Make-a-Wish Kid "Conductor" for CZ 6-20 SAC-RNO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf

Conductor
This just popped up on my Twitter feed:

proxy.jpg

I think I'll make a special trip to the platforms at SAC for this. Pass the word, this is pretty cool. Good job, Amtrak!

Best of luck to Jonathan! Hope everything goes smooth and he enjoys his wish to the fullest. Although I'm too far away to participate directly I made a donation to Make-a-Wish in Jonathan's honor.

Factual question: He evidently wanted a cab ride, but the article says we will serve as Conductor. I know Amtrak would hesitate to give him a cab ride, but I hope they're allowing it anyway. I guess my question is whether the person who wrote the article knows that the Conductor of a passenger train does not normally ride in the cab.

Factual question: He evidently wanted a cab ride, but the article says we will serve as Conductor. I know Amtrak would hesitate to give him a cab ride, but I hope they're allowing it anyway. I guess my question is whether the person who wrote the article knows that the Conductor of a passenger train does not normally ride in the cab.
Probably not since most news reports tend to indicate that the conductor is driving the train, not the engineer.

I think the kid knows exactly what he is getting, even if news writers don't. Look at the original Make-a-Wish notice: "I want to engineer a locomotive through Donner Pass." For that matter, I wonder if he has one of those simulator programs I read about in the model trains forum now and then.

A post on train orders has a pic of the "kid engineer" with his red bandana( old railroad tradition) and engineer hat and says that he will be the engineer on # 5 on Friday and will spend the weekend in Reno where he will be the engineer on the steamer on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad Tourist Train! Outstanding!

A post on train orders has a pic of the "kid engineer" with his red bandana( old railroad tradition) and engineer hat and says that he will be the engineer on # 5 on Friday and will spend the weekend in Reno where he will be the engineer on the steamer on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad Tourist Train! Outstanding!
Excellent news.

A friend of mine at Amtrak claims that the train orders even have his name printed on them

So happy for him, and appreciative of the organizations that made it happen! :hi: Thanks for posting!

Let's all keep him in our prayers--there's a reason he got to do this.

If only they had a better utilization of their donations...

Anyway, I'm impressed Amtrak did this- it a mitzvah.

"Fairy tales can come true,

it can happen to you-

when you're young at heart..."

Jimmy Durante from "Pinochio"

Only bad thing was that "reporter" calling him a Conductor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this video! And love Make a Wish Foundation. (Dang these allergies. My eyes area all watery now)!

I have a friend whose 4 year old son wants to go to Disneyland, so Make a Wish is sending him there in August. He didn't want to go without his brothers and sisters, so they are ALL going---Mom, Dad, and 8 siblings! All are adopted, and several are special needs kids. I'll forward this video to that wonderful family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back