Lynchburg to Boston and return

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
I will be taking my daughter and 6 year old grandson from Lynchburg to Boston on a Friday in June.

Going north I will use the Northeast Regional coach class to Washington. We will then board the Acela Express to Boston the same day.

On our return trip the following Monday we will take the Northeast Regional business class to New York City then board the Crescent for the final leg to Lynchburg.

Will we be able to avail ourselves of the Club Acela in WAS, BOS and NYP both going and returning?

This trip is costing me $72.50 and 61,500 AGR points.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Best Western Roundhouse in Boston?

I will be taking my daughter and 6 year old grandson from Lynchburg to Boston on a Friday in June.

Going north I will use the Northeast Regional coach class to Washington. We will then board the Acela Express to Boston the same day.

On our return trip the following Monday we will take the Northeast Regional business class to New York City then board the Crescent for the final leg to Lynchburg.

Will we be able to avail ourselves of the Club Acela in WAS, BOS and NYP both going and returning?

This trip is costing me $72.50 and 61,500 AGR points.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Best Western Roundhouse in Boston?
:hi: Unless you are riding in Acela First Class and/or a Sleeper on the Crescent you WILL NOT be able to use the Club Acelas. 61,500 Points is alot for such a trip plus $72+ in Cash?? :eek: Perhaps if you broke down your Itenerary as to types of tickets you Booked (you did mention Coach to WAS)it would be clearer! Sorry, can't help you on the Boston Hotel, we have lots of members that know Boston well, hopefully one can advise!

Sorry for leaving out the details. Also, math error: 51,500 points

LYH to WAS: Northeast Regional, Coach Class $72.50

WAS to BOS: Acela, First Class 31,500 points (10,500 x 3)

BOS to NYP: Northeast Regional, Business Class & NYP to LYH: Crescent, Bedroom Total 20,000

Looks like you will be able to use the Club Acelas both ways, then, since you will be Acela first class going and Crescent sleeper returning. Sounds like a fun trip. I would like to plan a trip to Boston soon, too, I have Fenway Park on my bucket list.

Sounds like a fun trip!

What do you want to know about the hotel?

The Best Western Roundhouse Suites is right across the street from the Boston Medical Center, at the corner of melnea Cass BLVD and Mass Ave. It wouldn't be my personal ideal choice of a hotel in the city just because its not necessarily in a prime neighborhood (its a little south of Back Bay), but the hotel itself is recently renovated and should be OK.

I believe the closest T stop is a few seven blocks north up Mass Ave to the orange line - the "Mass Ave" stop. The hotel advertises itself as being in the south end, but IMO, its not really in the South End. It's a few blocks outside of the ideal parts of that neighborhood, but its easy to walk to the South End from there. The South End has some wonderful restaurants in it! My favorites are The Franklin Cafe, Stella ($$$), the Butcher Shop (Barbara Lynch restaurant), and Tremont 647. Also, the Hen House is very close to your hotel and has very good chicken and waffles.

If you are a good walker, you can also easily walk into Back Bay from the hotel, which is also full of wonderful shopping! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thought: are you taking a cab or planning on taking the subway (the T) to your hotel upon arrival?

if cabbing it, take the train all the way into South Station as it will be easier to get a cab. If you are taking the T, you can detrain at Boston Back Bay and then take the orange line one stop south to Mass Ave.

When I was doing research last year for a conference I was attending that hotel had some good and some bad reviews. Didn't sound horible but it didn't seam very convineinet to the T. I stayed somewhere else.

Most of the hotels I have looked at in Boston are expensive(Over 275+tax per night). I don't want a flea bag but I don't want to blow $1,000 on a three night stay either. Does anyone have a suggestion for a trio of rebels looking for some early American history? I am planning on ariving and departing at South Station.

Most of the hotels I have looked at in Boston are expensive(Over 275+tax per night). I don't want a flea bag but I don't want to blow $1,000 on a three night stay either. Does anyone have a suggestion for a trio of rebels looking for some early American history? I am planning on ariving and departing at South Station.
Boston does have a lot of expensive hotels. When I had to book a hotel there last year, I noticed that hotels in walking distance of T station stops tended to be notably more expensive than those there were not or outside of the city area. One issue that you could be running into for June is people booking the hotels for college graduations making it more difficult to find discounts. Don't have specific suggestions, sorry.

What days are you looking at? Are you willing to try hotwire or priceline?

Boston is a pricey city for hotels.

The Club Quarters, Hilton boston Financial District, Langham, W, and Hyatt Regency are all very close to South Station.

When I went in Boston last year for a convention, I stayed at the Hotel Buckminster. It was an older basic hotel, nothing fancy, but it was very resonably priced compared to other alternatives. Reviews I have seen before and since are either people love it or hate it. I thought the staff was very friendly (they offered the use of a free umbrella on a rainy day), the room was adequate and clean, and it offered a basic contenental breakfast. I would stay there again but I am sure it would not be up to many peoples standards. Look at some revies on Trip Advisor before making your decision.

It wasn't located in the main tourist area, but it was located right next to Fenway Park. Actually when I was there, they had a concert in the ballpark and I was able to open my window (yes the window opened) and listen to the music. I saw the ballpark from my window. It is located about a blcok of the green T which you can use to get downtown. If you are going to ride the T alot get the weekly pass.

When I went, I got off at Back Bay station, walked about 1 block to the green T. I did find that the green T was usually full and sometimes you had to jam into the cars.

When leaving, I left from South Station. I had a red cap hold my bags for a few hours while I was at the conference. When I picked them up, he took me out to the train which I was able to preboard. I got to pick any seat on the train! I tried a few seats before settling on one. I think I tipped him $5 (not sure if that was good or not) but was very happy with that experinance and would do it again.

I am going with my wife to Boston in a couple months and we are staying at the Hyatt Regency because it is close to where we want to go and she isn't into riding mass transit like I am.

We will arrive in Boston Friday, June 8th. at 7:39pm and will need a hotel for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Will spend the weekend walking and touring Boston historic area.

Two of my favorite hotels that can sometimes be gotten for a real bargain are the Double Tree Club and the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston. Both are located along the Red Line, the D-Tree is a long block's walk from the JFK/U-Mass station and the Courtyard is about a 3 to 4 block walk from the Andrew Station. The hotels claims 2 blocks, but they're very looooong blocks IMHO. There are no guarantees of course, I've seen these hotels priced very high depending on circumstances, but for example I've got the D-Tree booked later this month for just $89 with AAA discount.

Another choice that you can sometimes luck out with is the Embassy Suites Airport. One can walk about 4 blocks from the Airport station on the Blue line or one can ride the Silver line from South Station to the Airport and then catch the hotel's 24 hour shuttle to/from the airport.

Finally, you may find this list of hotels by Kevin Korell to be of help in trying to find hotels that are near public rail transportation.

Thanks Alan, I have changed reservations to the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston. Looks like a 13 minute trip by Red Line T, including walking 2 or 3

very long blocks. Will have to check if Courtyard has a shuttle to the station.

Thanks Alan, I have changed reservations to the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston. Looks like a 13 minute trip by Red Line T, including walking 2 or 3

very long blocks. Will have to check if Courtyard has a shuttle to the station.
I know that they have a shuttle, just not sure if they charge for it. I saw something, I think in the hotel's book in the room, that suggested that there might be a charge for it. No idea on the cost. But calling the front desk should answer all questions for you.

If you do decide to walk it, when you come up the escalators you'll want to make an immediate 180 and walk to Dorchester Avenue, which would be the street in front of you. If you come up the elevator, turn right upon exiting and walk to Dorchester. Dorchester after a short half block walk leads to an odd 6 point intersection. There will be a Dunkin Donuts on the corner. Cross from the DD over Southampton/Preble Street to the bank on the other corner. This is Boston Street. Follow Boston as it crosses over the Red Line tracks and a major highway. Shortly after crossing the highway, you'll turn right onto the first street you come to on your right. Note, you actually have to cross Washburn Street to get to the sidewalk. The sidewalk is only on one side of this street. The hotel is visible in front of you. This map should help to give you the lay of the land as it were.

An interesting side note, if you turn right at that DD and walk down Southampton just about 2 blocks, when you're up on the bridge you'll be able to see Amtrak's Southampton Yard where all the trains in Boston go for work & storage.

I've always found this hotel to be clean, with decent accommodations. They offer both a full service breakfast or a buffet, your choice.

Andrew is the second stop after you leave South Station, the first is Broadway. The actual ride is maybe 5 minutes, if that. Consider buying a day or even a 7 Day pass, depending on just how many trips you expect to take each day. A one ride ticket is $2.00. A 7 day pass is $15. So if you expect to hit a subway and/or a bus at least 7 times while you're in Boston, you'd have spent $14 on single ride tickets. If you're going to be there for 3 days, then you only need to take 2.5 rides each day to save money with the pass.

You can buy that pass either from a ticket vending machine down by the subway entrance, or a TVM on the Amtrak level, or from a live agent at the Commuter rail ticket windows.

The Red line offers two services, one to Ashmont and one to Braintree. At South Station both operate on the same track. You do NOT want to go to Alewife! That's the wrong direction.

The two services split at the JFK/U Mass station, one stop further than you need to go. So you don't care which Red Line train comes first, you can board either one to get to Andrew.

PS. The fare information is correct at present. The T is however considering a major fare increase that could be in place by the time you take your trip, so you'll have to check things again as you get closer.

PS. The fare information is correct at present. The T is however considering a major fare increase that could be in place by the time you take your trip, so you'll have to check things again as you get closer.
The fare increases proposed actually wouldn't go into effect until July 1st, so the OP would not be affected since they are traveling in June.

In case anyone was curious, once the changes are made, under either current MBTA proposal the fare will go up to $3 and a 7 day pass will be $20.

Alan has given some great suggestions, and the hotel he suggested is clean and affordable. Personally I would have stuck with your original hotel, as it least on a nice day it would be a long walk - but a walk - to the Back Bay neighborhood or South End. Your new hotel is in a location where one MUST take the T to get to anything interesting. But it is definitely easier to get to from south Station than your original hotel, and much closer to the T than your original hotel as well.

I would still advocate checking hotwire repeatedly. I looked for your dates and definitely the prices are sky high that weekend. I was surprised to see 3.5 and 4 star hotels for $200+ on those dates. Early June is a great time to visit Boston because its not too hot and the weather should be nice. I hope you have a great time coming to visit our lovely city.

To explore historical Boston, there is a Freedom Trail that connects between Common Parks (just south of Mass. capitol) and Bunker Hill. The trail is marked with painted red line or bricks. It shouldn't be hard to find. Depending on your choices, it last a day or two. Landmarks along the trail are oldest Boston cemetery, Old North Church, Paul Revere's home/shop, Bunker Hill, USS Constitution (Old Ironside), and few more.

Thanks "y'all" thats southern for your northern "you guys". "amamba" visiting Boston has been on my Bucket List for several years. I know my 6 year old grandson will realy enjoy it. He has been wanting to come to Boston for over a year. I think it has something to do with the Acela.

I have always found the information on this forum has been good and full of helpful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back