"Let the towns drift slowly by"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Yahoo!

I am due to start my next Amtrak trip in just over a weeks time from Chicago on 22 April, with a 30 day rail pass in my pocket. After my tour I will fly home to UK from New York on 20 May.. All I have to do now is to decide where to go..”Can you hear the steel rails humming, that’s the hobo’s lullabye”

This hobo is looking forward to notching up a few thousand steel rail miles.

Ed B)

Go everywhere.
That brings up an interesting question: how long would it take to hit every single point in the Amtrak system? I suspect it would be longer than 30 days, but you probably need a computer program to figure out the exact number.
If someone wants to do the math and post a sample itinerary, I'll bite--I've wanted to do this for a long time!

(If necessary, I could skip the runs I've already done--the CS, CL, and Cardinal, but all three have things I'd like to either see again or that I slept through the first time.)

Hi,

I should perhaps have mentioned that the post title comes from a Woody Guthrie song, I am not sure how widely known his music is these days!

I feel sure that one could pass through every station on the Amtrak pdf map in a month, but I am not after any mileage records this trip. There is however a record for visiting every London Underground (aka tube/metro) station:

"The record for visiting all the stations in one day is currently held by Jack Wellsby, a young man of 25 who writes captions for the deaf on BBC television programmes. His record stands at 19 hours, 18 minutes and 45 seconds, set in April 2002. Jack grew up in Nottingham, and became fascinated by the Tube during visits to his grandmother in Northolt. He was particularly interested in the Tube map, which he would stare at for hours, trying to work out the most efficient order in which to visit the stations. "It was a problem that interested me as a mathematician," says Jack, who has a degree in maths. It took him six months to work out a route, so it's not surprising he won't divulge it, except to say that he started at Heathrow Terminal Four at 5.04am and finished at Amersham at 25 past midnight. In his sandwiches, aspirants to the record might like to know, was ham. His toilet breaks were carefully planned. There's a gents, for example, but no ladies, at Mill Hill East. (At mention of this, I told Jack that during my time in East London, there'd been a ladies but no gents at Leytonstone, and his planet-sized brain was set whirring: "I wonder if it balances out across the network ... ) "

Back to topic, I have just reserved the first train so far, taking me 2,438 miles from Chicago to the "golden west". I had better get organised, only 9 more days before I become an inhabitant of that twilight world, known as the Amtrak system..

Ed B)

When I was an undergrad in Boston some of my friends were working on the problem of visit all the New York Subway stops in the minimum time (on one fare)

The place was littered with schedules & computer printouts - Unfortunately, I neither know if they were successful, nor do I know the time it took.

When I was an undergrad in Boston some of my friends were working on the problem of visit all the New York Subway stops in the minimum time (on one fare)
Aloha

Was done years ago, somewhere in the NYC Subway "facts and figures" tells about it. IFIRC time was near 24 hours.

Aloha

Was done years ago, somewhere in the NYC Subway "facts and figures" tells about it. IFIRC time was near 24 hours.
I was an undergrad MANY years ago :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

More information (MUCH MORE) is available here

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this: Chicago to Seattle on the Builder. Then down to San Francisco area on the Starlight (if its open). Then Zephyr back to Galesburg, IL and catch the Southwest Chief to LA. Maybe a side trip to San Diego or San Luis Obispo. Back in LA, take the Sunset Limited either New Orleans or go up to Chicago via San Antonio. Then the City of New Orleans to NO, then the Crescent up to the northeast. I guess you can transfer over in the North Carolina and get down to Florida if you have time. Then up to New York. I'm going to have to do something like this soon too. That doesn't include every stop, but gets many of them. It also misses the most scenic eastern routes, like the Cardinal or Capitol Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back