(Long) Day Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeshore

Service Attendant
It had been about 9 months since my last train adventure, and I was getting the urge to take another trip. I didn't have time (or money) for a vacation-type trip, so I looked into scheduling a day trip. Being in Cleveland, my options are kind of limited on same day out-and-backs. I could spend 6-8 hours in Chicago, or 6-8 hours in Albany, NY. But I was intrigued by my third option, having about three hours in DC. I had never been there, so I thought that would be the way to go. I did some research and printed off a few maps. I knew what I wanted to see and (hopefully) how to get there.

The Capitol Limited pulled into Cleveland early Saturday morning around 1:30 (1/2 hour late). I had been watching the on-time performance, and it had bee getting into Cleveland late a lot, but making it up by the time it got to DC. So I wasn't worried about that. Pretty uneventful trip in coach. I couldn't sleep much, just couldn't get comfortable. So around 7 I went to the Diner and got the pancakes and about 4 cups of coffee, I think. Then 1 more cup from the lounge on the way back, for good measure. It was a beautiful day, and we pulled into Union Station almost 1/2 hour early. Even better! I had to catch the one leaving town at 4:05, so I had about 3 1/2 hours to see what I could see.

I found my way out of the station and headed for the Capitol building. I knew the general direction and I knew I would see it eventually. I found it and snapped a few pictures, then the journey began. I walked around the building and headed down the south side of the Mall. All of the buildings were beautiful, with all of the marble. I would keep looking at the maps along the sidewalk to see what they were, but those would have to wait for another day. I was surprised (and happy) to see so many people using the grass places to play football, fly kites, and just use it like a park. I had no idea that it was used like this.

I made my way down to the Washington Monument. It is just neat to be actually looking at something that you have only ever seen pictures of. Then to the WWII memorial. That was very nice. The Korean memorial was also very nice. I could see the Jefferson Memorial across the water, but didn't have time to make it over there. Then I was to the Lincoln Memorial. Another one of those that I have seen pictures of so many times, but now I am looking at it. That was a very nice memorial with the inscriptions on the inside. As I was heading up the North side, my legs started hurting and I started getting tired. Two hours of sleep that night was catching up to me. But, I had to go on. I made my way to the Vietnam Memorial. That was awesome. Then I headed up to the Washington Monument and took a left, to go back to the White House. That was very beautiful. There was some police presence at the gates. There were people walking around on the roof. I could sense that it was heavily guarded, along with the Capitol building, but the police kind of blend in. You don't really notice them very much. It was getting to be about 3 PM at this point, so I started heading back to the station. I was dragging. I made it back to the station about 3:40, bought a Post and found a seat in the Amtrak waiting area.

I had a seatmate until Martinsburg. After that, I tried to stretch out and get some sleep. I was able to sleep for about three hours, since I was totally exhausted. We got to Pittsburgh about 45 minutes early, so we sat there for about an hour. I nodded off a little between there and Alliance, but stayed awake from Alliance to Cleveland. We got in about 1/2 hour early Sunday morning. I made it home around 3:15 AM, I think. Finally got to get a little sleep in my own bed.

Everthing about the trip was perfect: the weather, the people, the trains and crews. I had a wonderful day. I know that I will need a rommette if I ever want to get any sleep on the train, though. :lol:

Washington DC is just an awesome place to visit. Someday I'll go back for a few days so I can see more. I mostly wanted to see the memorials this trip, since I had limited time. I missed the MLK memorial somehow, I'll have to catch that one next time. That is definitly a place where everyone should go at least once.

Nice trip report. You are right, everyone needs to visit Washington DC at least once. It really is a great city.

Last fall, I did a day trip to NYC and back on the Acela from WAS. Left my house around 5 a.m. and returned home around 1 a.m. after walking many blocks in Manhatten. I was exhausted but it was a lot of fun.

Ohh sounds really nice. I would like to visit DC one day, but I don't think I have enough money to travel to the East Coast yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back