Link to Viewliner II Designs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, cm'on. Unless there are lobotomies in any of our histories there's no reason why anyone with computer graphics on AU can't use a llittle imagination with what they'll be like, what they can become.

Gotta love life, live life, now. Bang your drum and sing your song now.

FOIA= Freedom of Information Act

It's a federal law that compells most agencies (including Amtrak) to disclose information and documents controlled by the United States government.

Someone could in theory request the Viewliner designs and Amtrak would need to disclose them (unless it falls under one of the few exemptions. There's got to be some plans lying around that Amtrak sent to CAF.

It just takes someone with someone with some knowledge of the law to write up the request.

You can always submit a FOIA request for them.
Since Amtrak actually owns those designs, they might well be able to deny providing them as it could be considered proprietary info that could hurt the company.

Regardless, by the time one goes through the trouble to file, fights any appeals, and assuming that you actually win, you'll be able to just step into the new cars anyhow and you won't care about the renderings anymore.

What is a FOIA?
Freedom of Information Act. I doubt that the details and drawings of an Amtrak owned design being built under a contract by CAF would be subject to FOIA. We will get pictures and renderings of the new cars from CAF when Amtrak is ready to release them, most likely when the 4 initial units being delivered to Amtrak for testing are ready for a public roll-out. We know know what the diners are going to look like.

Anyhow, the big unknown would be the new dorm/baggage cars. One can already see the Viewliner diner via pictures on the net and I've even described things a bit on here as well as posting a few of my own pictures.

The new sleepers will look largely identical to the current ones. Other than a more modern feel, the H-room and the Bedrooms should look no different. The Roomettes will see the removal of the toilet from the room. Because of that, the attendant who would currently get room #14, moves into room #12 now. That means only 11 revenue roomettes in the new cars. The shower stays where it is in position 13 and in position 14 will be two public restrooms for those in the roomettes. I'm not sure if the final design went ahead with moving the coffee station from its current location down to where the linen closet is, right at the turn behind the B Bedroom and Room #1, or if they left it where it was.

The new bag/dorms will see a little more than half the car given over to the crew dorm, the rest to baggage. There should be 7 shelving units to help organize and stack the bags, along with a bike rack in the baggage area. The other half has 9 roomettes, 1 shower, and 2 public restrooms.

Oh, cm'on. Unless there are lobotomies in any of our histories there's no reason why anyone with computer graphics on AU can't use a llittle imagination with what they'll be like, what they can become.
Gotta love life, live life, now. Bang your drum and sing your song now.
?

FOIA= Freedom of Information ActIt's a federal law that compells most agencies (including Amtrak) to disclose information and documents controlled by the United States government.

Someone could in theory request the Viewliner designs and Amtrak would need to disclose them (unless it falls under one of the few exemptions. There's got to be some plans lying around that Amtrak sent to CAF.

It just takes someone with someone with some knowledge of the law to write up the request.
Alright, thanks.

The Roomettes will see the removal of the toilet from the room.
We've focused so much on the removal of the toilet, I have forgotten if the sink is being removed too. Is it?
That's one thing that I'm uncertain of. Sorry! :(

The renderings that I was fortunate enough to see several years ago were not clear on that point. Furthermore, a point was made when the order was placed for these new cars that a few changes had been made to the original plans. So I honestly don't know.

The initial process actually requires no legal knowledge beyond understanding what FOIA can be used to request, which Amtrak helpfully describes here, along with the process for submitting a request: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267362261. The FOIA Handbook, and Instructions for Submitting an FOIA Request are two helpful reads that outline the process.

I've submitted several requests for some operating information, and in fact was just called by Sharron today about one of them, to confirm what I was asking for, and whether I would like it in physical or digital format. In general, as long as you know exactly what you're looking for (which can be difficult at times, but it's this due diligence that pays dividends on their end), the Amtrak FOIA staff are very helpful and friendly about providing material that they are able to procure.

Concur, I've found them pretty excellent.
What info are you requesting, it sounds interesting...
Food Prep Guides for the LDs (as a bigger part of my project). I learned just this month that each LD has a unique guide to it, making my FOIA requests that much more tedious now, as I have to request each one individually instead of one comprehensive service manual.

~ DCTE

The new bag/dorms will see a little more than half the car given over to the crew dorm, the rest to baggage. There should be 7 shelving units to help organize and stack the bags, along with a bike rack in the baggage area. The other half has 9 roomettes, 1 shower, and 2 public restrooms.
We aren't sure about that. The photos we've seen of carshells look suspiciously as if Amtrak may have decided to go with more baggage space and fewer rooms. (Though it's also possible that some of the dorm rooms will have no windows, I guess.) That's actually a tough call, given that there is high demand for both rooms and baggage space.
I'd love to see confirmation of how many roomettes are going to be in the bag-dorms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back