old woman was also killed by an Amtrak train yesterday trespassing in Wallingford, CT.

I read somewhere that the national average is 2 pedestrians are killed by trains, both freight and passenger trains, each day - about 730 per year.

On average 12 pedestrians are killed by cars, about 4300 per year.

That the report above says the person killed was obstructing the tracks might indicate it was a suicide.

From a bit over a year ago: http://www.abqjournal.com/545670/news/amtrak-hits-man-lying-on-tracks-near-bernalillo.html?utm_source=abqjournal.com&utm_medium=related+posts+-+default&utm_campaign=related+posts
Chicago alone has typically 1 or 2 rail-related deaths each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back