Man blowing whistle as inbound train approaches

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Has anyone seen or heard a person on an Amtrak platform blow a whistle when a train is approaching for a station stop?

My research indicates this is not an American thing today (probably was a thing long ago). But it seems like it's still done at British stations, though to indicate the train/platform is safe for the train to leave, not arrive.

The security guy at the Newark, DE station has started showing up on the platform when the train is coming and blowing a whistle while the train is approaching. It's not like he needs to warn the passengers that a train is arriving on the track next to the platform because the northbound trains arrive on the 3rd track from the platform. And no need to do it when the train departs (which he doesn't do anyway) since the conductor gives the "all clear".

In Japan, I know they used to ring a buzzer (now a melodious melody) followed by a whistle to indicate the door are closing and to stop trying to get on the train. But not for arrivals. If you were encroaching on the edge of the platform, you could guarantee a loud horn blast.

Perhaps there has been a recent incident resulting from someone being too close to the platform edge?
People get near the edge of the platform while looking for the train. The train is two tracks over, so no danger for them from the arriving train. Once a guy got down onto the boards (to cross over to the train) before the train reached the station. I yelled at him to get off, but, of course, he ignored me. But he did stay close to the platform. Granted I'm not at the station every day...but most days to help passengers find the right platform (northbound and southbound are separated by 4 tracks, 2 of which are high speed, so they have to use steps, that are hidden, to a pedestrian bridge next to the roadway that goes over the tracks (someday there will be high level platforms with a bridge from the building....some day....).

Last edited:
I'm thinking the guy, who is the afternoon/evening security person for the SEPTA waiting room and also the one who lowers and raises the ADA ramp for SEPTA trains, is not happy that this lady comes everyday to help passengers and to watch the trains...and sometimes talks to one of the conductors...and wants to feel more useful/involved. 🤷‍♀️ I do appreciate that he will direct passengers to the correct platform if he's asked. Especially on those days that I'm not there. I just feel he's making up his own job description. And maybe saw mention of signal man somewhere but misunderstood their purpose.

Oh, and I didn't notice him blow the whistle when a SEPTA train came in before #134 was due in. SEPTA uses the track right next to the platform. I'm sure I would have heard his whistle if he had used it as I was standing nearby. For the Amtrak train, I was standing at the other end of the 4-5 car long platform where I still heard the whistle. SEPTA detrains then moves this train up a bit to be out of the way for the Amtrak passengers to cross the tracks (on boards), and he did not blow the whistle when the SEPTA train moved back into the station. This is a terminus station for SEPTA.

When's the last time anyone heard "all aboard" on an Amtrak platform? It's become more like a commuter train in that regard, if I'm remembering correctly how Amtraks and commuters used to be.

Not always, on a recent trip on the Silver Star at Raliegh a bunch of us nearly got left behind when the crew paid no attention and just started closing doors to the coaches, no double whistle, no call of All Aboard. It was strange, my sleeping car attendant was worried about me as I walked through the train back to my Viewliner.

When's the last time anyone heard "all aboard" on an Amtrak platform? It's become more like a commuter train in that regard, if I'm remembering correctly how Amtraks and commuters used to be.
Sieven hours ago on Lakeshore limited 49 in Albany. He used a bullhorn/loud speaker as he yelled it out walking up the platform. There was some kind of equipment trouble, so there was a delay. We left about 2 hours after scheduled departure.

Here in the UK, platform attendants used to blow a whistle to alert train passengers that boarding was finishing, to get a move on, and that the train was due to depart.
It was an "informal" warning signal, as the train engineer took heed only of the train guard/conductor, and most importantly, a green signal aspect to start away from the platform.
These days, the platform staff, if any, will blow a whistle and raise a white hand held baton to indicate that the train has "Right of Way" to start off.

Here in the UK, platform attendants used to blow a whistle to alert train passengers that boarding was finishing, to get a move on, and that the train was due to depart.
It was an "informal" warning signal, as the train engineer took heed only of the train guard/conductor, and most importantly, a green signal aspect to start away from the platform.
These days, the platform staff, if any, will blow a whistle and raise a white hand held baton to indicate that the train has "Right of Way" to start off.
For example, at Crewe for an Edinburg bound Avanti West Coast train. This gentleman took his job seriously. I went to ask him a question and he could not answer as he was in "train departure" mode.
crewe5.jpg

Perhaps there has been a recent incident resulting from someone being too close to the platform edge?
As far as I could tell he did nothing to try to stop the lady from crossing the boards before the train stopped (she did stop at this spot, so still far enough away from a slow moving train to be safe). The train was still moving when I took this picture. Had I been closer to the passengers I would have told her to stay on the platform when I saw her step onto the boards.

1694781462418.png
A

Back