LSL Coach report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
I took the Lake Shore Limited 6/22 CHI-ROC and 6/26 ROC-CHI. This is a segment I travel a couple times each year. Previously I always rode in business class, but since the elimination of this class of service, I have been riding in coach.

Demand remains clearly high - outbound the listed capacity was 90%, and return the trip was sold out - though I had an empty seat next to me for both (there were numerous empty seats in my car despite "sold out"). There were some of the usual Amtrak issues - the outbound coach car I was in was mostly clean except for a spill of potato chips in one seat (not sure how that was missed). The return coach car had a malfunctioning seat recline in my row that would have been miserable for an overnight trip. Windows were clean on both cars and appeared to be recently washed - guessing from the pretty consistent streaking on the windows that looked like the result of a wash job. Both trains operated +/- 15 minutes of scheduled operating times.

What struck me on this particular trip was how an Amtrak ride is essentially a long list of things that you can't do, rather than what you can do/enjoy. A smattering of announcements/moments overheard:

If you are occupying the seat next to you, you will be charged a second full fare.
You can only sit in one half of the cafe car.
You can't move your seat because of the destination card above it (unclear why the card can't be moved).
You can't go to the cafe car at all after 8:30 a.m. to prepare for the arrival into Chicago (!)
The cafe itself is not opening at all on the outbound trip (9:30 p.m. departure)
You are responsible for keeping your own bathrooms clean (!)

Announcements that were not made:

What is available in the cafe car for purchase (for first-time passengers)
Where to throw your garbage (everyone does it in the bathroom as it's not clear)
Anything whatsoever related to passenger comfort
The crew announced as we were pulling into Buffalo that there would be no smoke/fresh air break due to platform construction. There was no advance warning for people who smoke.

None of this really impacted me all that much, but the whole trip had a Greyhound-esque feel to it that wasn't very pleasant.

Amtrak really should consider designating at least one coach car as a quiet car. In essence, this is what business class was. Since conductors are not going to enforce any sort of standards in regard to playing of music without headphones, talking on phones, etc. (it's interesting these are not among the list of things you can't do), create a space where people can have complete quiet. We might even pay more for it!

The way Amtrak runs their cafe' cars is abysmal. From using tables to store boxes and supplies; taking over an hour to open after leaving the original station; kicking people out of the cafe' with over an hour left in the trip; running out of most food midtrip and my favorite occupying several tables for crew only. I get it we are all trapped on the train with no where to go but can they at least try? What is the worse that would happen? More revenue? It wasn't always like this a couple of decades ago but now it seems to be the norm.

The cafe itself is not opening at all on the outbound trip (9:30 p.m. departure)
Is this happening regularly? Horrible. Every eastbound trip I've taken on the Lake Shore in the 15-plus years since it moved to the late-evening departure time, the cafe was open for a time after leaving Chicago. Of course I haven't ridden it since the pandemic. With the dining service now dead and in any case never operating for dinner since the move to the 9:30 slot, it essentially means no food or drink at all until the next morning. Greyhound-esque is right.

Last edited:
Back