Lounge 28011 damaged at HIA Heavy damage!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Happened last weekend, so missed the action! :(

Lounge car 28011 had just been released from the PM line and was being moved around the yard by the CSX switch crew.

28011 was placed on #4 track by itself, then the crew placed two cars on #5 track. None of the cars were chocked or had the parking brakes set! :unsure:

The switch crew took their lunchbreak and during this time, 28011 started rolling and bumped into the cars on #5. Guess everyone was also eating lunch and incident went unnoticed! :unsure:

The switchcrew returned and may have added more cars to #5 or was just shoving the two cars farther ahead on #5. :rolleyes:

As the crew continued the move, the conductor didn't see that the 3 cars were jammed together on 2 adjoining tracks! :unsure: Since the coupled cars weren't moving, the engineer added more and more throttle! :lol: Next thing ya know, 28011 is laying on it's side! :blink:

Two cranes were called in to put it back on the track and the sheetmetal was ok! :blink: The decals were scratched up and need replacement.

The worst damage was to the trucks and suspension system. :( Word has it that the trucks were "twisted", springs popped out of trucks and undercar damage to components that are mounted from the trucks to the carbody! :huh:

Inital damage estimates were $250,000! :eek:

It's scheduled to DH tomorrow on #92 to Bear for repairs!

MJ B)

Wow! :eek: Sounds like someone wasn't paying attention. Sorta makes me wonder if it might have been noticed, had they been using remote control beltpacks down there.

I doubt csx will pay for it. It seems like there are now more reasons to have amtrak personel switcihing the cars in hialeah.

Hi everybody! :)

CSX personel have been qualified with the remote packs for the last 2-3 yrs. CSX only uses it in the switchyard and I haven't seen it being used lately. Maybe the unions filed a grievance here and the "use of remote control" is temporarly suspended. :huh:

There has been dicussions for an Amtrak switchcrew, since I've been here. 8-12 people would be needed for 3 shifts a day, 7 days a week, with each person getting 2 days off. Including benefits for each person, cost is roughly $50-70,000. Include a switcher and maintenance costs, and you have the reasoning behind Amtrak's contract with CSX.

Don't know who will eat the costs of repairs. CSX did pay for the crane service and will probably use insurance to cover the repairs.

I noticed during the last FEC derail in Hialeah, the cars were pulled to the side of the track, track repairs were made and the cars cut-up for scrap. I can see where it's cheaper to scrap the cars and get the mainline running as quick as possible.

MJ B)

Back