Longterm Indoor Parking for Amtrak Travels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksr

Need information on safe place to park car on trips on Amtrak in any of following locations in CA.

Martinez, Emeryville, Oakland, Davis, Sacramento.

Thanks.

Need information on safe place to park car on trips on Amtrak in any of following locations in CA.Martinez, Emeryville, Oakland, Davis, Sacramento.

Thanks.
We stayed a few days in Davis CA lasts fall not much for parking around the station.

I usually park in Martinez: free; some spots right in front of the depot and others very close; small town with pedestrians walking their dogs and kids all times of day and night. Sacramento is safe but no longer free. Oakland was working on their lot last time I was there, don't know what it is like now. When I'm leaving from there, I park in a friend's backyard and take transit. Emeryville has a paid lot, looks safe, I've only stopped there to watch trains and then I park on the street.

None of these are indoor. If indoor is important, you might investigate hotels that allow parking for SFO airport travelers (I've heard of these, never tried one, and you'd still have to get back to Amtrak). SFO has some covered parking. Some SAC parking is under the freeway near the rail museum, but I'd consider it less safe than the parking right by the depot. Downtown Oakland has some parking structures with monthly rates. Perhaps run an ad in craigslist looking to rent a private garage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Davis has a parking lot at the depot that has free parking (for ticketed passengers with a dashboard permit issued by the ticket clerk). However, it isn't a covered lot, but it's in a fairly well-trafficked and well-lit area in a small town.

If you want covered parking, Davis has a long-term garage with overnight parking for about $3/day. It is located at 4th and G streets (about three blocks away). Here's some more information from Amtrak California:

The Fourth and G Street garage has a limited amount of all-day spaces available for a daily charge of $3. Contact Allright Central Parking at (916) 441-1074 for more information.

Emeryville has its own parking lot adjacent to the station. It is open air, but behind a fence (although the gate is always open). It is well lighted and is FREE to Amtrak passengers. You must get a parking pass for the dashboard at the Amtrak ticket counter; you need to show your ticket. I have used this lot twice, both for 5-day absences, and have had no problem.

Good to hear Davis has more parking than I thought. All I really saw was a fairly full lot next to the station. We stayed at the Hallmark Inn next to the station so parking was not a issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back