LSL - SWC - Pacific Surfliner Advice Requested

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Hi:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I will be going from NYP to SAN next summer, and booked the itinerary listed below. I have reviewed many posts in these forums for hints and tips and have listed those I picked up as well, but would appreciate any comments or feedback.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]LSL NYP to CHI. Booked roomette 2 in the 4911 car[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]From what I can tell on this board, Amtrak does a decent job with checked baggage as long as start and end points offer checked service, so will check my big bag, and take a smaller one with me on board. From what I can tell, small bag should fit in the cubby above the door in the Viewliner roomette.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Considered taking big bag in the roomette with me as well, and sleeping in the top berth. Thoughts?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]SWC CHI to LAX. Booked bedroom E in the 0330 car[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Assuming LSL is on time, will check my small bag in the Metropolitan Lounge while spending a few hours in Chicago before boarding the SWC[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Again, big bag could stay with me in a bedroom, and I could check it in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago as well. Again, thoughts? I had it with me once before in a bedroom on the Crescent 6 or 7 years ago, and it wasn’t too difficult to navigate in the room.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pacific Surfliner LAX to SAN. Booked a business class seat[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Will hang out in the Metropolitan Lounge at LAX between trains. If the SWC is late, looks like there are additional options later in the day.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I will bring with me a power strip, some duct tape, clothes pins, route guides, some snacks, wipes, and a flashlight. Scanner would be fun, but as I don't do this regularly (third overnight Amtrak trip in 20 years), not sure it's worth the investment. May bring some liquor with me, but know that it can be consumed only in my sleeping compartment. Will stretch my legs on the platform at longer stops along the way. Will dress in comfortable layers. Will not read in the Superliner Lounge car if there are others waiting for seats to take in the scenery. Will tip the SCA and dining car folks appropriately.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Did I miss anything?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks![/SIZE]

Outstanding! Sleeping in the top bunk in a Viewliner Roomette and leaving downstairs set up in day time configuration is what lots of us do!

You will have the Big Luggage Rack downstairs on the Superliner Train out of Chicago, so you don't have to take it upstairs to your Bedroom, just take what you need and you can always get what you need as you travel!

I suggest using a Redcap in CHI and LSX to board your trains, especially if you don't check Luggage. They will take you on a Cart and you don't have to make the Long walks through the Station and on the Platforms.

No real need to buy a Scanner unless you have other use for it when you return home!

Don't forget to take some of your favorite snacks aboard, the stuff sold in the cafes is convienencce store quality and airport priced!

Chicago has a Walgreen's and CVS close by Union Station ( they even sell Wine!) and Whole Foods isnt far either if you want healthy stuff!

LA Union Station has a convienence store right in the Station and several quickie food joints but the snacks in theeyro Lounge are excellent! And don't forget that Phillipe is a couple of blocks away,excellent Breakfasts and Deli Food with World Famous Dip Sandwiches!

I also take my GPS with me so I know where the train is located. Like Jim said, I generally leave my large bag downstairs in the luggage rack on the Superliners. Now, I also always carry a bottle of water just in case, it is extra weight, but over the decades of travel it has come in very handy more than a couple times. Something I love to do is to watch the scenery passing by while listening to music either in my room or in the SSL. For me this is very relaxing. Again, I agree with Jim that it is much better sleeping above on the viewliner. Also, if during the night you find you want or need to sit up for a while, the lower is ready and waiting. Actually one of the advantages of the Viewliner. This sound like a great trip going coast to coast.

When you get to Chicago, check in at the Met Lounge (Red Cap from the LSL will take you there and get you checked in) first since there can be a long line starting between 10 - 11 AM because four trains (TE, CZ, SWC, EB) all board during about a 90 minute window.

Sit and back and enjoy. Hope you have a great trip with lots of great memories to tell.

Thanks so much for the prompt replies and additional information. Sounds like I will probably take my bags with me, and make use of sky cap services. Glad I read about (and had confirmed here) sleeping in the upper berth a Viewliner roomette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back