Looking for help in using rewards points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkyo

Service Attendant
We have a trip planned to the 4 corners area in September. Rochester to Chicago, Chicago to Grand Junction, then reverse it home.

We will pay the overnight to Chicago both ways.

How do we use points for the rest of the trip?

It is 2 zones from Chi to GJ.

Can we use points for Chicago to Denver and pay cash for Den to GJ? And do the same in reverse?

Our last count on points was 22,679.

If we go coach that would pay for both of us out (=11,000 ) and back (= 11,000.) So are cost for the train woul d be minimal.

Question 1. Do we have to get off the train in Den and then get back on? We could NOT have our bags go straight to GJ?

Question 2. Why, on the redeem points page does it list two diffferent amounts for the same seat?????

Coach Class - One Zone Show More Item#: 1052 5,500 pts

Coach Class - One Zone Show More Item#: 1062 9,500 pts

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we use points for Chicago to Denver and pay cash for Den to GJ? And do the same in reverse?
Yes.

Question 1. Do we have to get off the train in Den and then get back on?
You can if you want to, but there is no need to. I believe they can ticket your checked luggage the whole way, although I have not specifically tried to do what you're describing with checked luggage.

Question 2. Why, on the redeem points page does it list two diffferent amounts for the same seat?????
If you're Select Plus you can use more points to travel on blackout days.

Unless you really wat to stay in Chicago, you do not have to! This is a\ guaranteed connection between the 2 trains! And if for some reason, the connection is missed, it is Amtrak's responsibility - meaning (among other things) THEY will pay for the hotel and send you out on the next day! Because you are going coach, you do not have to worry about a sleeper not being available the next day!

Also, your math is wrong. It is 2 zones for each person from ROC to CHI, and then 1 zone from CHI to DEN. Stopovers (such as in CHI) are not allowed. On an AGR award, you MUST take the next train out that same day - which there is one! Thus, you must redeem 2 awards, and remember that coach awards are per person each way! So for what you stated, you would need a 2 zone award and a 1 zone award each for each way. I personally (given that choice) would use a 3 zone award right from ROC to GJT!

You might even consider buying some points and getting an award for a roomette. It includes the rail fare for both of you, the room (of course) and up to 3 meals a day (in the Dining Car) for both of you! And you can also use the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI between trains!

As for why you see 2 rates for redeeming - the rates recently rose (on April1) and maybe they did not remove the old (lower) rates! :eek:

Unless you really wat to stay in Chicago, you do not have to! This is a\ guaranteed connection between the 2 trains! And if for some reason, the connection is missed, it is Amtrak's responsibility - meaning (among other things) THEY will pay for the hotel and send you out on the next day! Because you are going coach, you do not have to worry about a sleeper not being available the next day!
The OP has already explained that they will be paying separately between Rochester and Chicago, using points between Chicago and Denver, and then paying again between Denver and Grand Junction.. If they loop three tickets together like this can they still count on Amtrak to cover any misconnects?

Also, your math is wrong. It is 2 zones for each person from ROC to CHI, and then 1 zone from CHI to DEN. Stopovers (such as in CHI) are not allowed. On an AGR award, you MUST take the next train out that same day - which there is one! Thus, you must redeem 2 awards, and remember that coach awards are per person each way! So for what you stated, you would need a 2 zone award and a 1 zone award each for each way. I personally (given that choice) would use a 3 zone award right from ROC to GJT!
If the OP is going to pay for travel between Rochester and Chicago, use points beteen Chicago and Denver, and then pay for travel between Denver and Grand Junction as they've already explained, then how exactly is their math wrong?

As for why you see 2 rates for redeeming - the rates recently rose (on April1) and maybe they did not remove the old (lower) rates!
All I saw was the regular award and the Rule Buster award.

I mis-read the OP! :eek: I thought they were staying overnight in CHI. In that case, the math is correct!

However, I still would consider buying points and consider getting an award for a roomette! 2 coach awards are/were 11,000 points, and the roomette for 2 is 15,000 and includes 3 meals each and access to the Metropolitan Lounge. That, plus the roomette, is worth the few extra points to me! :D

Totally concur with Traveler. 4000 extra points for the roomette is completely worth it. Also, if you're willing to skip the overnight in CHI in either direction, then you can book Toledo - Denver as a one-zone award. You'd only need to buy Rochester - Toledo.

Have you considered redeeming ROC-DEN or TOL/CHI-GJT as a two-zone award, one way? Especially if traveling by sleeper, buying points may actually be competitive with buying tickets.

Just to add, many time buying points is actually CHEAPER than paying with cash!
excl.gif
Especially if you are only a few thousand points away!

You could actually buy 8,000 points, and )including what you have now), get a roomette each way from TOL-CHI-DEN. That way, you would get 2-4 meals, a good nights sleep midway thru the trip, and access to the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI both ways!
smile.gif
I would still go coach from DEN-GJT - you'll probably be in the Sightseer Lounge Car anyway for that portion!
excl.gif
And 1 night in coach is doable.

Thanks for all the suggestions, LOL . We are NOT staying over in Chi! LOL. We get to Chi about 10am and the train west leave at 2 or 3pm.

The train from Roc to Chi leaves at 11pm and we go to sleep right away, so the Tol switch is not desirable for us and I do not think there are sleepers on that train. But it would be a waste of points I think. But thank you for the idea. The fare for that leg of the trip is about $130 for both of us one way. So I am not sure it would be cheaper to buy points? Buying points in very confusing to me and I will have to go check on that.

Buying points to get a sleeper is a good idea. but I am confused on how that works.

If the roomette is 15,000 points, is that for the 2 of us? or would it be 30,000 points?

So if I am reading it right, and it includes BOTH OF US, it would cost 30,000 points altogether for the Chi to GJ AND Gallup to Chi? I think I need to study this a bit more.

To book a roomette for Chi to Den one way for the two of us is about $400.To use points is 15,000

To book both ways is @ $1000. The points needed would be 30,000.If It includes both of us.

(The rewards Card is in My husbands name. Does that make a dif? He can use them for my tickets, right?

We have 22,679 points. We need 7321 points. 7500 points .- that would cost @$206? So we could pay @$200 instead of @$1000????

Roc to Chi leaves at 11pm and we go to sleep right away, so the Tol switch is not desirable for us and I do not think there are sleepers on that train.
There are sleepers on that train, and it's worth waking up at 6:15 a.m., moving to your sleeper, and getting free breakfast in the diner. Heck, if I'm in coach, I'm usually awake by 6 a.m., frouzy, wanting coffee, and wishing I had breakfast. And breakfast always tastes better when it's free. Heck, the sleepers usually have the coffee going at 6 a.m.

We have 22,679 points. We need 7321 points. 7500 points .- that would cost @$206? So we could pay @$200 instead of @$1000????
You have it exactly right. AGR is great for long-distance sleeper travel by couples, and a roomette for 15,000 AGR points is a much better deal than two coach seats for 11k.

If the roomette is 15,000 points, is that for the 2 of us? or would it be 30,000 points?
It would be 15,000 points for the two of you for one zone. It's 11,000 for two coach seats, so for 4,000 more points, you get beds, shower, private compartment, and meals.

So if I am reading it right, and it includes BOTH OF US, it would cost 30,000 points altogether for the Chi to GJ AND Gallup to Chi? I think I need to study this a bit more.
Correct! And again, you can actually extend that to Toledo for no extra points. To get to ROC, that would add an extra 5,000 each way.

(The rewards Card is in My husbands name. Does that make a dif? He can use them for my tickets, right?
Makes no difference. He has to call to make the reservation, but otherwise he can book things for anyone. Not saying that he would want to, but if he was feeling generous, he could book a trip for me if he wanted and he doesn't even have to be on the trip.

Correct!

Makes no difference. He has to call to make the reservation, but otherwise he can book things for anyone. Not saying that he would want to, but if he was feeling generous, he could book a trip for me if he wanted and he doesn't even have to be on the trip.

How'd you beat the_traveler to that suggestion? :giggle:

How'd you beat the_traveler to that suggestion? :giggle:
Alan was faster on the draw - this time!
mad.gif
If it happens again, no more free trips to FL for him!
laugh.gif

I wanted to thank you all for your help. We will be booking soon with a roomette all the way!!!

Back