Major Stations Under Construction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another station slated to undergo future renovation/reconstruction is MKE. The trainshed/platform area will have significant work performed on it at some point (this project has been delayed time and time again so it is hard to say just when it will get underway).
I recall when the Milwaukee station was new in around 1967 or so. I believe it was the last 'major' railway station built in the US prior to Amtrak....

While having a new and larger Metopolitan Lounge and a larger coach class waiting area will be welcome improvements, one aspect of the new Metopolitan Lounge location concerns me. Pedestrian traffic from the lounge to boarding south side trains will conflict directly with the hordes of commuters coming down the escalators to board BNSF route Metra trains during evening rush hour. Grandma and her luggage are sure to get trampled.
Obviously schedules can change, but let's look at the current schedules of sleeper-equiped trains that depart from the south side. Train 21/421 at 1:45pm, Train 5 at 2:00pm, Train 3 at 3:00pm, Train 50 at 5:45pm, Train 30 at 6:10pm, Train 59 at 8:00pm, and Train 48/448 at 9:30pm. Right now only Trains 30 & 50 are during or near evening rush hour, so most passengers will not be affected by this possible problem. Secondly, if passengers are walked past the current ticket counters, then south to the tracks (rather than past the baggage claim area and next to Tracks 2-4-6-8) they will bypass most of the heavy commuter traffic coming down the escalators/stairs from near the Jackson Blvd. doors.
Those are good points. I had been thinking of the most direct route past the baggage claim area and next to tracks 2 through 8. However, the area in front of the ticket counters is constrained and sometimes very congested too, although not with stampeding commuters. The corridor from there to the southside tracks is also quite narrow. I guess both problems can be resolved if the ticket counters are eventually moved to the Great Hall, and the hallway can be made wider as part of the coach waiting area reconfiguration.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Some pretty interesting stuff, IMHO. The collective knowledge (and opinions :giggle: ) here at AU is impressive!

In addition to the few I mentioned in my previous post here, I believe Charlotte station is slated to move to a new location closer to downtown.
There has been a plan for several years to move the station downtown to the original Southern Railway station site set up as an intermodal station with a track or two for commuter trains. Information can be found on bytrain.org but it has not been updated for several years. I think the estimate is around $100 million.
Found several recent news articles on the status of the Charlotte Gateway Station project. The city put out requests for developers who are interested in building TOD around the station, likely looking for the developer to pick up part of the tab for building the new station complex. Recent news article from March on the hold-up in building the proposed Red Line commuter rail and reference to the CSX and NS track grade separation project (funded by the HSIPR grants) which is needed for the Red Line and, I gather, building the new station. Looks like the new station won't open until the near the end of this decade at the earliest.

In the medium station category, the Alexandria VA station has a $7.4 million funded project to build a new pedestrian tunnel under the tracks leading from the DC Metro King Street station to the sidewalks on the north side of the station. Elevators and stairs will be installed connecting from the 2 platforms to the tunnel. The tunnel is not just for the Amtrak/VRE station, but is also to provide improved pedestrian and bike access to the DC Metro station and King Street from the north side of the tracks.

In the medium station category, the Alexandria VA station has a $7.4 million funded project to build a new pedestrian tunnel under the tracks leading from the DC Metro King Street station to the sidewalks on the north side of the station. Elevators and stairs will be installed connecting from the 2 platforms to the tunnel. The tunnel is not just for the Amtrak/VRE station, but is also to provide improved pedestrian and bike access to the DC Metro station and King Street from the north side of the tracks.
That apparently is the extension of the existing tunnel that connects the two platforms of Alexandria Station to be extended all the way through to King Street station. plus adding elevators. I believe it also includes provision of a platform on the third main track.

Let us not forget the new Atlanta Amtrak Station - either the "temporary" one in the Atlantic Station area or the permanent inter-modal station downtown.

Uh - never mind! I didn't realize you were including only stations that will be built this century.

Let us not forget the new Atlanta Amtrak Station - either the "temporary" one in the Atlantic Station area or the permanent inter-modal station downtown.

Uh - never mind! I didn't realize you were including only stations that will be built this century.
I wondered if anyone was going to mention ATL! I think your time frame could be accurate..

Just to clarify the CUS improvements:

1. The Metro lounge will be located directly across from the "current Metro Deli" (which will be moved or eliminated). It will be a two story lounge with access from the main floor and Canal Street at street level. It will have an elevator and a staircase.
  2. The current Metro lounge and main passenger restrooms will be eliminate and this whole area will be a waiting area.
  3. The ticket offices are to be relocated to the east side (river side) of the Great Hall.
  4. The area across from the current ticket office will be converted into two large restroom facilities.
While having a new and larger Metopolitan Lounge and a larger coach class waiting area will be welcome improvements, one aspect of the new Metopolitan Lounge location concerns me. Pedestrian traffic from the lounge to boarding south side trains will conflict directly with the hordes of commuters coming down the escalators to board BNSF route Metra trains during evening rush hour. Grandma and her luggage are sure to get trampled.
No doubt Grandma and her luggage will be riding in a golf cart from the lounge to trackside.

Unless redcaps take able-bodied people in their golf carts who paid a bribe to the redcap to take them, leaving Grandma and her luggage to fend for herself. ;)

That apparently is the extension of the existing tunnel that connects the two platforms of Alexandria Station to be extended all the way through to King Street station. plus adding elevators. I believe it also includes provision of a platform on the third main track.
No, this will be a new tunnel at ground level. The existing tunnel will be abandoned. Found a 9 page PDF WMATA document portion describing King Street Station access improvements. The focus of the project is on improving access to and through the DC Metro station, not on so much on the Amtrak/VRE station. The new tunnel is called the VRE Passageway Tunnel which shows the primary motivation for constructing the tunnel. What is interesting is that the tunnel will use a knock-out panel in the wall at the King Street Metro station which opened in 1983, so this tunnel has been in the planning documents for a long time.

What the tunnel and elevators will do is not only make it easier for Amtrak passengers dragging luggage with them to get to the King Street Metro station, but also easier to walk to the hotels and businesses across the street and to Old Town Alexandria.

I do not believe that there are plans for a platform on the 3rd track. The long term plans for the Long Bridge to AF Interlocking segment, AFAIK, are for 4 tracks which would be separated into 2 passenger tracks and 2 freight tracks for normal operation. We will see what the plans are for the 2 track Long Bridge bottleneck when the current study group posts documents for public meetings and comments, but that is likely a ways off. (and getting OT for this thread).

Between now and 2014, construction is slated to take place at ORL, KIS, and WPK as the stations are prepared to handle SunRail commuter trains. The same will be true of DLD by 2016. (A total of 13 new SunRail-only stations are being built as well.)

I'm not sure if they qualify as "major" stations as there are no special lounges and such. Even so, excluding SFA/Auto Train, Orlando is the busiest station in Florida (though in a per-train analysis, Tampa is busiest
cool.gif
).

Thinking about the intermodal stations and the various local transit projects, I'm wondering which stations and cities will be getting connections to light rail, streetcars, or BRT type systems in the near future?

Miami has the biggest intermodal station project in the US (correct?) with the Miami Intermodal Center. The new Miami station will have 1000' plus long platforms, a new Miami Metro stop at the airport, and access to the airport car rental operation.

The new station in Norfolk will be adjacent to The Tide LRT Harbor Park stop. The Tide LRT is just a stub line at the present, but it has been enough of a success that the poltical fight apears to be whether to extend it in the direction of the naval base or towards Virginia Beach, not over whether it should be built at all.

The St Paul MN station which is still under construction will be the endpoint of a new LRT line for the Twin cities (2014 projected start date for the LRT).

The Denver station will be the hub as I follow it of the extensive commuter and transit system that Denver is building.

The Hartford CT station will be a stop on the BRT line that CT is building in Hartford.

The Charlotte Gateway station will connect to the Blue Line LRT and planned street car lines, but that station is probably 6-8 years away from opening so it not near term.

Any other stations that currently don't have local rail or BRT transit connections that will get them in the next few years?

No, this will be a new tunnel at ground level. The existing tunnel will be abandoned. Found a 9 page PDF WMATA document portion describing King Street Station access improvements. The focus of the project is on improving access to and through the DC Metro station, not on so much on the Amtrak/VRE station. The new tunnel is called the VRE Passageway Tunnel which shows the primary motivation for constructing the tunnel. What is interesting is that the tunnel will use a knock-out panel in the wall at the King Street Metro station which opened in 1983, so this tunnel has been in the planning documents for a long time.
Good find. Thanks!

[No, this will be a new tunnel at ground level. The existing tunnel will be abandoned. Found a 9 page PDF WMATA document portion describing King Street Station access improvements. The focus of the project is on improving access to and through the DC Metro station, not on so much on the Amtrak/VRE station. The new tunnel is called the VRE Passageway Tunnel which shows the primary motivation for constructing the tunnel. What is interesting is that the tunnel will use a knock-out panel in the wall at the King Street Metro station which opened in 1983, so this tunnel has been in the planning documents for a long time.

What the tunnel and elevators will do is not only make it easier for Amtrak passengers dragging luggage with them to get to the King Street Metro station, but also easier to walk to the hotels and businesses across the street and to Old Town Alexandria.

I do not believe that there are plans for a platform on the 3rd track. The long term plans for the Long Bridge to AF Interlocking segment, AFAIK, are for 4 tracks which would be separated into 2 passenger tracks and 2 freight tracks for normal operation. We will see what the plans are for the 2 track Long Bridge bottleneck when the current study group posts documents for public meetings and comments, but that is likely a ways off. (and getting OT for this thread).

Where do you come up with such great stuff? I knew there was talk, but had no idea it was so far along. And right in my own backyard. It is too bad we'll loose the old tunnel, but the improvements look great. Thanks! :cool:

Just to clarify the CUS improvements:

1. The Metro lounge will be located directly across from the "current Metro Deli" (which will be moved or eliminated). It will be a two story lounge with access from the main floor and Canal Street at street level. It will have an elevator and a staircase.
  2. The current Metro lounge and main passenger restrooms will be eliminate and this whole area will be a waiting area.
  3. The ticket offices are to be relocated to the east side (river side) of the Great Hall.
  4. The area across from the current ticket office will be converted into two large restroom facilities.
No doubt Grandma and her luggage will be riding in a golf cart from the lounge to trackside.

Unless redcaps take able-bodied people in their golf carts who paid a bribe to the redcap to take them, leaving Grandma and her luggage to fend for herself. ;)
No you didn't. ;)

Thinking about the intermodal stations and the various local transit projects, I'm wondering which stations and cities will be getting connections to light rail, streetcars, or BRT type systems in the near future?

Miami has the biggest intermodal station project in the US (correct?) with the Miami Intermodal Center. The new Miami station will have 1000' plus long platforms, a new Miami Metro stop at the airport, and access to the airport car rental operation.

The new station in Norfolk will be adjacent to The Tide LRT Harbor Park stop. The Tide LRT is just a stub line at the present, but it has been enough of a success that the poltical fight apears to be whether to extend it in the direction of the naval base or towards Virginia Beach, not over whether it should be built at all.

The St Paul MN station which is still under construction will be the endpoint of a new LRT line for the Twin cities (2014 projected start date for the LRT).

The Denver station will be the hub as I follow it of the extensive commuter and transit system that Denver is building.

The Hartford CT station will be a stop on the BRT line that CT is building in Hartford.

The Charlotte Gateway station will connect to the Blue Line LRT and planned street car lines, but that station is probably 6-8 years away from opening so it not near term.

Any other stations that currently don't have local rail or BRT transit connections that will get them in the next few years?
I believe that one of the new streetcar lines under construction in New Orleans will go by the Amtrak/Greyhound station.

Anyone know the current status of the work at LAUS?
There was a proposal for "run through" tracks to be added to make a direct connection out the south end of the station. It appears to be on indefinite hold.

Los Angeles Union Station Run-Through Tracks Project
Environmental Impact Statement

An Environmental Impact Report / Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS) has been prepared for the LA Union Station Run-through Tracks Project proposed by the California Department of Transportation (Department). The Department supports the Amtrak's San Diego-Los Angeles-San Luis Obisbo Surfliner rail services, which rely upon LA Union Station and would use the run-through tracks. For this project, the Department is both the project sponsor and the lead agency for purposes of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requirements, and FRA is the lead federal lead agency for NEPA compliance. The Department is also preparing a Program EIR/EIS with FRA for a 20-year improvement program along the existing Los Angeles to San Diego rail corridor.

The EIR/EIS analyzes the potential environmental impacts of the construction of tracks that would allow trains to pass through LA Union Station by extending four of the existing stub-end tracks and connecting them back to the mainline. The construction of the Run-Through Tracks project would reduce trip times for both the Surfliner and Metrolink commuter trains to and from Orange County and points south as well as increasing the capacity of LA Union Station.

The Notice of Availability for the Draft EIR/EIS was published by US EPA in the Federal Register on September 10, 2004. A public hearing was held on October 13, 2004. The comment period closed October 25, 2004. The Final EIR/EIS was released in November 2005.

Download the Final EIR/EIS Executive Summary (1.68mb/pdf)
The direct link is www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/rrdev/larunexsumm.pdf

The age of this document gives a hint at the glacial pace at which the process toward getting anything built now moves. At one time there was a web site for the run through tracks but it appears to no longer exist.

The HSR tracks are also supposed to go through to the south, but that is tied up in all the uproar on the HSR it total.

There are some touch-me-nots in the area south of the station that appear to have significant political clout, that are making the concept somewhere between hopeless or possible only with two slow speed 90 degree turns. There are also a number of other issues that add to the difficulties.

I believe that one of the new streetcar lines under construction in New Orleans will go by the Amtrak/Greyhound station.
You are correct Bob, they've started construction on the streetcar line that will connect with the Amtrak station.

I don't believe that they've started work on the other proposed lines as yet, but they do have plans for more expansions.

There was a proposal for "run through" tracks to be added to make a direct connection out the south end of the station. It appears to be on indefinite hold.

An Environmental Impact Report / Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS) has been prepared for the LA Union Station Run-through Tracks Project proposed by the California Department of Transportation (Department). The Department supports the Amtrak's San Diego-Los Angeles-San Luis Obisbo Surfliner rail services, which rely upon LA Union Station and would use the run-through tracks. For this project, the Department is both the project sponsor and the lead agency for purposes of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requirements, and FRA is the lead federal lead agency for NEPA compliance. The Department is also preparing a Program EIR/EIS with FRA for a 20-year improvement program along the existing Los Angeles to San Diego rail corridor.

The EIR/EIS analyzes the potential environmental impacts of the construction of tracks that would allow trains to pass through LA Union Station by extending four of the existing stub-end tracks and connecting them back to the mainline. The construction of the Run-Through Tracks project would reduce trip times for both the Surfliner and Metrolink commuter trains to and from Orange County and points south as well as increasing the capacity of LA Union Station.

The Notice of Availability for the Draft EIR/EIS was published by US EPA in the Federal Register on September 10, 2004. A public hearing was held on October 13, 2004. The comment period closed October 25, 2004. The Final EIR/EIS was released in November 2005.

The age of this document gives a hint at the glacial pace at which the process toward getting anything built now moves. At one time there was a web site for the run through tracks but it appears to no longer exist.

The HSR tracks are also supposed to go through to the south, but that is tied up in all the uproar on the HSR it total.

There are some touch-me-nots in the area south of the station that appear to have significant political clout, that are making the concept somewhere between hopeless or possible only with two slow speed 90 degree turns. There are also a number of other issues that add to the difficulties.
I answered my own question. The contractor about in February shut it down then fired all its workers. Some time earlier some subs filed liens on the contractor. The contractor walked away from the job. The bond holder has assumed control and a couple of weeks ago approved a new contractor and funding. The job was scheduled to be done in early July. It is now about four months behind. What they are doing is replacing track 12 and restoring tracks 13 and 14 and platform 7 along with the tunnel and access ways and .rehabing all the canopy's. This was needed for increasing Metrolink traffic and shutting down tracks 3 and 4 to put them in a runthrough configuration.

I answered my own question. The contractor about in February shut it down then fired all its workers. Some time earlier some subs filed liens on the contractor. The contractor walked away from the job. The bond holder has assumed control and a couple of weeks ago approved a new contractor and funding. The job was scheduled to be done in early July. It is now about four months behind. What they are doing is replacing track 12 and restoring tracks 13 and 14 and platform 7 along with the tunnel and access ways and .rehabing all the canopy's. This was needed for increasing Metrolink traffic and shutting down tracks 3 and 4 to put them in a runthrough configuration.
3, 4, 5, and 6 are all planned to be run-through tracks. I also believe that tracks 15 and 16 will come back, but that is probably in another round of funding and construction. I saw a really interesting article in the California Rail News about a solution to LAUS issues. I'm not so sure about what would become of the station, as so much business would be moved, but it would assuredly have to at least handle all long-distance trains since there is no time for them to block the two-through platforms.

To read it, go to pages 4 & 5.

3, 4, 5, and 6 are all planned to be run-through tracks. I also believe that tracks 15 and 16 will come back, but that is probably in another round of funding and construction. I saw a really interesting article in the California Rail News about a solution to LAUS issues. I'm not so sure about what would become of the station, as so much business would be moved, but it would assuredly have to at least handle all long-distance trains since there is no time for them to block the two-through platforms.To read it, go to pages 4 & 5.
OK, I've read it.

There is much to say about this article. Since Mr. Tolmach does not have to dela with the reality of bringing his concepts to reality his world is much simpler than that of the people that do have to develop something that can be turned into reality. There are a lot of issues with this concept that are conveniently glossed over or simply ignored completely. Someone who is a regular user of this station could comment on whehter his perceived issues with circulation through the station are reality.

Let's just say that Mr. Tolmach has no credibility with me whatsoever. It appears that anything that the HSR engineers come up he will regard as wrong. Perhaps I had better quit now.

3, 4, 5, and 6 are all planned to be run-through tracks. I also believe that tracks 15 and 16 will come back, but that is probably in another round of funding and construction. I saw a really interesting article in the California Rail News about a solution to LAUS issues. I'm not so sure about what would become of the station, as so much business would be moved, but it would assuredly have to at least handle all long-distance trains since there is no time for them to block the two-through platforms.

You need not worry. Nothing will come of it. All rail advocacy groups have a few who think that they are better at designing things than anyone that actually has the competencies to do so. :) Some are more vocal than others.

By the way, did anyone mention Cleveland? I read in Railfan and Railroad that Cleveland is slated to get a more centrally located station sometime in the future. It was not clear how imminent such is or not, from the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Platform 8 will not be built as it would require major changes to the MTA Headquarters building as it interferes with the tracks 15 and 16.

The recent threads asking how long until the Denver station is done, and the update on Seattle's King St. Station got me thinking about how many of the 'larger' Amtrak stations are currently being worked on. This is what I can think of offhand:

DEN, SEA, PDX (still?), LAX, WAS, NOL, MIA, NYP (has the ceremonial first shovel been shown off?), MSP,

Is the Raleigh station in North Carolina getting work?

What am I missing?
It's already completed, but the Sanford Fl. Auto Train Station just had a major overhaul in the last 3 years. It now has the look and feel (as close as it can) of the Lorton Station.

Regards.

3, 4, 5, and 6 are all planned to be run-through tracks. I also believe that tracks 15 and 16 will come back, but that is probably in another round of funding and construction. I saw a really interesting article in the California Rail News about a solution to LAUS issues. I'm not so sure about what would become of the station, as so much business would be moved, but it would assuredly have to at least handle all long-distance trains since there is no time for them to block the two-through platforms.To read it, go to pages 4 & 5.
OK, I've read it.

There is much to say about this article. Since Mr. Tolmach does not have to dela with the reality of bringing his concepts to reality his world is much simpler than that of the people that do have to develop something that can be turned into reality. There are a lot of issues with this concept that are conveniently glossed over or simply ignored completely. Someone who is a regular user of this station could comment on whehter his perceived issues with circulation through the station are reality.

Let's just say that Mr. Tolmach has no credibility with me whatsoever. It appears that anything that the HSR engineers come up he will regard as wrong. Perhaps I had better quit now.
Hey I never said it was smart or likely! I said interesting! Haha well I defer to your opinions on this matter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back