Luggage space on Coast Starlight coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Nole

Taking a short hop from San Diego to LA and will have 1 carry on suitcase plus shoulder tote. If I use the Starlight to LA and book a coach seat, where will I place my carry on suitcase? Is there a separate luggage area at the ends of the car or an overhead rack wide enough to fit a fully stuffed 22x14x9?

Are you riding a Surfliner out of San Diego? The Coast Starlight starts in LA. The superliners used on western trains have large rack on the lower level of the car in the middle next to the doors. For small items there are racks above you seats on the upper level.

Are you riding a Surfliner out of San Diego? The Coast Starlight starts in LA. The superliners used on western trains have large rack on the lower level of the car in the middle next to the doors. For small items there are racks above you seats on the upper level.
Wait, this guy is talking about Superliners, which are used on the CS, but not the Pacific Surfliner! The CS does not go SAN-LAX, the Pacific Surfliner does! The PS uses special California Cars, which I don't know much about, but seating is unreserved so baggage may also be a problem.

Taking a short hop from San Diego to LA and will have 1 carry on suitcase plus shoulder tote. If I use the Starlight to LA and book a coach seat, where will I place my carry on suitcase? Is there a separate luggage area at the ends of the car or an overhead rack wide enough to fit a fully stuffed 22x14x9?
Are you perhaps riding a Pacific Surfliner train? Or are you going to Ride the Pacific Surfliner then connect to the Coast Starlight?

Scenario 1:

Just if your riding just the Surfliner train There is overhead racks for your luggage. If you have oversized bags you can sit on the lower level with them. These trains are Double Deckers!

Scenario 2:

If your Riding the Surfliner and the Starlight. I have already mentioned the Surfliner luggage situation. On the Coast Starlight. Depending on your stations you can check you large bags to your destination and take a carry on. If you can't check your large bags. Once on the train there is luggage storage for your larger bags. There are also overhead racks for your carry ons in coach and space in Sleeping compartments for carry ons. You'll be all set!

Enjoy your trip!

The overhead bin on Superliner which Coast Starlight will be using is much larger than the airlines' overhead bins. Your suitcase should be easily fit right in. Also, it has luggage rack on lower level. It usually used for large luggage.

I do remember that the San Joaquin trains has smaller overhead bin (due to its doors). However, I don't remember about the Pacific Surfliner cars. For extra large suitcase, there are luggage bin on lower level.

FYI, Pacific Surfliners serve between San Diego - Los Angeles - San Luis Obispo corridor. It "flight" number is generally 500s and 700s. Coast Starlight (#11 & 14) is a long distance train that serves between Los Angeles and Seattle, WA.

Are you perhaps riding a Pacific Surfliner train? Or are you going to Ride the Pacific Surfliner then connect to the Coast Starlight?

Scenario 1:

Just if your riding just the Surfliner train There is overhead racks for your luggage. If you have oversized bags you can sit on the lower level with them. These trains are Double Deckers!

Scenario 2:

If your Riding the Surfliner and the Starlight. I have already mentioned the Surfliner luggage situation. On the Coast Starlight. Depending on your stations you can check you large bags to your destination and take a carry on. If you can't check your large bags. Once on the train there is luggage storage for your larger bags. There are also overhead racks for your carry ons in coach and space in Sleeping compartments for carry ons. You'll be all set!

Enjoy your trip!
Note that the CS also uses double-deckers, but they are designed for long-distance travel istead of short-distance. The California Cars on the PS aren't that confortable.

Some Surfliner consists do have Superliners in them some are even painted in Surfliner colors. If there is a Superliner in the consist there would only be one.

Boy! Sorry for all the mix up, which happens when I don't verify the similar sounding train names ahead of time! I am riding the Pacific Surfliner from San Diego to LA, not the Starlight. Sorry. So, in case there's a difference, if I use the SURFLINER to LA and book a coach seat, where will I place my carry on suitcase? Is there a separate luggage area at the ends of the car or an overhead rack wide enough to fit a fully stuffed 22x14x9?

The Surfliner cars used on the Surfliner train have open (no doors) overhead bins above each seat that easilly fit a standard size carry-on bag.

And there are luggage racks downstairs, and upstairs at the head of the stairs. The stairs are a straight flight, not the twisty fat man's misery on the Superliners. Enjoy your trip!

I prefer the newer Surfliner cars as the tray tables are much better to set my laptop on and they more closely match what I'm used to in Northern California on the 6000 series cars. But as said before there is ample luggage space. Unless you are traveling during the busy Thanksgiving rush you can generally find luggage space in the racks at the end of the car more often than not.

Just be mindful that downstairs seating areas are for Seniors, Disabled individuals, and those who can not negotiate the stairs. So if you are able to negotiate the luggage be prepared to bring it up the stairs with you unless you don't mind it sitting downstairs out of sight. If that is a large concern, Checked Baggage service is available both at SAN and LAX.

Note that certain train departures do use single level equipment. Those trains usually have an area of seats that have been removed to store luggage behind at the end of the car unless a wheelchair is occupying the space. You have to get up a few steps to enter the train.

Just be mindful that downstairs seating areas are for Seniors, Disabled individuals, and those who can not negotiate the stairs. So if you are able to negotiate the luggage be prepared to bring it up the stairs with you unless you don't mind it sitting downstairs out of sight. If that is a large concern, Checked Baggage service is available both at SAN and LAX.
I'm 65 but healthy and can negotiate the stairs if it's better for storing luggage. I'll see when it's time to board.

Thanks for all the responses!!!!

Dosen't look too comfy to me! Hope this helps!
Well it's far more comfy than all buses, save a true luxury bus.
And when did I mention a bus in this thread?
You didn't. But your love of buses is well known and since you were saying that the train didn't look all that comfy, I provided a comparison that was less comfy. That's all!
Hmm, as always, depends on what type of bus. You could have said "It's far more comfy than all transit buses" or something like that. Just saying don't get stereotypical.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't. But your love of buses is well known and since you were saying that the train didn't look all that comfy, I provided a comparison that was less comfy. That's all!
Hmm, as always, depends on what type of bus. You could have said "It's far more comfy than all transit buses" or something like that. Just saying don't get stereotypical.
I did say:

That in my mind means more comfortable than anything Greyhound has, Mega, transit buses, long haul coaches, etc. The only thing more comfy than those train seats would be something like that offered by LimoLiner between Boston & NY. The seats in the slideshow on the home page are more comfy.

I did say:

That in my mind means more comfortable than anything Greyhound has, Mega, transit buses, long haul coaches, etc. The only thing more comfy than those train seats would be something like that offered by LimoLiner between Boston & NY. The seats in the slideshow on the home page are more comfy.
Actually, a D4505 is more comfortable than a Surfliner Calafornia Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back