Lodging in WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
We're thinking about a weekend in WAS, coming from BOS.

Anyone have a recommendation for lodging either within walking distance (1 mile, say), or easy Public Transit, from Union Station? For 2 nights - with the emphasis on affordability.

I have in mind visits to Smithsonian, Viet Nam Memorial, and general sightseeing (we like walking a lot, but again, public transit an option). Any other strong recommendations for things to do and see?

Thanks

Anyone have a recommendation for lodging either within walking distance (1 mile, say), or easy Public Transit, from Union Station? For 2 nights - with the emphasis on affordability.

I have in mind visits to Smithsonian, Viet Nam Memorial, and general sightseeing (we like walking a lot, but again, public transit an option). Any other strong recommendations for things to do and see?

Thanks
:hi: Check out the Phoenix Park Hotel! :wub: Its a block from Union Station, has great Weekend Rates (its very Pricey during the Week due to its location next to the Senate/House/Capitol/Supreme Court etc. etc.) Several oif our members have stayed there for less than $100 a night, its one of those Older Places that still maintains Style and elegance and theres a Very Good Irish Pub located in the Building! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Phoenix Park is $264 for 5/13, a Sunday night which is usually the cheapest of the week. I wanted to go up to DC the weekend of NTD but I can't find a place to stay that I can afford - including Crystal City and Arlington etc.

We stayed here this past weekend.

Washington Marriott Wardman Park - 2660 Woodley Road NW · Washington, DC 20008 USA

The Metro station is a very short walk (to the escalators) The elevator is even closer - on the corner of the property. It is on the RED line which is the line that serves Union Station. About a 10-15 min ride.

Not sure if the prices are within your range. My brother booked our room for us and he used a bidding site online to get it. We stayed in the old hotel section which I loved because I love old architecture.

We walked to the National Zoo on Sat. On Sun we took the Metro to The Mall (got a one-day pass for $9.00 so we could ride the metro as often as needed during the day).

Wash's Metro System

Phoenix Park is $264 for 5/13, a Sunday night which is usually the cheapest of the week. I wanted to go up to DC the weekend of NTD but I can't find a place to stay that I can afford - including Crystal City and Arlington etc.
Check this out: Washington Marriott Wardman Park - 2660 Woodley Road NW · Washington, DC 20008 USA I think I just saw they had some $99 for that weekend. But, don't forget that Washington is not have NTD this year.

Update: It appears that The Phoenix Park has raised its Weekend Rates Alot, so the Marriot Wardman Park , as has been said, is an Excellent choice! Also Google up the Embassy Row Hotel @ 2015 Mass Ave., its right by Dupont Circle and Embassy Row, by the Dupont Metro Stop and an excellent Value for the Money! (I found weekends @ $125 Rate!) Try different Weekends than NTD, Washington tends to be jammed in May with School Kids, Visitors etc. June or even July might be less crowded, the Governement sort of goes into Slow Down Mode and its an Election Year so all the "Statesmen" will want to be back home Hustling Votes and Money! :rolleyes:

I've had good luck staying in Alexandria VA; you've got Alexandria Union Station for arriving and departing Amtrak trains, and the King Street-Old Town station of the Washington Metro for local travel into DC. I think it's slightly nicer and less frenetic than staying in the capital itself, while still offering easy access.

I can't offer any suggestions on places to stay but I can offer some places that I like to visit.

Of course all the typical stuff on the mall, Smithsonian, National Archives, and the monuments. I was not impressed with the Newseum and you have to pay to get in that one. I enjoyed the Holocast museum but on a weekend this time of year may be hard to get in. It is free but during busier times you need tickets and it can be quite crowded. The Smithsonian Postal Museum is a great small museum which is close to the Amtrak station (across the street) so I always suggest that. The old post office building has great views of Washington and is close to the mall. It also has a food court for lunch that didn't appear too expensive to me. Expect most places you visit for security through metal detectors, empty pockets, etc.

The hotels in the DC core tend to be on the expensive side. Although as posted, you can find weekend discount rates. The DC Metro system covers a wide area with transit access to a number of hotels outside of the downtown DC core. There are hotels in Crystal City and Alexandria within walking distance of the DC Metro stations there.

The DC core is very much a walking area. Take the DC Metro to the Smithsonian or Federal Triangle stations to get to the National Mall and walk to the Smithsonian museums and the memorials in the Mall area. If you want to visit museums, there are a number of interesting ones not on the Mall: Spy Museum, Newseum, National Building Museum to name a few. Capitol Hill, Supreme Court, and Library of Congress are within easy walking distance of Union Station.

One warning about the DC Metro system is that they are doing a long series track projects on weekends that start at 10 PM on Fridays. Some weekends see parts of a line with several stations closed with buses bridging the gap to the stations. Single tracking can result in a long wait for the next train. But there is plenty of advance notice for the projects so you can plan around them.

Years ago my family stayed at a hotel near the New Carrollton station with a shuttle available to the station. I don't recall what hotel it was. New Carrollton is accessible via both Amtrak and the Metro.

Thanks
:hi: Check out the Phoenix Park Hotel! :wub: Its a block from Union Station, has great Weekend Rates (its very Pricey during the Week due to its location next to the Senate/House/Capitol/Supreme Court etc. etc.) Several oif our members have stayed there for less than $100 a night, its one of those Older Places that still maintains Style and elegance and theres a Very Good Irish Pub located in the Building! :cool:
Wow I like the sound of that one - especially the last line!

Thank you, and to all the responders. We are not sure when we'd go but the names of the hotels are great, I can call or check on line when we have dates in mind.

Assuming you only want 1 night on the 13th, right now I see a Hampton Inn out by Reagan/National for $141 AAA rate.

And the Hampton in Silver Springs, 3 blocks from the subway is $132 AAA.

Thanks
Wow I like the sound of that one - especially the last line!

Thank you, and to all the responders. We are not sure when we'd go but the names of the hotels are great, I can call or check on line when we have dates in mind.
While it may take some work to get through the list, this list shows hotels that are either within a 5 block walk of a subway/train station, or hotels that provide a shuttle from the subway to the hotel.

Assuming you only want 1 night on the 13th, right now I see a Hampton Inn out by Reagan/National for $141 AAA rate.

And the Hampton in Silver Springs, 3 blocks from the subway is $132 AAA.
Silver Spring is a great option for DC visitors wanting to say without paying the high downtown rates. There's a Marriott Courtyard there that can be had for $129 a night, and a Crowne Plaza that's comparable. Both are within walking distance from the Metro, and Silver Spring has a very vibrant, walkable downtown that's worth spending time exploring into itself. It's right on the Metro Red line, and is 15 min from Union Station.

As for things to do, there's definitely the mall, the monuments, the tidal basin, and the Smithsonian museums, which are all quite good, and Free. Be ware of other museums that charge, as some I'm not quite sure are worth the high cost of admissions. Examples in this category are the National Museum of Crime and Punishment, the Spy Museum, the Newseum, and the National Geographic Museum.

Two hidden gems that many tourists overlook are the Old Post Office Building clock tower, which offers great views of the city and hosts the Congressional Bells, and the National Building Museum. That, and the Post Office museum right next to Union Station are two of my favorites.

For the more nature inclined, there's the National Botanical Garden right on the mall, and if you are up for a short drive, bike ride, or decent walk, there's the National Arboretum as well.

Then there are plenty of off the beaten path small monuments, parks, and other things to see and do. Is there anything in particular you are interested in seeing/doing in DC?

~ DCTE

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington. They were two blocks from the Church street station (if I remember correctly) and they had a shuttle to Arlington National Cemetary. They were on the Orange line if I remember correctly. Excellent service, clean and easy to get to and from.

Courthouse Metro (which is on the orange line).

I'd get a tour of the US Capitol too, it's a pretty impressive building and the visitor's center has a lot of nice stuff in it (of course I'm biased, the wife works there, so I've gotten the "good tour").

I'm also a big fan of the FDR Memorial, lots of cool pictures to be taken there...

it varies, but in the past I have had good luck with the grand hyatt, which is a short metro ride from union station. I have stayed there with $99/night specials in the past. once your dates are set, also look on Booking.com, which is operated by priceline. you can frequently find rates that are 50% (or more) off the rack rate. I used it recently for a trip to nyc and it was fantastic.

The Old Town Trolley Tours are a great way to see the sights in DC. they have hop-on, hop-off options, as well as other more structured tours. it's a fun way to get around and see the major sights. Depending on your time constraints, the National Zoo is a very enjoyable way to spend a day or an afternoon. No matter what you do, pack comfy shoes! :)

If you're wanting to go really cheap, there's a hostel (some rooms are two-person, if they're not sold out) within a few blocks of Union Station that's very reasonable (and has very friendly staff). It's called the "Downtown Washington Hostel".

Enjoyed it immensely, but I was by myself, so the social aspect was definitely appreciated.

Note, however, that during NTD, the two-bed rooms are booked, and you're still looking at $40-$50/person.

I'd get a tour of the US Capitol too, it's a pretty impressive building and the visitor's center has a lot of nice stuff in it (of course I'm biased, the wife works there, so I've gotten the "good tour").
Just be sure to bring absolutely nothing with you. They make you throw out everything, including the kitchen sink if you happen to be carrying one, before they'll let you enter. Got a cookie in your bag? Throw it out. Got a bottle of water in your bag? Throw it out.

If you don't want to be hassled, show up with nothing but the clothes on your back, your phone, & a camera.

And it is best to make a reservation for a tour, just be sure to get there at least 45 minutes before your time so as to make it through security.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington. They were two blocks from the Church street station (if I remember correctly) and they had a shuttle to Arlington National Cemetary. They were on the Orange line if I remember correctly. Excellent service, clean and easy to get to and from.
That was the Court House stop on the Orange line Al.

Just be sure to bring absolutely nothing with you. They make you throw out everything, including the kitchen sink if you happen to be carrying one, before they'll let you enter. Got a cookie in your bag? Throw it out. Got a bottle of water in your bag? Throw it out.

If you don't want to be hassled, show up with nothing but the clothes on your back, your phone, & a camera.

And it is best to make a reservation for a tour, just be sure to get there at least 45 minutes before your time so as to make it through security.
Indeed, you should hear some of the stories that Amy has to tell.

It really isn't that bad, no food, no drinks, no weapons.

Indeed, you should hear some of the stories that Amy has to tell.

It really isn't that bad, no food, no drinks, no weapons.
I've done the Capitol Tour pre and post visitor's center and I don't think the tour is anything special anymore. It is much shorter than before, though that could have just been the day I was there. There is a little movie intro and then they take you to one of the old chambers and underneath the dome, then down to the crypt beneath the dome. All told it was maybe 30 minutes. If you are really into the building it might be worth your time, but you can get much the same effect by looking at a picture of the painting around the rotunda and the dome. I can't recall, but I think you can go into the visitor's center without the tour if you want to look around at some of the statues, but even that isn't anything remarkable. I would rank it much lower than the Old Post Office or any of the other museums and such.

Right across the street, the Library of Congress I think is just as interesting and the tours are normally easy to do. I wound up getting a guide who was really into the detail and greatly increased length of the tour, but I think a normal tour is 30-45 minutes and they take you into the central reading room.

If you are hungry and around the area, the National Museum of Native Americans has a good food place that features foods from all over the native areas. It is a bit more expensive than cheap fast food, but not unreasonable. I think a meal with drink and desserts was somewhere in the $10-12 range per person. The rest of the Smithsonian places are Mc Donald's only. The National Gallery of Art is the only other place with a non Mc D's cafeteria. Food is somewhat limited on the Mall proper. There is a cafeteria in the new Capitol Visitor's center I think, but I didn't look into it to see what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back