Luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredandgingermad

Train Attendant
I'm taking the Northeast Regional from New York to Washington DC in July (amongst other trains) I'm coming from the UK with my 4 year old and our final destination is Los Angeles so we'll' have a fair amount of luggage with us. I'm aware that theres no checked baggage on this service (or on another route i'm taking between Omaha and Kansas City) does anyone have any recommendation on baggage regarding Amtrak's limits on carryons.. When i went from Chicago to Minot last year checked baggage wasn't available then and i was able to take a regular sized suitcase (think airline max for economy) but i wasn't travelling during vacation times :/

I've had a look at suitcase sizes but i'm all at sea (and i need a new suitcase)! but i don't (obviously) want to run into problems with Amtrak because of suitcase being to big!

Last edited by a moderator:
On Amtrak, no "regular" suitcase is to big. The biggest problem you'll have is fitting it on the plane. As you know, Amtrak's luggage racks are oversized and open, so if it fits on a plane, it will fit on the train easily. In NY and Washington, I recommend you utilize a Red Cap to help you with your baggage. Also, many items are not counted towards the carry-on limit. These include things like

• Coats
  • Sweaters
  • Pillows
  • Purses
  • etc ...

Also, how are you getting from Omaha to KC?
huh.gif

So if i just go by the airlines restrictions it'll be fine on Amtrak right?

We'll have two suitcases, 2 airline sized carryon's and possibly a car seat and stroller

From Omaha to KC we're taking the California Zephyr as far as Galesburg and then the SW Chief to KC, the longest part seems to be the stop in Galesburg :)

Based upon my observations, passengers tend to bring more carry-ons than they can manage. Yes purses, laptop cases, diaper bags, car seats and strollers don't count towards the TWO carry-on limit, however it's not unusual to see passengers struggling through a station or down the platform with too much in their hands. I've seen passengers carrying two or three things in each hand, carrying a toddler, pulling along another kid, a pillow and a car seat and a laptop. I've seen people doing all this and then trying to get on an escalator. It's unsafe. I suggest that if you are boarding and de-training at stops without checked baggage and/or Red Cap assistance that you don't bring along more than you can manage on your own. Also, if you are going to need some assistance, it always helps if you put it in your reservation as a special service request. It's not a guarantee but it informs the train and OBS crew that you'll need some help.

Thanks for the tip regarding luggage limitations, thankfully my laptop will have to be in my airline size carryon because Virgin Atlantic only allow one piece of handluggage, my carseat also doubles as a rucksack which saves having to carry it in my hand :) The biggest problem i can see is if i bring my stroller, even though my daughter's 4 i can see it being useful especially in NYC if she gets tired, although thankfully its got a carry handle.

But its made me realise i'll have the same issues when travelling in London to the airport because they can get really fussy about people having a lot of luggage to handle, so thanks for making me actually think about this realistically lol :)

From Omaha to KC we're taking the California Zephyr as far as Galesburg and then the SW Chief to KC, the longest part seems to be the stop in Galesburg :)
If I am waiting for an early train In Galesburg I usually hang out at Innkeepers, an excellent coffee shop, a block and a half north of the station on Seminary Street. If it is later in the day, I head for Crappy's Sports Pub a half block east on Main Street. Crappy's isn't a pub in the UK sense, rather a fine example of a Midwestern hill-billy honky tonk.

Is that the sort of place i could take a child? I've asked about Galesburg elsewhere and noone so far seems to have much of an idea what's actually there lol, as we've got 6 hours there the last thing i wanna do is spend that long in a station with a 4 year old :/

:hi: Theres a nice Train Museum with Equipment to tour on the side of the Amtrak Station there, also several Mom and Pop Resturants on the street in front of the station that runs towards the main road through town! Google up Galesburg, there is lots of good info on the web, its a pretty nice town!

Is that the sort of place i could take a child? I've asked about Galesburg elsewhere and noone so far seems to have much of an idea what's actually there lol, as we've got 6 hours there the last thing i wanna do is spend that long in a station with a 4 year old :/
No problem. But if you aren't interested in a honky-tonk, try the more upscale Seminary Street Pub (Galesburg must have a lot of ex-Brits :giggle: ) only 1/2 block north of the station, or the Landmark Cafe & Creperie, also 1/2 block north of the staion, or even the Packinghouse Dining Co. across the street from the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back