Let's say you forgot to tip your sleeping car attendant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you were in a rush to get off the train (which is silly, it was early), and in your tunnel vision completely forgot to reward her for what may possibly have been the most exemplary service you've experienced in nearly 15 years. Something you've never forgotten to do until today. Embarrassing.

Let's say you only know her first name and what route she works and want to do something to reward her. Is there a way I can give feedback to Amtrak that will get back to her?

Because you were in a rush to get off the train (which is silly, it was early), and in your tunnel vision completely forgot to reward her for what may possibly have been the most exemplary service you've experienced in nearly 15 years. Something you've never forgotten to do until today. Embarrassing.

Let's say you only know her first name and what route she works and want to do something to reward her. Is there a way I can give feedback to Amtrak that will get back to her?
If you have the details, like car number, date, and train, then you could get in touch with Customer Relations to express your thanks and appreciation of their acts.

Write down the details and then call Customer Relations during normal business hours. You could try emailing as well but based on the replies received I'm not sure Amtrak actually reads any customer emails.

It's hard to find, but go to the Amtrak website and at the VERY bottom click on "contact us". From here, ask Julie "employee praise". It provides a link for the form to complete.

I thought there was a specific phone number.

It's hard to find, but go to the Amtrak website and at the VERY bottom click on "contact us". From here, ask Julie "employee praise". It provides a link for the form to complete.

I thought there was a specific phone number.
Thanks for pointing that out! Praise has been sent.

To be honest, I usually tip my SCA well ahead of our final destination once I see the level of service that I'm getting. I even threw in an extra 20 last time I rode the SWC just to be woken up or alerted to every stop where I could step out for a minute or two and have a quick smoke. (Yes, I'm addicted....deal with it) To this day, I still think about that SCA.....Definitely was one of a kind.

If you had a last name, you might be able to mail it to the appropriate Crew base (assuming you know that). Without that information, I don't know what to suggest.

Tom
A friend who works for Amtrak has agreed to help me do just that. Check should be in the mail next week :)
To be honest, I usually tip my SCA well ahead of our final destination once I see the level of service that I'm getting. I even threw in an extra 20 last time I rode the SWC just to be woken up or alerted to every stop where I could step out for a minute or two and have a quick smoke. (Yes, I'm addicted....deal with it) To this day, I still think about that SCA.....Definitely was one of a kind.
Might be time for me to get in that habit. Up until now, I'll leave a tip as I'm detraining, but this time I was in the dorm car (she was working both cars) and didn't get to see her when I left, which is how it slipped my mind.

This was also on the SWC, btw, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person. Miles above the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a last name, you might be able to mail it to the appropriate Crew base (assuming you know that). Without that information, I don't know what to suggest.

Tom
A friend who works for Amtrak has agreed to help me do just that. Check should be in the mail next week :)
Might be time for me to get in that habit. Up until now, I'll leave a tip as I'm detraining, but this time I was in the dorm car (she was working both cars) and didn't get to see her when I left, which is how it slipped my mind.

This was also on the SWC, btw, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person. Miles above the rest.
SWC -- was her name Peggy??

Tom

SWC -- was her name Peggy??
Peggy was great on my trip. I sent a compliment to Amtrak when I got home.

To be honest, I usually tip my SCA well ahead of our final destination once I see the level of service that I'm getting.
Good idea. It avoids the flurry of activity, whether at an intermediate or final stop.

I'm sure the attendant appreciates the praise, but I imagine they'd like the tip better.
If she consistently provides an exemplary level of service, the employee no doubt receives plenty of generous tips already. Having a customer take the time to offer praise to the company has intangible benefits that potentially go beyond an extra $20 bill in the employee's pocket.

On the Capitol Limited, my Sleeping Car Attendant has always given me a bussiness card with his or her name on it with a number to call and leave feedback.

I have always tipped them as I get on board the Car.

Carlos was the best of all of them so far.... Great service.

Just got off of train 30 this afternoon. Very professional service. Our attendant gave us tour-guide-level commentary as we went through Maryland and WV.

The attendant I started this thread about is named Cynthia. She had a special springtime display with handmade decorations next to the coffee pot, and was super attentive given that she was responsible for both a sleeper + the dorm car. Some people really go the extra mile to make you feel welcome.

I have always tipped them as I get on board the Car.
Payment before service doesn't sound like any tip I've ever head about. Personally I'd prefer to receive poor service rather than risk bribing my way to improved service from an otherwise poorly performing employee.

Our attendant gave us tour-guide-level commentary as we went through Maryland and WV.
Was this over the PA? That would be a big turnoff for me. Most of my trips are over territory I've already seen many times in the past, so in most cases I'd prefer that the attendant limit the commentary to those who ask for it rather than dragging the whole car along whether they want it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were on the Southwest Chief one year where flooding caused a bustitution between Kansas City and Chicago. In all the chaos, we forgot to tip our sleeping car attendant.

I was going to LA in coach later the same year (to attend a Gathering) and at a stop saw him coming from a sleeper. I explained what happened and tipped him on the spot. Boy was he surprised.

I'm sure the attendant appreciates the praise, but I imagine they'd like the tip better.
If she consistently provides an exemplary level of service, the employee no doubt receives plenty of generous tips already. Having a customer take the time to offer praise to the company has intangible benefits that potentially go beyond an extra $20 bill in the employee's pocket.
I would tend to agree with that; odds are the only time this employee (and most others) has received feedback via official channels is because someone complained about something. (And in my last few experiences with sleepers, there seem to have been plenty of needy passengers who would have done just that.)

Justin was the SCA on my last trip on the CS and he was the best I'd ever seen. And he got both a nice tip and a good comment on the employee praise portion of amtrak.com. Others have felt the same way, see page 4 of the December 2015 Amtrak Ink. Customer attaboys are always a good thing to have in your file.

Our attendant gave us tour-guide-level commentary as we went through Maryland and WV.
Was this over the PA? That would be a big turnoff for me. Most of my trips are over territory I've already seen many times in the past, so in most cases I'd prefer that the attendant limit the commentary to those who ask for it rather than dragging the whole car along whether they want it or not.
It's pie-in-the-sky dreaming, but that's why it would be nice to have a functioning selector in each room. Someone who is interested could listen, and someone who is not could turn that channel off.

I'm in agreement that "payment before service" isn't something I would consider.
I've tipped before AND after many times....Either I'm just exceedingly lucky that the level of service was always top notch, or maybe because I tipped ahead of time, that may have made the level of service I would have otherwise received just that much better. YMMV, of course.

I'm in agreement that "payment before service" isn't something I would consider.
I think that's because we generally call that a bribe.

It's not tipping if the service has yet to be completed.

I think that's because we generally call that a bribe.

It's not tipping if the service has yet to be completed.
I'm pretty much in agreement with that; having been on both sides of the customer service counter, I want employees to provide good service as part of their job, not because someone prompted them with inducement and a wink. If they are not motivated to do so otherwise, then that puts pressure on them that they might not want and will at some point resent. If they are normally motivated to provide outstanding service, then there's additional pressure to provide extra attention that others might notice and say "What the...?" and possibly complain because they didn't get the same level of service. I think it's a no-win situation, at some point or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back