low cost bus line to portland, OR to compete against amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Chicago, Megabus was moved because the block where they were stopping was already horribly congested with traffic, and Megabus just added to the problem and made it unbearable. There simply wasn't enough room for them with everything else that was already there.

They moved one block to the south, where there is plenty of room, and there really haven't been any issues with them being in the way.
The "new" Megabus stop also took away all of the non-metered handicap parking near CUS. Now the city is planning to charge for handicap metered parking.
It's also a pain if you're trying to catch CTA on the southeast corner. I've been harassed by Megabus passengers multiple times. Regardless of what they say, the shelter at the CTA stop is not the place to be selling drugs. Or changing clothes. Regardless of how late your Megabus bus is.

On weekdays, CTA operators frequently can't see the stop because the Megabuses are in the way. And, in my experience, if an operator does see someone in the shelter, they assume it's a Megabus passenger and don't bother stopping.
When I was in CHI last week there were THREE! Mega Busses parked across from Union Station @ the same time! :eek: Traffic was backed up pretty badly and large groups of people were on the sidewalks around the busses including blocking the street by the Busses! This was during the "Heavy Security" blitz for the UN Mess, er , Summit in CHI , as far as I could tell the "Security" did nothing to help with the traffic or the crowds on the Sidewalk and in the street! I know the prices are good, but I dont believe Ill be hoping on any of the "Discount" busses any time soon, even if I am a poor retired government worker! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
The "new" Megabus stop also took away all of the non-metered handicap parking near CUS. Now the city is planning to charge for handicap metered parking.
I thought that Chicago privatized their parking meters. I'm not surprised that a private firm would want to maximize income, even at the expense of the disabled.

I agree with jimhudson. Every time I see the big crowd at the Megabus stop in Chicago, I'm grateful that I'm riding the train. We'll see on Sunday what it's like to ride between Buffalo and Toronto.

That Bolt Bus stop is awful just awful. They should really work on getting some STATIONS before they go too far.
Why should they work on getting stations?
I'll point to the CUS issues as an example on why the bus operators need to be pushed to get stations, or at least be pushed into renting some lot space somewhere/coming to an agreement with a lot owner. For a similar example with Amtrak, it's not like the trains are allowed to park somewhere blocking a major road for an extended period of time (the closest example I can think of would be 3-5 minutes in OSC where the train station is right by a street and there's no room to fit the train onto the platform without blocking it...and even that should get fixed at some point given the money, if just by extending the platform to the east a bit).

That Bolt Bus stop is awful just awful. They should really work on getting some STATIONS before they go too far.
Why should they work on getting stations?
I'll point to the CUS issues as an example on why the bus operators need to be pushed to get stations, or at least be pushed into renting some lot space somewhere/coming to an agreement with a lot owner.
I hate Megabus parking near CUS.

But why is it in Megabus' interest to get stations?

But why is it in Megabus' interest to get stations?
It's not in Megabus' interests to get stations.

But it is in everyone else's best interest to force them to do so. This way Megabus is actually paying for the facilities that their passengers currently freeload off of others.

For a similar example with Amtrak, it's not like the trains are allowed to park somewhere blocking a major road for an extended period of time
Umm, how many years did Amtrak stop in Reno before the city built the trench there?
While the trains did block Virginia Street, it was a fairly brief stop....the trains went another three miles to Sparks for their servicing and crew changes....

Last edited by a moderator:
For a similar example with Amtrak, it's not like the trains are allowed to park somewhere blocking a major road for an extended period of time
Umm, how many years did Amtrak stop in Reno before the city built the trench there?
By my (inexact) calculation, about 160 years! :p
The Central Pacific was built thru there in around 1868. I'm sure there was no Virginia Street until after the railway came.... :)

By my (inexact) calculation, about 160 years! :p
Pretty neat trick for a carrier that's only been around for 40 years! :giggle:

To the previous point, though...while Megabus and the like does seem to block parking spaces, I'm not aware of anywhere that they literally

block traffic while making a station stop. Take up parking spaces, sure. Contribute to congestion in busy areas, yeah. But not actually

blocking the street as a train making a station stop (occasionally) does.

A tad of info .. I am in Iowa City at the the Trailways / hound station and they offer FREE WiFi and Movies .

Movies .. ,, better get cracking Amtrak.. And nashville AP has a Redbox In the secure zone ! .. so as you can see its not crazy to ask for outside station red box units .

Peter..

From Seattle to Portland, BoltBus feels like a beta

Summary: For the most part, the BoltBus is as advertised. It’s a pretty nice upgrade from a standard bus. I did find the seat to be a lot more comfortable when I gave up drawing pictures while the bus was in motion, put down the armrests, and closed my eyes for a little while. The WiFi and power could be useful if you want to surf on your iPad or top off your phone’s battery. But, if you’re hoping to get solid work time in on your laptop, it won’t cut it unless you’re small and working on a netbook or MacBook Air.

Sadly, we're heading to BOS in a couple weeks. We'll be taking the Card to NYP, and I gave in to my husband who wants to take Bolt Bus. Admittedly $25 for two people round trip beats $114 for the NER. And seeing all the delays of the NER right now (on FB), it may be the better deal. Honestly, I'm a total Amtrak adict, but I'll try this and see how it goes. Considering the price of hotels in NY and BOS... :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back