Looking for a scenic route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I had continued this in my intro thread, but it was suggested I move it to the main boards. I am wanting to take a scenic tour, purely for enjoyment(i.e. no timetable, etc). I will be starting from the DFW area, and had been thinking of either taking the Texas Eagle to LA, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle, or maybe in the fall, catching the downeaster, to see the fall folliage. Does anyone have any suggestions, or past trip experiences?

I had continued this in my intro thread, but it was suggested I move it to the main boards. I am wanting to take a scenic tour, purely for enjoyment(i.e. no timetable, etc). I will be starting from the DFW area, and had been thinking of either taking the Texas Eagle to LA, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle, or maybe in the fall, catching the downeaster, to see the fall folliage. Does anyone have any suggestions, or past trip experiences?
Or ... what about taking the Eagle the other way, to Chicago, then catching the California Zephyr west, then home either the shorter way (south to L.A. on the Coast Starlight and east on the Eagle) or the longer, REALLY scenic way (north on the Coast Starlight, east on the Empire Builder, back from Chicago to Dallas on the Eagle)?

Sue, thinking expansively when other people's money is being spent :rolleyes:

I enthusiastically suggest the Vermonter and the Adirondack. The former follows the Connecticut River valley for miles, with picturesque New England towns and even a covered bridge along the way. The Adirondack hugs Lake Champlain's shore in its northern portion and follows the Hudson River further south.

My trip was in the fall, but I've a feeling these routes are beautiful any time of the year.

In summer and fall, it's possible to make a connection between these two routes via the Lake Champlain ferry at Burlington, VT, so you get a cruise also.

I think the prettiest scenery in the country is the California Zephyr westbound. (if it is late coming east, it could be too dark to see the Colorado Rockies views.)

The California Zephyr has some beautiful views. I suggest westbound. You will see the Rockies, the Colorado River, the Great Salt Lake, Donner Pass & Donner Lake.

The Coast Starlight Northbound will give you views (if you are up early enough), Castle Crags, beautiful Mount Shasta, several lakes, lots of mountains, trees, and streams. If you go all the way to Seattle, you will see the Puget Sound!

The California Zephyr has some beautiful views. I suggest westbound. You will see the Rockies, the Colorado River, the Great Salt Lake, Donner Pass & Donner Lake.The Coast Starlight Northbound will give you views (if you are up early enough), Castle Crags, beautiful Mount Shasta, several lakes, lots of mountains, trees, and streams. If you go all the way to Seattle, you will see the Puget Sound!

Hypothetically speaking, if there wasnt a time limit, would it be possible to go from Fort Worth, up the east coast, into new england, during the fall, then travel over thru Montana, and backtrack down through the rockies, on the way home? Could this route include the zephyr?

Since no timetable is involved I'd say purchase a rail pass and do the California Zephyr,the Coast Starlight, the Empire Builder (if you get to Seattle it's worth it to ride to Vancouver,BC for sure! Then catch one of the Eastern trains (the Cardinal has the best scenery)to NYP, ride the Adirondack as the other poster said, the fall scenery is better than on the Downeaster plus you get the Hudson River North of NY and the Lake on the way to Montreal!(They run a dome car during leaf peeper season on this route from Albany-Montreal on certain days, the only one that Amtrak has left, it's Whoozis personal railcar but he lets peons ride it once in awhile! :lol: You can return on the Lake Shore Limited to CHI or take the Crescent down to New orleans, stay awhile, then hop the Sunsetto San Antonio, Eagle to DFW or take the City of New Orleans to CHI, then the Eagle to Texas! Sounds like alot, Id do it tomorrow and so would most of our members! CHI has a really good hostel to stay in, there are good deals on hotels when you check, the summer can be pricey so fall is a good time to go! ;)

I think the prettiest scenery in the country is the California Zephyr westbound. (if it is late coming east, it could be too dark to see the Colorado Rockies views.)

I agree. I wanted to take this train as a kid so badly.

When I did it was amazing and did not disappoint me.

BTW I was the 33rd generation to ride the CZ and it was the stories from my mom and grandmother which made me long for this journey

Since no timetable is involved I'd say purchase a rail pass and do the California Zephyr,the Coast Starlight, the Empire Builder (if you get to Seattle it's worth it to ride to Vancouver,BC for sure! Then catch one of the Eastern trains (the Cardinal has the best scenery)to NYP, ride the Adirondack as the other poster said, the fall scenery is better than on the Downeaster plus you get the Hudson River North of NY and the Lake on the way to Montreal!(They run a dome car during leaf peeper season on this route from Albany-Montreal on certain days, the only one that Amtrak has left, it's Whoozis personal railcar but he lets peons ride it once in awhile! :lol: You can return on the Lake Shore Limited to CHI or take the Crescent down to New orleans, stay awhile, then hop the Sunsetto San Antonio, Eagle to DFW or take the City of New Orleans to CHI, then the Eagle to Texas! Sounds like alot, Id do it tomorrow and so would most of our members! CHI has a really good hostel to stay in, there are good deals on hotels when you check, the summer can be pricey so fall is a good time to go! ;)

I'm just guessing here but, they dont have any kind of dome cars on the viewliner trains, do they? I'd love to view the new england foliage from a sightseer lounge. And would said itinerary include the California Zephyr? And if so, for how long?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just guessing here but, they dont have any kind of dome cars on the viewliner trains, do they? I'd love to view the new england foliage from a sightseer lounge. And would said itinerary include the California Zephyr? And if so, for how long?
Not normally; but the Adirondack gains a dome car in fall.

Not normally; but the Adirondack gains a dome car in fall.

Great!! Then if possible, I'd like to be able to take the CZ, then catch the CS, to seattle, and follow back around to the northeast. Has anyone on here ever done this before? If so, I'll probably need some help.

All eastern trains (except the CL and AT) are single level trains - since double Superliners will not fit in the tunnels on NYP or BAL. Thus a Sightseer can not be used on any of these trains. The only reason the Dome Car can be used on the Adirondack is that it is put on and taken off at ALB, and only operates ALB-MTR!

I would choose the Cardinal eastbound (for the most scenic daylight viewing). You could connect in WAS with the overnight train (Coach and BC seating only :( ) to BOS to connect to the Downeaster to Maine. Be aware that the Cardinal only operates 3 days a week!

Great!! Then if possible, I'd like to be able to take the CZ, then catch the CS, to seattle, and follow back around to the northeast. Has anyone on here ever done this before? If so, I'll probably need some help.
You can take the the California Zephyr (CZ) from CHIcago, Il to SACramento, Ca. You would have approx an 8 hour layover for the Coast Starlight (CS). It will take you all the way to SEAttle, Wa where you would spend the night to take the Empire Builder (EB) back to CHIcago, Il.

You can also take the CS to Portland, Or (PDX), then board the EB there, but you would not go to SEAttle, Wa. The two parts of the EB join back up in Spokane, Wa (SPK) then continue on to CHIcago, Il.

We have taken the CZ from Salt Lake City, (SLC) Ut to SACramento, Ca then the CS to OLYmpia, Wa, about an hour from SEAttle , then reversed it. Someday we would like to make a loop including the EB in this route, much like what you are considering.

You can take the the California Zephyr (CZ) from CHIcago, Il to SACramento, Ca. You would have approx an 8 hour layover for the Coast Starlight (CS). It will take you all the way to SEAttle, Wa where you would spend the night to take the Empire Builder (EB) back to CHIcago, Il.

You can also take the CS to Portland, Or (PDX), then board the EB there, but you would not go to SEAttle, Wa. The two parts of the EB join back up in Spokane, Wa (SPK) then continue on to CHIcago, Il.

We have taken the CZ from Salt Lake City, (SLC) Ut to SACramento, Ca then the CS to OLYmpia, Wa, about an hour from SEAttle , then reversed it. Someday we would like to make a loop including the EB in this route, much like what you are considering.
Ok, if I wanted to include the northeast foliage in this trip, what would be the best train to catch from chicago?

As the _traveler said:Take the Cardinal, which only runs three times a week but has the best scenery, to WAS or NYP, then ride #66 to BOS (it's overnight and only has coach and business class but does have checked baggage). This will allow you to ride the Downeaster in the daytime to Portland! You can also catch the Adirondack in NYP in the morning from NYP-MTR which will involve spending the night in NYC! You could also ride the Lake Shore Limited to Boston or New York but this gets you into BOS late and Boston is very pricey for hotels!(There is a late train to Portland but if the LSL is late youre stuck till morning in BOS!) The last alternative is the Capitol Ltd. to Washington which has much cheaper sleepers than the Card but the scenery is not as good as the Cardinal! Finally, you can ride the City of New Orleans from CHI-NOL,

spend some time in the Big-Easy, then take the Crescent overnite to WAS-NYC. Lots of options, I still think the Cardinal is the best bet overall, especially if you can ride coach or afford a sleeper! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As the _traveler said:Take the Cardinal, which only runs three times a week but has the best scenery, to WAS or NYP, then ride #66 to BOS (it's overnight and only has coach and business class but does have checked baggage). This will allow you to ride the Downeaster in the daytime to Portland!
One small bone to pick with Jim's advice. :p If you do take the Cardinal and connect to #66 to BOS, I would connect in WAS! Departure from WAS is at 9:45 PM while the departure from NYP is at 3 AM! :eek: I would much rather be asleep at 3 AM! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back