Luggage Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Traveler

Service Attendant
We usally travel on Amtrak for several days on long-distance trains, but have talked about going to the East Coast from Pittsburgh. Our luggage has never been a problem, but if we were going to use Amtrak for a longer-term trip out to the East Coast, does Amtrak have a way to handle larger luggage? We are going to Baltimore for a cruise in June and are taking a bus from Pittsburgh (a bus to Bermuda tour, as they call it). I looked at alternative train trips from Pittsburgh to Baltimore, but there was no luggage car on all the trains.

Thanks!

Although the Pennsylvanian and most Regionals (except 66/67) do not have checked baggage, you can check baggage from PGH to BAL. it won't be on the same train as you though. Between PGH and WAS, you both can ride the CL. However, between WAS and BAL, even though you can not ride most LD trains (like the Crescent or the Silver trains), your bags can! :excl:

If the times of those trains are not good for you to wait at the BAL station to pick up your bags, you may want to send them to BAL the day before you take the train. (They will be held in a secure location.)

As long as the bags are within the size limits for checked baggage and do not exceed 50 pounds each, you may check up to 2 bags per ticketed passenger free of charge! (So if say 4 people are traveling, you could check a total of 8 bags free!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Our plans are already made on this trip to Baltimore, but we've wanted to go up to Portland, Maine, and rent a car from there to go back up to Acadia. Sending it the day before seems like a good option.

Thanks. Our plans are already made on this trip to Baltimore, but we've wanted to go up to Portland, Maine, and rent a car from there to go back up to Acadia. Sending it the day before seems like a good option.
Unfortunately, Portland, ME does not have any checked baggage service. The farthest you could check them would be to Boston.

Unless you're carrying exorbitant amounts of baggage (substantially more than the generous carry-on limit, and more than you can actually carry) you'll be able to fit your baggage into the Downeaster. If you're taking multiple steamer trunks, you will have a problem.

Also, in Boston you have to switch train stations. The trains to Maine depart from North Station. All other Amtrak trains use South Station.

You could easily switch between them via the "T" from Back Bay Station directly to North Station. However, if you have a lot of luggage, it is recommended to use a cab between South Station and North Station. :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I thought we had to change stations in Boston. I am sure when we get around to setting up this trip that I'll know all the ins and outs better. All the trains from Pittsburgh to Portland would be day trains.

We don't do steamer trunks, so I think it will all work out! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back