LSL and CZ Monday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tedcat

I've been a regular reader of this board and enjoy it very much. This is my first post. On Monday I'm taking a cross-country trip from Albany, NY to San Francisco taking the LSL and CZ. I have two questions: First, can anyone recommend a nice restaurant near the Chicago Union Station other the the pizza place usually listed? Also, I've been following the delays on the CZ - Has anyone had any experience with it in the past few weeks and, since it's regularly so late, do the carry enough food for dinner the third evening?

Thanks,

Ted

What's your definition of "nice" restaurant? Good food? Good setting?

Boston Blackie's is at Monroe & Canal, a block north of the station. There are plenty of fast food and fast-casual type eateries as well, up and down Canal and Clinton Streets. Al's Italian Beef at Adams & Desplaines (two blocks west), that's more fast-food but good tasting stuff.

Greektown is a half mile to the west of the station, with a few restaurants on Halsted Street.

I had an AMAZING lunch at blackbird on my cross country trip. It is located within walking distance from the train station in Chicago - maybe about three or four blocks - and has been nominated for multiple james beard awards. The lunch is incredibly affordable, I got a three course prix-fixe for $22 and it was delicious. By far the best meal of my trip!

I believe there is also something the French Market that is just a few blocks from the station that has lots of choices.

The Exchequer Pub at 226 S Wabash is excellent. Reminds me of a place from the 1960's dinner club type of place. Also, Cafecito at 24 E. Congress Pkwy. Its a Cuban Sandwich cafe and it's excellent!

Lou Mitchells has excellent breakfasts and lunches! (It's Cash only!!!)Theres also an excellent food court in the basement of the Willis Tower (nee Sears tower) if you take the tour to the top of Chicago! (it's across the river from Union Station!)

If the Train ran late enough to have a third dinner the Sleeping Car pax would get first priority for any "regular" meals still left , everyone else would get the infamous AmBeef Stew on Rice, SnakPaks or maybe even KFC/Sandwiches or Pizza! Ive had all of these on late Trains!

Back