Lodging close to Amtrak Station in Galesburg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmama

Train Attendant
We need to stay here 2 nights before catching the SWC back to Ft. Worth. We're hoping to stay within walking distance of Amtrak. An earlier post has discussed the restaurants, which are close to Amtrak. So all we need is a place to stay - and we're good to go. Anyone ever spend the night here? Suggestions appreciated.

Aside from personal recommendatios you can always use Amtrak's service: Amtrak hotel search. Just plug in the station and it'll tell you how far the options are from the station.

Aside from personal recommendatios you can always use Amtrak's service: Amtrak hotel search. Just plug in the station and it'll tell you how far the options are from the station.
Thanks for your reply. I had tried that, but the closest lodging was 2+ miles from Amtrak. So I guess we'll have to taxi over and back. Since there wasn't anything close, I was hoping for personal recommendations from some overnight passengers!

Several years ago I stayed at America's Best Value Inn. The reviews are not good, but I survived two nights as I was making runs both north and south on Amtrak and just needed a place to sleep. I felt safe and the attached restaurant actually had some decent food, especially for breakfast. Now, again, it has been a few years since I was there so I don't know how it is right now. Google maps show it to be .5 miles from the station and a 10 minute walk.

We need to stay here 2 nights before catching the SWC back to Ft. Worth. We're hoping to stay within walking distance of Amtrak. An earlier post has discussed the restaurants, which are close to Amtrak. So all we need is a place to stay - and we're good to go. Anyone ever spend the night here? Suggestions appreciated.
The Southwest Chief (SWC) does not go to Fort Worth. Did you mean something else or are you going to Kansas City-Oklahoma City-Fort Worth?

Try the "search near a US address" feature on Expedia.com. It will give you a list of hotels in order of distance from any US address.

Personally:

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just off of East Main Street many times. Nothing special, but very clean and comfortable with friendly, helpful staff. I'd recommend it. There's Hy-Vee grocery store just across the street. Unfortunately, it's probably too far to walk from the station.

The Best Western Prairie Inn is even further east, and I believe they have an on-request shuttle van that could take you from and to the station. They also have a restaurant, but there are no other choices for food nearby. I have also stayed here, though not recently due to my concerns about security. This is a large, rambling building with entrances from the parking lots all around the property. As of my latest visit, they were all unlocked, unmonitored and poorly lit.

Most of the hotels I remember in Galesburg are located near the mall - there was a Fairfield and Comfort Inn as I recall. There was another property (Jumers?) located on an I-70 offramp on the north side of town. I stayed at all three about ten years ago, the first two were ok, the last one, eh, not so hot.

Downtown, there used to be a Ramada Inn that was on the roundabout on main street, just up from where the old Santa Fe station was. This would be a long walk, or short cab ride away.

FWIW, Enterprise used to have a car rental location right by the station. Not sure what the story is with rental pickups, they used to work with folks pretty well and the location was ideal. There is also a local Ford dealership that did rentals.

Good luck with your trip, it's a neat area, lots of history and nice scenery!

The Southwest Chief (SWC) does not go to Fort Worth. Did you mean something else or are you going to Kansas City-Oklahoma City-Fort Worth?
I guess I would have realized sooner or later - but of course you're right - we're leaving Chicago on the Texas Eagle and I'm not sure it even goes through Galesburg.

Back to the drawing board.

(THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!)

I guess I would have realized sooner or later - but of course you're right - we're leaving Chicago on the Texas Eagle and I'm not sure it even goes through Galesburg.

Back to the drawing board.

(THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!)
Brahmama,

Here is a list of all hotels in the Chicago area that are accessible by rail with either a short walk from the station or via a hotel courtesy shuttle. Not only does the list include downtown hotels, but it includes hotels by the airports, and hotels that are in the outer suburbs and are reachable by Chicago's Metra commuter rail system.

I suspect that you can find something along the commuter lines, if not out at the airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back