LMY Shuttle Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anuenue

Train Attendant
I just booked Southwest Chief from LAX to LMY, and included a shuttle in my Amtrak reservation. The ticket refers to it as Road Runner Thruway.

Is that the same service that I've seen others refer to as the Santa Fe Shuttle (mom and pop operation)? If they're not the same, is there an advantage to one over the other?

After I hung up with the Amtrak agent, I realized she never asked me where I want to be dropped off by the Shuttle. I want to go to my hotel, which is centrally located in SF.

Amtrak charged $34 for the Shuttle. I have no problem with the cost, but is there a better deal out there?

Thanks

Unless it has been changed, it's mom and pop operation with a van with a trailer for luggage. They can drop or pick you up in front of hotel of your choice within Santa Fe area. As for drop off location, that's no problem. All you have to do is to ask the driver for drop off location at a hotel in Santa Fe. However, you'll need to call Lamy Shuttle phone number for hotel pick-up.

Another way to get to Santa Fe is to get off the Chief at Albuquerque and take Rail Runner commuter rail service.

Thank you both. But I'm still confused. Since my ticket says "Rail Runner" on it, how do I know if that means the shuttle bus or the train?

Another way to get to Santa Fe is to get off the Chief at Albuquerque and take Rail Runner commuter rail service.
If you decide to pursue this option, check the schedules! The Rail Runner schedule is not coordinated with the SWC at all; it is a commuter service. For example, it was shut down entirely on January 2 and will be on many holidays. On weekdays, there is a five hour layover in ABQ from the eastbound SWC arriving and the next Rail Runner leaving for Santa Fe; on weekends, a two hour layover.

Also, are you sure your ticket says Rail Runner and not Road Runner? The shuttle ticket should definitely say Road Runner.

Take care,

Ainamkartma

If you decide to pursue this option, check the schedules! The Rail Runner schedule is not coordinated with the SWC at all; it is a commuter service. For example, it was shut down entirely on January 2 and will be on many holidays. On weekdays, there is a five hour layover in ABQ from the eastbound SWC arriving and the next Rail Runner leaving for Santa Fe; on weekends, a two hour layover.

Also, are you sure your ticket says Rail Runner and not Road Runner? The shuttle ticket should definitely say Road Runner.

Take care,

Ainamkartma
Yeah, you'll save a lot of money but if the SWC is running on schedule, you'd face a multi-hour layover in ABQ. If you don't have a lot of stuff, there's plenty of ways to pass the time in ABQ...Old Town is a very short bus ride away, for instance...but the ABQ train station itself isn't a particularly nice place to wait around.

Take care,

Ainamkartma
GOOD CATCH, @Ainamkartma! It does, indeed, say Road Runner. And when I went back to look at it after reading your question, I notice it does say "Bus" on it. <forehead slap> Thank you!

Take care,

Ainamkartma
Yeah, you'll save a lot of money but if the SWC is running on schedule, you'd face a multi-hour layover in ABQ. If you don't have a lot of stuff, there's plenty of ways to pass the time in ABQ...Old Town is a very short bus ride away, for instance...but the ABQ train station itself isn't a particularly nice place to wait around.
I disagree. We have been to ABQ a number of times in the past couple of years (I used to live there years ago) and I have sister and a niece that live near the station. It's only a couple of blocks to some neat restaurants downtown. We never encountered a problem. RailRunner does not meet the train but is an awesome ride ($4 to Santa Fe for seniors).

Take care,

Ainamkartma
I disagree. We have been to ABQ a number of times in the past couple of years (I used to live there years ago) and I have sister and a niece that live near the station. It's only a couple of blocks to some neat restaurants downtown. We never encountered a problem. RailRunner does not meet the train but is an awesome ride ($4 to Santa Fe for seniors).
My last time at the ABQ station, the Amtrak section was full (people had to sit on the floor), and the men's room was filthy with overflowing toilets. Not a good look. The RailRunner section was "okay." But yeah, the general area around the station is fine and if you're not weighed down with luggage it's a pleasant enough place to spend a layover. Overall though if someone is headed to Santa Fe, then probably going to LMY and booking the shuttle is basically the sensible option.

Back