Lost luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
My ex worries that my one bag I intend to check on my December round trip ABQ -- SAN could get lost by Amtrak.

What are the odds of that?

The bag meets Amtrak requirements for size and I have a large, bright red ID tag on the bag.

There's about an hour and a half time period both ways in which the bag would be transferred between trains.

I really don't want to lug it around, as I will have a small duffel bag 'carry on'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the odds are rather low. You are thinking of airlines losing bags. Question - how many arrivals a day at ABQ airport, at ABQ train station?? Similarly at SAN.

I think that tells you something.

My ex worries that my one bag I intend to check on my December round trip ABQ -- SAN could get lost by Amtrak.

What are the odds of that?

The bag meets Amtrak requirements for size and I have a large, bright red ID tag on the bag.

There's about an hour and a half time period both ways in which the bag would be transferred between trains.

I really don't want to lug it around, as I will have a small duffel bag 'carry on'.
I have never lost a bag at any station.

Amtrak checked baggage handling seems pretty good, although they do not publish luggage handling stats so it is hard to say how it compares to airline handling.

One thing you should note is that the trains from LAX to SAN - the Pacific Surfliners - do not all have checked baggage service. Depending on when you arrive in LAX and the train you end up taking to SAN, your checked bags might have to wait for a later train. In that case, you will either have to wait at the SAN station for your bags to arrive, or you will have to stop back at the station to pick-up your bags.

Similarly, you should check to see if your return trip segment from SAN to LAX carries checked baggage. If it does not, you will either have to get the bags to the station early enough to make a train that does handle checked baggage or you will have to carry on your bags and check them at LAX.

One thing you should note is that the trains from LAX to SAN - the Pacific Surfliners - do not all have checked baggage service.
The Amtrak site does show the checked luggage icon <?> to and from LA -- San Diego for the trains on my trip.

Where would I see which trains do not have checked luggage.

One thing you should note is that the trains from LAX to SAN - the Pacific Surfliners - do not all have checked baggage service.
The Amtrak site does show the checked luggage icon <?> to and from LA -- San Diego for the trains on my trip.

It appears that all Pacific Surfliners handle checked baggage between LAX and SAN. Some also handle checked baggage at certain intermediate stops, but all handle it to and from SAN. So, you will be OK with your bags regardless of the train you take. Sorry for the false alarm.

Dig through the "Routes" tab at Amtrak.com to find the PSL schedule. The absence of a suitcase symbol on the "On Board Service" row indicates no checked baggage.

As said, the chance of lost luggage on Amtrak is low!

How many Amtrak trains leave SAN to LAX at one time?
huh.gif
And how many Amtrak trains leave LAX headed to ABQ at one time?
huh.gif
In both cases, I'd guess just one!
rolleyes.gif
And I very much doubt that they will "accidently" put your bags on the next train to London or Moscow or Sydney!
laugh.gif

As said, the chance of lost luggage on Amtrak is low!

How many Amtrak trains leave SAN to LAX at one time?
huh.gif
Aloha

I know you have been in the San Diego station.
401201848_mkFiC-Ti.jpg
Can you imagine 2 trains to anywhere? :help: :giggle: :lol: Leaving at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dig through the "Routes" tab at Amtrak.com to find the PSL schedule. The absence of a suitcase symbol on the "On Board Service" row indicates no checked baggage.
Thanks. Checked the PSL schedule and all of their trains leaving LAX to SAN and back have the checked luggage icon.

I did read earlier (on the Amtrak station info site) that SAN has no baggage help, so I'm guessing that means no Red Caps.

However the SAN station is small and I'm being met by friends.

I have never lost a bag at any station.
I had some bags "lost" at NYP.
I checked them early for one of the long-distance trains from WAS, but traveled on an Acela. Apparently, the baggage guys in Washington failed to put them on either for the two trains that came through that morning.

The New York baggage folks contacted Washington to have the bags put on a train that afternoon. They were delivered to my hotel before I got back from dinner.

I had an issue recently. I was travelling with 3 companions from West Palm Beach, FL to Newark, NJ. When we got off in Newark, 2 of us had our bags, 2 of us did not. Apparently, they forgot to offload them at Newark, so they ended up in New York. I had to fill out a claim form and they called me the next morning to inform me that my bags had arrived (they sent them by the nighttime regional from New York back to Newark).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back