Long Train Trip Suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunchaser

Conductor
It looks like we wil be taking a very long train trip next summer-

We are going to fly (ugh) to a family event in ATL, then take the train from there to WAS, then to CHI then home to SLC. We plan on using points, bedrooms all the way. I have a couple of questions so far. Does anyone have a preference on Viewliner Bedrooms? I realize there is only two per Sleeper Car, but does it matter? What about carry on baggage storage at WAS & CHI? Any suggestions of things to do/see/eat? We do want to see the monuments in WAS, for sure. Opinions about the Crescent and Capitol Limited? Any input of course will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I can tell you about the carry-on storage at WAS since I was just there. It is a large closet just behind the check-in counter in the Club Acela. The attendant will invite you to put your own bags in there, and they say it will be just fine. In my (limited) experience, there were absolutely no problems with this, and of course, there is no bag-room attendant to tip either. As a side-note: to get into the Club Acela, you need to push a button just to the right of the door, and the attendant will "buzz you in."

In CHI, there is a bag-room in the Metropolitan Lounge (right across from the check-in counter) with an attendant who will check your bags for you. While there is no "fee" for the service, we always give a few dollars as a tip.

Washington Union Station itself is an amazing Food Court and Shopping area. I love Pizza, can't get enough of it and was most pleased with the couple slices I got at Vittorio's. Chicago Union Station also has an excellent Food Court upstairs from the Track Level.

If you can get a Bedroom B it's preferential because it's closer to the center of the car and facing forward for the trip 99.9% off the time. Since you're going First Class all the way you've got access to ClubAcela in DC and Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. You're definitely welcome to store your carry ons in there while you explore the area. If you know what date you'll be there, I'd highly encourage you to reach out to your Congressman's office and arrange for a tour of Congress and/or The White House. It requires a bit of lead time, so you're better to do it sooner rather than later.

The Mall in WAS (where many of the museums and monuments are) is practically right out the front door of Union Station! And even though the baggage room in the Club Acela is not staffed, I personally have no problem keeping bags there.

I also prefer Bedroom B on the Viewliners. I cannot remember a time when Bedroom B was not facing forward - but I guess, it could go the other way.

The Mall in WAS (where many of the museums and monuments are) is practically right out the front door of Union Station! And even though the baggage room in the Club Acela is not staffed, I personally have no problem keeping bags there.
Union Station in DC is a short walk to the Capitol, and a somewhat longer walk to Smithsonian, Washington Monument, etc.

I like to visit the Smithsonian myself, when I'm in DC between trains. Since the sightseeing itself involves a lot of walking, you might want to print out and take along with you a map of the DC Metro subway system: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm?

It's cheap and safe, easy to transfer from one line to another, and might be just what you want for returning to Union Station (on the red line) at the end of your sightseeing!

The Chicago Amtrak station is only a couple of blocks from the Chicago Art Institute -- a must see for art lovers. Also, a good place to eat.

The Chicago Amtrak station is only a couple of blocks from the Chicago Art Institute -- a must see for art lovers. Also, a good place to eat.
Hmm, I wouldn't describe it as "only a couple of blocks" -- it's on the other side of the Loop. Yahoo Maps calculates it as 0.82 miles, which would be about 6 and a half "standard Chicago blocks," although with the streets being closer together downtown, it's 9 or 10 actual blocks.

That said, it is a fairly easy walk for someone who's decently mobile (especially if the weather's nice), and can also be a quick bus or taxi ride. The biggest issue is not having time to see everything in the few hours between trains!

The Sears/Willis Tower is right across the street from Chicago Union Station, so you could go up to the Skydeck if you have time. They'll let you know how long the wait is at the door. If the line is out the doors, plan on 2-3 hours.

You can also catch the #151 bus on Canal, in front of the Great Hall (or just go up the escalators near the Amtrak ticket counter), and that will take you to Michigan Ave. You can shop, check out some restaurants, or just enjoy the walk. You'll get to see the river and some of the best architecture in the world.

Hmm, I wouldn't describe it as "only a couple of blocks" -- it's on the other side of the Loop. Yahoo Maps calculates it as 0.82 miles, which would be about 6 and a half "standard Chicago blocks," although with the streets being closer together downtown, it's 9 or 10 actual blocks.

That said, it is a fairly easy walk for someone who's decently mobile (especially if the weather's nice), and can also be a quick bus or taxi ride. The biggest issue is not having time to see everything in the few hours between trains!
Thanks for the correction. It's been some time since I was last in Chicago and I was writing from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back