Letter from my senator

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I can't tell if he is for us or against us.

mm_letter.jpg

This letter reads almost word for word like the one I reveived from my senator, Roberts R-Kansas. This must be a generic resposne the Republicans have been given to asuwage those who care about amtrak in thier states.

Coming from Mitch McConnell, this letter sounds pretty darn positive. Maybe he's getting the message that the public wants more and not less when it comes to passenger rail and when it comes to Amtrak.

It sounds as if at first he doesn't support Amtrak, but at the end he mentions he will keep your support in mind. This is exactly what a Congressman is suppose to do; honor those wishes of his constituents, and not nessecarily exactly what he or she wants.

I think he has a positive note.

Chris

At first glance it doesn't give much hope, but reading it again he does note the skepticism congress has shown for W's "no funding" plan, so perhaps that letter really does have some rays of hope in it. I've sent emails to my reps. No responses so far.

I've sent emails to my reps. No responses so far.
This letter I recevied was in response to my sending him an email several months ago. I had given up hope I would even hear from him at all.

I'm hoping he is being positive about it and that's what this letter is saying.

Call his or her office and demand a response. Tell the clerk youve written and havent heard anything. I called Boxers office in CA a couple months ago and asked why Boxer didnt vote for the Byrd admendent. I was surprised the clerk called back the next day and said Boxer was offering a bill of her own.

The really interesting thing to do here would be to see if GOP senators from everywhere else have the identical letter.

That might get some media attention.

Here is the letter I just got from Hillary. Her response is obviously a form letter, but quite positive. Granted, it's pretty much a given that New York supports Amtrak.

Dear Mr. Bender:

Because you have written to me regarding our nation's rail transportation and particularly Amtrak, I wanted to take some time to update you on the status of Amtrak and what I have been doing with regard to this issue.

Passenger rail is probably more important to New York than to any other state. New York is a main link in Amtrak's Northeast Corridor Service, and Penn Station in New York City is the busiest rail station in the country. Amtrak's Empire Corridor is not only a vital link between the Capitol Region and Western New York, but is also essential for eventually bringing high speed rail to upstate New York. For Fiscal Year 2005, I was able to help secure $1.2 billion in the Omnibus Appropriations bill, which is substantially more than the amount requested by the Administration. Now that the Administration is proposing to cut Amtrak's funding entirely, we have a difficult challenge ahead of us.

During the consideration of the President's fiscal year 2006 Budget, I co-sponsored an Amendment that would have restored $1.4 billion for Amtrak which failed because the majority leadership and the Bush Administration fought this funding. New Yorkers rely on rail more than perhaps any other state in the nation. Nearly 9 million passengers boarded Amtrak trains at Penn Station in 2004. Albany-Rensselaer station is the 10th busiest in the country, and much of the upstate economy depends on access to Amtrak through Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. I will continue to fight during the appropriations process to help restore this funding so that Amtrak is not bankrupt.

I am confident that working with my Congressional colleagues who understand the importance of intercity passenger rail, we will be able to preserve adequate funding for Amtrak. Please be assured that I will fight as hard as I can to preserve this essential component of New York State's and the nation's transportation system.

Again, thank you for writing. Please visit my website http://clinton.senate.gov for regular updates on Amtrak and other critical transportation issues being discussed before the United States Senate.

Sincerely yours,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Back