Long term parking at New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

I posted a similar question several weeks ago. I stirred up some discussion, with some hard feelings. I reviewed the comments, and appreciate all the input. However, I've decided to park my car in the long term lot at the station. It is really a cost issue. My car will be parked there for 8 days, and the $5 per day cost trumps the $20 per day cost $40 vs $160). My car is 10 years old, with some visible dents, and I will make sure there is nothing of value in the car.

My question is in regard to how to pay for parking. Apparently, you have to pay in advance, and there is an unattended procedure that has to be followed. Can any one help me understand the parking procedure? Can you pay by credit card, or do you have to pay cash? What happens if my return train is a day late getting into NOL?

Any help?

I posted a similar question several weeks ago. I stirred up some discussion, with some hard feelings. I reviewed the comments, and appreciate all the input. However, I've decided to park my car in the long term lot at the station. It is really a cost issue. My car will be parked there for 8 days, and the $5 per day cost trumps the $20 per day cost $40 vs $160). My car is 10 years old, with some visible dents, and I will make sure there is nothing of value in the car.
My question is in regard to how to pay for parking. Apparently, you have to pay in advance, and there is an unattended procedure that has to be followed. Can any one help me understand the parking procedure? Can you pay by credit card, or do you have to pay cash? What happens if my return train is a day late getting into NOL?

Any help?
As I remember (this was 5 years ago), payment was unattended and cash only. The long term parking was immediately adjacent to the station's side entrance. There's a circle drive for passenger pick up and drop off, and there are parking spaces contained within that circle that are long term. There is also a lot just next to that, (downtown direction, if that means anything to you) which is also long term. My suggestion would be to find a space in the circle drive, since it's closer to the activity, and you'll feel better. Payment is in a metal box with slots for each parking space number. It's suspect, but I parked there for 5 days in 2005, and nothing happened. You'll need exact change, and there's a Subway in the station where you can make it. And trust me, you'll have a funny feeling in your stomach when you put the money in the slot.

I parked next to the Amtrak Station in New Orleans in May of 2010. There is a lot just to the right of the circle drive going into the station.

I was told by the ticket agent to not pay in cash. They said make a check out to

"Standard Parking" put it in the number slot that corresponds with the slot your car is parked in. It is now $5.00 per day. I was gone for three days so I made my check out for $15.00. I have a brand new Subaru and I had no problems with my car.

You have to fold the check up into a small wade, but it does fit in the slot. I also wrote my slot number on my check. That way if when they open the box to pick up the money and it gets mixed up at least they know what slot the check is for.

I hope this helps everyone out. I too had a very hard time finding any information about the parking in New Orleans at the station.

I parked next to the Amtrak Station in New Orleans in May of 2010. There is a lot just to the right of the circle drive going into the station.

I was told by the ticket agent to not pay in cash. They said make a check out to

"Standard Parking" put it in the number slot that corresponds with the slot your car is parked in. It is now $5.00 per day. I was gone for three days so I made my check out for $15.00. I have a brand new Subaru and I had no problems with my car.

You have to fold the check up into a small wade, but it does fit in the slot. I also wrote my slot number on my check. That way if when they open the box to pick up the money and it gets mixed up at least they know what slot the check is for.

I hope this helps everyone out. I too had a very hard time finding any information about the parking in New Orleans at the station.
Oh I don't know about a check...the homeless pick $$$ bills out of the slots with coat hangars. Can you imagine what they would do with your checking account # ? I always put the money in and push it way down with a comb. There have been times when my money would not fit because other people had deposited ahead of us. The fellow that collects the money has told me that if money is already there not to bother as he assumes whoever is parked there put it in. Then you really don't know just how much they deposited.

And I always park as close to the station as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have parked there 4 times with no problems. It is currently 5 a day. A bargain, no doubt. I park my older car when i go to NOL. A 96 model so it is not worth stealing.LOL

In late November, 2006, I left my car parked in that lot for 6 nights with absolutely no problem. I don't know if the young "parking attendant" was actually employed by the lot owner or not, but per his instructions I made out a check for the exact amount (I think $5 per day) payable to some parking company (I forget the name), and he took the check. I "tipped" him a fiver and, like I indicated above, the car was in pristine shape when I got back to it nearly a week later. The check was cashed within a normal time frame.

If this has changed, or if it doesn't work for someone, you can also leave your vehicle nearby in the Poydras Plaza Parking Garage on Girod St. for a much higher charge.

Yeah, my check was made out to "Standard Parking Corp." for $24. Must have been $4/day back then.

I looked at the parking lot on Google Earth and noticed where the parking lot pole lights were located and when we arrived, parked directly underneath one and within sight of the station. We did not have any problems and the car was there for 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back