Location of end to end coach car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the majority of my LD trips this year are end to end, I was wondering if there is a particular consist for where the passangers are placed that are traveling from end to end? For instance, I am traveling the CZ in February from CHI to EMY and then the TE from LAX to CHI.

Well I can tell you for certain about #422. Only 1 coach and 1 sleeper are switched at SAS from the SL to the TE. So if you're booked in the #422 coach, there is only 1 possibility. If you are booked on #2 connecting to either #22 or #422, you need to get off in SAS and then wait for boarding time around 7 am.

Well I can tell you for certain about #422. Only 1 coach and 1 sleeper are switched at SAS from the SL to the TE. So if you're booked in the #422 coach, there is only 1 possibility. If you are booked on #2 connecting to either #22 or #422, you need to get off in SAS and then wait for boarding time around 7 am.
I am booked on 422 so I don't have to get off. I can sleep in the coach and wait. Did not even think of it only being one on the TE, thanks.

Reason I ask this question, I have limited mobility, walk with a cane when nothing to hold on to, so was wondering if the end-to-end coach is specified on the CZ and is it further away from the diner and lounge or closer?

Last edited by a moderator:
In CHI, request a Red Cap to get out to your train and explain the situation. If necessary also make the request to the CA if it is far from the Dining Car. I'm almost sure they can accommodate your request. Good luck and enjoy your trip! :)

Hi,

I think, with the exception of the TE, and Lakeshore ltd, which switch cars from one train to another, all other coach cars go from one end of the route to the other. It is convenient for staff to insist that persons going to a certain destination sit in the one coach, but if you explain your difficulty in walking, they can place you elsewhere. As the traveler mentions, get a red cap which also means you get to the train before the rest of us... and can get the best seats!

Ed :cool:

My mobility impaired hubby always found Amtrak personnel to be very helpful. Our travels ranged from times of no mobility issues to finally wheelchair bound on the Crescent. Hopefully the level of service is the same on other trains. Do let them know of your needs. You might consider tipping accordingly if they provide extra services, your decision of course. Have a great trip!

In CHI, request a Red Cap to get out to your train and explain the situation. If necessary also make the request to the CA if it is far from the Dining Car. I'm almost sure they can accommodate your request. Good luck and enjoy your trip! :)
I will difintely use the red cap, I know I will ask for it before I get off in Chicago to get to the station, where do you go to get one for the next train if I am in coach and not in a sleeper? Or will they be readily available and easy to find in the station?

Also, if I am in coach and need a meal brought to me, if I find it is too far to walk, will the coach attendant do that?

June,

Since you're arriving by train, if you proceed with your plan to ask the crew to get you a Redcap to get into the station, that same Redcap should come back to get you for your next train provided that you give him/her the details. And if for some reason that Redcap is going off duty before your departing train, then they should arrange for another Redcap to take care of you.

If you are boarding the CZ at the end of the line and are traveling via coach to the other end of the line, the crew will probably assign you to the ""12" car, which is adjacent to the superliner lounge and one car removed from the diner. But, if you are mobility impaired, you might ask the ticket agent at the time of purchase to assign you a coach seat in the lower level seating area reserved for mobility impaired passengers. All toilets in superliner coaches are on this lower level, and the attendant will be quite willing to get your food orders for you from the diner or superliner lounge cafe and bring them to your coach seat, so you won't have to be climbing up and down those narrow, twisting staircases and then walking between cars.

In my experiences on the Starlight, passengers on all the way are seated in the last coach. However, I don't see a reason as to why you couldn't be accomodated.

What Guest_chakk_* said was spot on about getting the lower coach seating if it's available. Easy on, easy off, restrooms there, luggage can be stowed right there. CAVEAT-MAKE SURE that your TICKET ACTUALLY SAYS LOWER LEVEL or something like that. Was chatting with a lady on the platform before the train arrived and she said she was sitting in the lower level too. I looked at her ticket and it didn't show lower level wording. I told her that and she insisted she was sitting in the lower level. Well, you can imagine the foofooraw that ensued. She was VERY vocal & extremely PO'd. They accomodated her somehow after the train got going (had to wait until everyone else was accounted for and seated before they could turn their attention to her).

Amtrak says that the "lower level seating is reserved for our elderly or handicapped passengers" BUT that doesn't stop Joe Passenger who is perfectly ok, from making that reservation, just because he wants to get off to smoke quicker.

The Short Version-get the lower coach seating as soon as possible! If you haven't gotten it, call Amtrak & try to change your tix.

Jackie's mom,

Actually what happens is that a certain number of lower level seats are not available via Amtrak.com, they are only available by calling Amtrak. These seats are the ones "reserved" for the elderly and those with special needs and they can only be had by calling or visiting with an agent in person.

The remaining lower level seats are available to anyone, and are sold on Amtrak.com as well as by any agent.

If you are boarding the CZ at the end of the line and are traveling via coach to the other end of the line, the crew will probably assign you to the ""12" car, which is adjacent to the superliner lounge and one car removed from the diner. But, if you are mobility impaired, you might ask the ticket agent at the time of purchase to assign you a coach seat in the lower level seating area reserved for mobility impaired passengers. All toilets in superliner coaches are on this lower level, and the attendant will be quite willing to get your food orders for you from the diner or superliner lounge cafe and bring them to your coach seat, so you won't have to be climbing up and down those narrow, twisting staircases and then walking between cars.
Is the lower level area quieter or noiser because of the on and off all the time with the stops during the night? I don't think the stairs will be an issue, I am good if I can hold on to things. It is long distances that is the issue. But when I go pick up my tickets and pass, I will ask about the lower level and see if they can change it to that for the CZ, unless I get my tax returns back then I can get the upgrade to a roomette.

I have sat in the lower level once or twice. I did not consider it noisier because of people getting on and off, as there is a sliding door separating the seating area from the exit area, and most car attendants insure that it is not propped open if there are no passengers entering or leaving that lower coach seating section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back