lost luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jheilman43402

Train Attendant
We just came back from San Francisco on the CZ and CL we checked 3 bags at SFC on to TOL and got on the train. Long story short the CZ was 5 hours late and we missed teh CL and were put on the LSL. when we got to TOL our checked luggage never showed up. The lady at the window had us fill out a form and said she would call us when it arrived. Seeing there are only 2 trains from the west that go through TOL what are the chances of getting our luggage back and quickly. Also if all 3 never showed up, what happened did it not get on the train in EMY after the bus or was it the delay. What do you guys think? It was a trip from heck. 5 hours late, 1 emergency panic stop where my wife hit the mirror in the bathroom and has a large bruse on her forehead, They ran out of most food choices, Car attendant was indifferent to us, and kind of ignored us, the bathrooms quit working on our car in the middle of the trip (Tank Full), missed our connection and lost our luggage. Our trip to SFC was wonderful. Great attendant and went smooth except for wyoming detour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are it will be on the next train! I really doubt (like the airlines) that it got put on a train to Tokyo, Rio or Sydney!
laugh.gif
It was probably left at Chicago and not put on the train for some reason!

It was a trip from heck. 5 hours late, 1 emergency panic stop where my wife hit the mirror in the bathroom and has a large bruse on her forehead, They ran out of most food choices, Car attendant was indifferent to us, and kind of ignored us, the bathrooms quit working on our car in the middle of the trip (Tank Full), missed our connection and lost our luggage.
Sorry to read about your problems. Though, I can mention, I have had worse trips.

Your attendant might have been indifferent because he/she really has no control over those particular issues (food choices, emergency stops, delays, etc), and could not do a thing to change any of them.

We just came back from San Francisco on the CZ and CL we checked 3 bags at SFC on to TOL and got on the train. Long story short the CZ was 5 hours late and we missed teh CL and were put on the LSL. when we got to TOL our checked luggage never showed up. The lady at the window had us fill out a form and said she would call us when it arrived. Seeing there are only 2 trains from the west that go through TOL what are the chances of getting our luggage back and quickly. Also if all 3 never showed up, what happened did it not get on the train in EMY after the bus or was it the delay. What do you guys think? It was a trip from heck. 5 hours late, 1 emergency panic stop where my wife hit the mirror in the bathroom and has a large bruse on her forehead, They ran out of most food choices, Car attendant was indifferent to us, and kind of ignored us, the bathrooms quit working on our car in the middle of the trip (Tank Full), missed our connection and lost our luggage. Our trip to SFC was wonderful. Great attendant and went smooth except for wyoming detour.

Checking luggage with a connecting train the same day,is always a crapshoot, from what I have learned on AU. One would think you would be safe with the 3+ hour layover between the CZ & CL.

My understanding is that they will forward on the next train into TOL. Unfortunately, I don't know how quickly that would be. I guess you have to give it a day or two..

As far as the indiferrent, ignorant attendant, malfuctioning lavatory, and poor food choices (undoubledly related to 5-hour delay), please let Amtrak know, via e-mail and phone call. If you are enrolled in AGR, let them know as well. The more they hear from us (both good & bad) the better chance of improving the service.

Hope you a fun in SFC. I'm headed there myself next week via SWC/CS. No checked baggage though :excl:

Luggage will most likely arrive on the next day's train; it most likely didn't get transferred in Chicago. (The Lake Shore Limited's baggage cars might have filled up, for instance; Amtrak is starting to have a shortage of baggage cars and can't just add another one.) Or it might just not have gotten off the train in Toledo, in which case it will probably be sent back with the next day's Lake Shore Limited. If you don't see it the next day, start bugging them because in that case it's probably sitting in Emeryville or Chicago.

Recieved a call last night around midnight and my bags were in TOL. Picked them up this morning and no damage and everything is intact. So this story has a happy ending.

Recieved a call last night around midnight and my bags were in TOL. Picked them up this morning and no damage and everything is intact. So this story has a happy ending.
Whew! Good for you.

Brings up a point. What does Amtrak do if you had rented a car and driven 100 miles away? Do they get it to you?

In the old days, the airlines would put it on a bus or have a cab deliver it but would always get it to your home or where you were located. Now, it is probably "It was accidentally delivered to JFK airport. We know it was supposed to be on the plane with you from Chicago to Anchorage. You have one week to pick it up here in NYC or it will be considered abandoned. Meanwhile, in addition to the original $75 checked bag fee, there is an additional $15/day storage charge which must be paid in cash"

I have had luggage arrive late twice...once in West Palm Beach, and they delivered it about 35 miles via a taxi service....and once at Omaha, and they delivered it about 300 miles via Fedex.....no charge to me either time.....thought that was pretty nice of AMTRAK!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back