Looking to Buy or Lease an F40PH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun7

Service Attendant
A few weeks ago I started volunteering at a museum down in Miami, which offers train rides on various equipment from cabooses, to refurbed Budd Heritage cars, to flat steel Metra commuter cars. The last engine they purchased to provide a decent amount of operational locomotives was a terribly old F7 from Maine that's in despicable condition and in no way will run anytime soon. There's a possibility that we may go searching for another locomotive soon (that was, or had similar units that served on Florida railroads).

I'd really like to be able to put a retired Amtrak F40PH into the collection and was wandering if anybody here has any advice on where I could find one. We don't need it to be in great shape, we just need the wheels to spin and the engine to run. One of the engines we operate is an 80 year old NASA Alco S2, so that should give everybody an idea of how little the condition of the locomotive matters.

To Alan: I know, thread is probably in the way wrong category, but it does sort of have to do with Amtrak, and I really want a decent amount of people to be able to see it just incase somebody has an idea :D

Thanks alot,

Paul

To Alan: I know, thread is probably in the way wrong category, but it does sort of have to do with Amtrak, and I really want a decent amount of people to be able to see it just incase somebody has an idea :D
Thanks alot,

Paul
Paul,

No worries, it has enough of an Amtrak angle that I'm sure we can leave it here in this forum.

In addition to the link provided by Dutchrailnut, according to OTOL Amtrak still has at least a dozen F40's available for lease. Not sure if you want to lease one and I'm not sure that Amtrak wants to sell one of their F40's either, but you may want to try to contact Amtrak to see what's up. Wish I could tell you who to contact, but I've got no clue. Sorry! :(

Someone I would say you should contact is Chris Fussell with the Friends of 4449 group. Chris purchased his (beloved) 231 a few years ago before it got the scrapping iron. He would be very well versed in the logistics, who to contact, etc. Another thought (since I'm guessing this is the Gold Coast Museum you're talking about) you may consider is contacting Tri-Rail about the 801, 802, or 804. Since they received their GP-49's the original fleet (801-805) has seen a reduced role in daily operations since they aren't as fuel efficient and reliable. If you pitch it right (they don't lose money in the deal) they may be open to donating it to a museum where its "legacy" will be preserved.

Someone I would say you should contact is Chris Fussell with the Friends of 4449 group. Chris purchased his (beloved) 231 a few years ago before it got the scrapping iron. He would be very well versed in the logistics, who to contact, etc. Another thought (since I'm guessing this is the Gold Coast Museum you're talking about) you may consider is contacting Tri-Rail about the 801, 802, or 804. Since they received their GP-49's the original fleet (801-805) has seen a reduced role in daily operations since they aren't as fuel efficient and reliable. If you pitch it right (they don't lose money in the deal) they may be open to donating it to a museum where its "legacy" will be preserved.

Just remember to a state or federal agency donating a engine is not a tax deduction, its a loss of income.

A locomotive at about 120 tons is $60 000 in scrap steel and around 200 000 if parted out.

Thanks everybody for your replies. As usual, you've been a big help. That Tri-Rail idea is an especially good and creative idea and one that I'm gonna try to get the museum to look into when I head back on Saturday. And yes, it is the Gold Coast RR Museum. The lowest price I've gotten so far is $250K from D.F Barnhardt and Associates. I'm trying to get in contact with Larry's Truck and Electric, but I'm pretty sure all they're unit(s) are gutted.

I'm also thinking, if the F40 doesn't work out, of getting an F40PHL-2 from Tri-Rail or maybe even an F45 painted in Tri-Rail colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back