Lookie Loo?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shytown

Train Attendant
Is there a possibility that I can take a look on one of these trains? Specifically the CONO in Chicago's Union Station.

My son is departing out of Chicago tomorrow night for his return trip to NOLA. I've never been on Amtrak (only the local Metra trains). I'd love to be able to take a quick look around, see what his sleeper looks like, etc. I'm seriously considering a trip in the near future.

Now if this is an odd request, I'll definitely skip it. I wouldn't ask when they are busily loading passengers but maybe a little bit before?

Also, I seem to remember reading that there is some sort of a restaurant in Union Station where sleeper passengers can dine before boarding. Since his train leaves at 8pm, dinner most likely will not be served on board, correct?

Thanks ~

I would say your request would probably accommodated, and you could go down to the train take a quick look around and then head back into the station. I have read reports on this board of attendants let families get on the train for a moment at longer stops.

There is no place in Union Station that is exclusively for sleeping car passengers to dine. You can eat in or around the station. You and your son can enter the metropolitan lounge in Union Station since your son is traveling in a sleeper. There are soft drinks and light snacks, but not really enough to have dinner.

If you wanted to check out the train I would suggest asking the attendants in the lounge when you check in. It might help to say something along the lines of "to assist my son in boarding". You and your son can both get into the lounge on his sleeper ticket. If you can't go to the train with him he should board from the lounge since you get priority boarding and the metro lounge is a wonderful place to experience.

I hope I made some sense I am sure others will chime in as well.

I think that the "to assist in boarding" advice really depends on the age of your son.

I'd go a bit early, and ask as soon as you get there. Seeing the CONO equipment isn't all that important, as all the LD trains leaving there (except the Cardinal) have the same equipment. I'd stick with seeing whatever is easiest for them, it'll make your chances of success a bit higher.

I'm not sure of the CONO specifically, but many times, at the origination point where they may board earlier than departure time, you may be able to board with the passenger "to help them get settled". I have heard them announce for "people who are not going on the ___ to leave since it is about to depart".

As I said, this certainly would not be possible at a stop along the way that only has a stop time under a minute. But it may be possible at Union Station. Ask the gate agent. (Or if he is in a sleeper, ask in the Metropolitan Lounge.)

What you may have heard is about the Lake Shore Limited (LSL). The departure time for the LSL was 10 PM (but is now 9 PM) and they do not serve dinner upon departure, so they offer sleeper passengers a wine and cheese get together instead prior to departure. However, I believe they serve dinner on the CONO.

Shytown,

Your son will most definitely get dinner out of Chicago on the City of New Orleans. When he checks in at the Metropolitan lounge they will most likely have him make a reservation for dinner, unless the passenger load is very light. But his dinner is most certainly included. And it is important to note that he must go to the lounge, as the normal procedure for this train is to board sleeping car passengers around 7:00 to 7:15PM so that they can start dinner before the train ever leaves the station. So he should arrive no later than 6:30 PM and head straight for the Metropolitan Lounge.

As for your request to see things, I highly suspect that it will be denied. At many other stations you might have had a real chance, but unless your son requires some assistance to board, it's very unlikely that they will let you go out to the train to see things. I think it also unlikely that they will let you into the lounge with him also. Perhaps if the crowd is light, maybe they'll let you into the Metropolitan Lounge, but the general rule is only ticketed passengers or those who are Select Plus. Again, perhaps if you meet the right person and ask nicely enough you may gain access to the lounge and to the train, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

I'm pretty sure you have to be a ticketed passenger in order to get onto the platforms in Chicago. For those passengers needing assistance, Red Caps are available and I believe friends or family wouldn't be permitted to assist boarding in Chicago.

I'm pretty sure you have to be a ticketed passenger in order to get onto the platforms in Chicago. For those passengers needing assistance, Red Caps are available and I believe friends or family wouldn't be permitted to assist boarding in Chicago.
You are correct. In Chicago's Union Station, one must have a ticket to be allowed onto the platforms and the trains. Also, the trains are not usually in the station ahead of time. They usually are kept in the yard until they are ready for boarding.

Wow, who knew that he should arrive 1 - 1.5 hours ahead of boarding time? I'll check his ticket again but I didn't read that anywhere.

Thanks for all of your replies. I'll wing it tonight and see how it goes. Besides, I'm pretty positive that he wouldn't want me going on with him anyway - ha! But then again, you never know. He might actually want to show me around.

Wow, who knew that he should arrive 1 - 1.5 hours ahead of boarding time? I'll check his ticket again but I didn't read that anywhere.
You won't find it printed anywhere on the ticket; the ticket will only show the actual departure time.

And if he had arrived later, it still wouldn't be a problem, he'd still get to board the train. He'd just have to stand in the long line with all the coach passengers and have a much later dinner. By getting there early, he'll have some time to enjoy the nice lounge, get an early boarding, avoid the long coach line, and if he wants an earlier dinner.

Is there a possibility that I can take a look on one of these trains? Specifically the CONO in Chicago's Union Station.
My son is departing out of Chicago tomorrow night for his return trip to NOLA. I've never been on Amtrak (only the local Metra trains). I'd love to be able to take a quick look around, see what his sleeper looks like, etc. I'm seriously considering a trip in the near future.

Now if this is an odd request, I'll definitely skip it. I wouldn't ask when they are busily loading passengers but maybe a little bit before?

Also, I seem to remember reading that there is some sort of a restaurant in Union Station where sleeper passengers can dine before boarding. Since his train leaves at 8pm, dinner most likely will not be served on board, correct?

Thanks ~
When I took SS Ltd 1 from NOL-LAX we had an extended stop in Houston, my home town. I had a friend of mine meet me at the station so we could catch up. Our SCA (Sleeping Car Attendant) allowed me to quickly run him up to my roomette and back out so he could see a sleeper.

Thanks ~
When I took SS Ltd 1 from NOL-LAX we had an extended stop in Houston, my home town. I had a friend of mine meet me at the station so we could catch up. Our SCA (Sleeping Car Attendant) allowed me to quickly run him up to my roomette and back out so he could see a sleeper.
Very cool, Scott. But it didn't happen in Chicago. It was a no go right from the start. The agents all around were not friendly nor helpful. As a matter of fact, not one even looked up from their magazine or paperbacks - ha! I imagine the sub zero temps for the past weeks didn't help.

There will be other times, I'll try again. My son promised he'd take a few pics for me. :wub:

Thanks ~
Yup, Houston would be one such place where you could get away with that. It's largely because the train stops there for a while and the fact that it's the only train that stops there, so they don't see the crowds that Chicago does.

Back