LSL Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
Recently upon a trip from Bos to Cle, we had a roomette from Alb to Cle on the LSL. A few minutes after settling into our room, a diner attedant stopped to get our dinner reservations. Once that time came, the diner was full and we were told it might be a 30 to 40 minute wait. Someone told us that the diner was inundated with coach passengers that had boarded at Albany.

It kind of negates the idea of a reservation if that situation is allowed. It's reminiscent of the Seinfeld episode where he had a reservation to rent a car but when he went to pick it up, they didn't have it. They know how to take the reservation but they don't know how to hold the reservation.

If the reservation means nothing then wouldn't we be smarter next time to just order from our room and have it brought to us? I thought that was an option with all the changes with the diner cars over the last several years.

It isn't the first time we've had problems in the diner of the LSL. Funny, though, in all of our other thousands of miles of travel with Amtrak, we've always enjoyed the diner experience.

Recently upon a trip from Bos to Cle, we had a roomette from Alb to Cle on the LSL. A few minutes after settling into our room, a diner attedant stopped to get our dinner reservations. Once that time came, the diner was full and we were told it might be a 30 to 40 minute wait. Someone told us that the diner was inundated with coach passengers that had boarded at Albany.It kind of negates the idea of a reservation if that situation is allowed. It's reminiscent of the Seinfeld episode where he had a reservation to rent a car but when he went to pick it up, they didn't have it. They know how to take the reservation but they don't know how to hold the reservation.

If the reservation means nothing then wouldn't we be smarter next time to just order from our room and have it brought to us? I thought that was an option with all the changes with the diner cars over the last several years.

It isn't the first time we've had problems in the diner of the LSL. Funny, though, in all of our other thousands of miles of travel with Amtrak, we've always enjoyed the diner experience.
The most likely reason for your wait is simply that the people before you lingered longer than expected by the dining crew therefore the car was fuller than expected.

I believe the only place you will find that you're afforded ordering from your room and have it brought to you is in the Passengers with Disabilities section of the website. The reason that only disabled passengers are offered the choice of receiving this service should be obvious! Consider this, if too many occupants of a sleeper car who are not disabled started asking for that service, is there any doubt that a sleeper attandant would not be able to handle the volume, or would the kitchen be able to handle the load? If I'm wrong about this service not being mentioned outside of the disabilities section of the website, please tell me where it is mentioned!

Now, on the other hand... can you ask your attendant if they will provide this service to you if you're not disabled? Of course you can, but don't automatically assume that room service is included in the cost of your trip or that you'll get a yes answer to your request. The attendant just might have to tell you no! If the attendant does agree to serve you in your room, keep in mind when it's time to tip, that the service to non-disabled is not really part of his duties!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the attendant does agree to serve you in your room, keep in mind when it's time to tip, that the service to non-disabled is not really part of his duties!
Yea, I would say a $20 at a minimum!

I believe the only place you will find that you're afforded ordering from your room and have it brought to you is in the Passengers with Disabilities section of the website. The reason that only disabled passengers are offered the choice of receiving this service should be obvious! Consider this, if too many occupants of a sleeper car who are not disabled started asking for that service, is there any doubt that a sleeper attandant would not be able to handle the volume, or would the kitchen be able to handle the load? If I'm wrong about this service not being mentioned outside of the disabilities section of the website, please tell me where it is mentioned!

Now, on the other hand... can you ask your attendant if they will provide this service to you if you're not disabled? Of course you can, but don't automatically assume that room service is included in the cost of your trip or that you'll get a yes answer to your request. The attendant just might have to tell you no! If the attendant does agree to serve you in your room, keep in mind when it's time to tip, that the service to non-disabled is not really part of his duties!
Food service in a roomette or bedroom is certainly not restricted to handicapped/disabled passengers only. The sleeping car attendant will provide this service, however a tip would be in order. As far as overloading the chef, all to-go orders are processed in line with the standard orders from the dining car.

So on my upcoming LSL trip (2 weeks! yip yip!) the wise thing to do would be to take the earliest available dining reservation, even if we're not necessarily hungry yet?

I find that Amtrak leaves me feeling overfull after the first meal, anyway. So it's never been an issue with me. On any stay in a sleeper, it feels like eat-sit-eat-sit-eat-sleep. Not complaining. But it's never a worry.

Recently upon a trip from Bos to Cle, we had a roomette from Alb to Cle on the LSL. A few minutes after settling into our room, a diner attedant stopped to get our dinner reservations. Once that time came, the diner was full and we were told it might be a 30 to 40 minute wait. Someone told us that the diner was inundated with coach passengers that had boarded at Albany.
I can't say with any certainty just what happened, although most likely they just fell behind in serving people. However I can tell you that the idea of the diner being inundated by coach pax is wrong, especially pax from Albany. Sleeping car passengers get first dibs at the various reservation times. Then and only then are reservations offered to coach passengers, assuming that there are any times left. Coach passengers aren't just allowed to show up and sit down in the diner.

Food service in a roomette or bedroom is certainly not restricted to handicapped/disabled passengers only. The sleeping car attendant will provide this service, however a tip would be in order. As far as overloading the chef, all to-go orders are processed in line with the standard orders from the dining car.
I'm not saying that it has to be restricted as you stated. I'm just saying that IMO Amtrak does not presume an able bodied person to be in need of room service. If they did I have a feeling you'd be paying even more for first class accomodation reservations that you already are! In other words... if you can do the diner, then you should!

Now are there legit reasons for a non-disabled passenger to need service in their room? Of course there are, but I'm not going to mention or discuss what I feel are good reasons. There could be some out there lurking that could and probably would abuse or take advantage of that knowledge!

I'm not saying that it has to be restricted as you stated. I'm just saying that IMO Amtrak does not presume an able bodied person to be in need of room service.
It's not only helping you, it's helping them. Sometimes they even ask people if they'd like their meal in their room (I have had this happen), because the train is full and they know that otherwise there will be some people who will not get to eat. Not only that, but the sleeping car attendant gets an extra $10 or $20 as a tip for probably 5 minutes extra work.

I'm not saying that it has to be restricted as you stated. I'm just saying that IMO Amtrak does not presume an able bodied person to be in need of room service.
It's not only helping you, it's helping them. Sometimes they even ask people if they'd like their meal in their room (I have had this happen), because the train is full and they know that otherwise there will be some people who will not get to eat. Not only that, but the sleeping car attendant gets an extra $10 or $20 as a tip for probably 5 minutes extra work.
Excellent points and I don't really disagree, but I still think that the attendant has the right to say either yes or no because it's an extra, not an inclusionary element of your reservation. And as such the attendant should never be deciplined by their supervisor for saying no to a first class passenger, at least up and until the time that Amtrak makes it an official policy change that room service is part of your reservation. But I tend to doubt you'll see that happen without factors and elements being different than they currently exist!

Excellent points and I don't really disagree, but I still think that the attendant has the right to say either yes or no because it's an extra, not an inclusionary element of your reservation. And as such the attendant should never be deciplined by their supervisor for saying no to a first class passenger, at least up and until the time that Amtrak makes it an official policy change that room service is part of your reservation. But I tend to doubt you'll see that happen without factors and elements being different than they currently exist!
You could not be more incorrect. The attendant has no right to say no to a legal/logical request of a sleeping car passenger. Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, the attendant is expected to agree to any and all requests of a sleeping car passenger. I would fully expect a supervisor to discipline an attendant for saying No to a paying passenger. It is called Customer Service! Unfortunately the disciplining is not done often enough.

Last week I overheard a sleeping car attendant introduce himselft and explain to the passengers that he considered them to be "his guests" and please let him know if he could do anything for them - including providing dinner in their room.

You could not be more incorrect.
I respect your right to think differently than I do, but I do stand by all that I've said! But if you're so doggone sure that I am incorrect, then please back up your contention by providing me with proof positive so that I too will know that I'm wrong! If you can, then I will stand humbly corrected!

I AGREE!!!

Can you imagine 50% of the sleepers on a particular car wanting Dinner Room Service? I Don't Think Sooo! Unless the bed configuration majically happens or they ad an assistant to the diner for just that purpose ( 1 food runner to service all sleeper cars?), maybe??? :unsure:

Food for thought, pun intended!!! B)

I respect your right to think differently than I do, but I do stand by all that I've said! But if you're so doggone sure that I am incorrect, then please back up your contention by providing me with proof positive so that I too will know that I'm wrong! If you can, then I will stand humbly corrected!
Under TASC (Train Attendant - Sleeping Car) En Route Responsibilities.

Page 6-62 of the Crew Functions & Responsibilities - Service Standards Manual No. 4:

f. In Room Meal Service:

"In room meal service" is available to every passenger.

Any passenger who has a disability must be offered in room meal service

The TASC must notify the LSA-Diner of any passenger who would like meals in their room.

The TASC is responsible for taking the passenger's order to the LSA-Diner and serving the prepared meal to the passenger.

It goes on the describe that the meal must be served on a dinner plate, covered, etc, etc. and that the TASC is also responsible for disposing of trash and return all food service items to the Dining Car LSA. It also states that is no charge for room service.

I'm not making this stuff up. They cannot say no and still be within the guidelines of the Service Standards.

Page 6-62 of the Crew Functions & Responsibilities - Service Standards Manual No. 4:

f. In Room Meal Service:

The TASC must notify the LSA-Diner of any passenger who would like meals in their room.

The TASC is responsible for taking the passenger's order to the LSA-Diner and serving the prepared meal to the passenger.

It goes on the describe that the meal must be served on a dinner plate, covered, etc, etc. and that the TASC is also responsible for disposing of trash and return all food service items to the Dining Car LSA. It also states that is no charge for room service.

I'm not making this stuff up. They cannot say no and still be within the guidelines of the Service Standards.

No big deal here for me! But, I'd like to see this game plan in the "ACTION STAGE"! I'd bet on it being a comedy act! (just not too funny for the food recepients)!

f. In Room Meal Service:

No big deal here for me! But, I'd like to see this game plan in the "ACTION STAGE"! I'd bet on it being a comedy act! (just not too funny for the food recepients)!
It is no big deal. If you travel in sleepers very much, you will see plenty of attendants going back and forth to the dining car to get meals for their passengers. It is worth great tip money and takes only a short time. Many LSAs in the dining car will even make announcements to the attendant that their order is ready for pick-up. Now, if you want to carry it to illogical extremes, there is very little doubt it would be a real mess if every passenger asked for in-room meal service, but that does not happen.

f. In Room Meal Service:

I've seen plenty of able bodied people request their meals be brought to them, and all attendants have complied. A few might have walked away muttering under their breath, but the meals did arrive. Now I have seen a few stories on the various boards over the year where people have relayed an attendant's refusal, but they are definately in the minority.

And I agree with Haolerider that an attendant cannot refuse. **** off the attendant and who knows what you might get, but they still can't refuse.

That said, if you do request a meal be brought to you, I would urge you to be flexible with the delivery time, as the attendant needs to fit that request into their schedule and additionally you don't know what's going on in the dining car at that time that could delay things a bit. I would also urge you to make an immediate tip for this service upon completion of the meal. Don't include the tip in your regular tip at the end of the run.

By the way, the sleeping car attendant doesn't just carry your meal to you and bring the tray back. It's their job to get all the drinks, silverware, condiments, and stuff like that. Only the food from the kitchen side is not technically handled by them. Basically they do everything that a waiter in the diner must do, including filling out your check to order the food.

I find that Amtrak leaves me feeling overfull after the first meal, anyway. So it's never been an issue with me. On any stay in a sleeper, it feels like eat-sit-eat-sit-eat-sleep. Not complaining. But it's never a worry.
I agree completely!

I keep thinking of that, as people here sometimes go on and on about what snacks to bring, and how to store them, in their room. The last thing I ever want when I am in a sleeper, is more food!

Wow, sleeping car attendants must be some of the most hard worked people in America! :eek: Next time I'm rich enough to afford a sleeper, I'll have to remember to tip mine well.

f. In Room Meal Service:

I stand humbly corrected as I said I would! :blush:

I did finally find on the Texas Eagle Amtrak site where it states that the service is availaible to holders of sleeping class rooms as an option if asked!

I guess that I just hate the thought of an attendant being used (or abused) when someone is quite capable of getting their butt to the diner and requests the room service just because they can and without the slightest of good reasons to do so!

I guess that I just hate the thought of an attendant being used (or abused) when someone is quite capable of getting their butt to the diner and requests the room service just because they can and without the slightest of good reasons to do so!
Well, like I said, just remember that it is not only for the passengers' benefit, it is for Amtrak's benefit as well. The dining cars are perpetually overworked, moreso now probably than ever. (The meals may be simplified, but the staff's been cut at the same time.) And it's not "abusing" the car attendant if you give them an extra tip for the room service. If anything, it's abusing the passengers, because we're paying for what's advertised as a "free" service. Such is the tipping culture in this country... (tipping is not universal).

I have also noticed where the sleeper TA snuck in a snack or a full meal while waiting for pax meals. Sometimes the meals waited on him/her to finish theirs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back