Lessons learned on my "maiden voyage"; SM/ES

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

min7854

Train Attendant
Well. First let me say that dispite confusion, delays and "crusty" red caps...I totally and completely enjoyed my first train experience, and look forward to riding the rails once again... Now, I did learn a few things, and still have questions on others, so I'll just begin here. I traveled from what was to be my beginning point, Tampa, Florida, but when I went to Tampa to get my tickets, noticed that the same bus from Tampa stops in Lakeland, which is less congested as far as traffic goes, and so the ticket agent told me that if I wanted I could get on the bus there instead, and return there as well ..Nice, since I live in Plant City....Hmmm, first lesson learned. Do your research, and you find out that all things are not carved in stone. Right off the bat, realized that I had built myself a burden as far as luggage goes...Our trip was to be for travel from Florida to Syracuse ,NY. and to be there for 5 days. Also was traveling with my 3 year old grand daughter who is quite an active little one... So, I had plenty of snacks,drinks and play activities packed for her...also brought my laptop and a bunch of her favorite videos. I was thankful that I had the snacks/drinks etc., but I think I could have gotten away with less. Less snacks,drinks and fewer dvds to lug around. Very important to have is that pillow and blanket....otherwise you may freeze your butt off! Just toss them to the side when you reach DC and they switch engines from diesel to electric ...Takes about 30 mins, and you will have no lights, or AC...and it can get a little stuffy in there... You will occasionally stop at a station to take on water and or other passengers, and you can get off if time allows to stretch your legs or smoke if you do... Getting on and off the train with a crapload of luggage is a pita....Less is better...Some of the attendants helped sometimes, a three year old plus baggage is very difficult on steps....sometime there are raised platforms and no steps, others a rather large gap between the platform and train...A child could easily fall there if not careful...Sometimes you will be helped...most times I felt that I was on my own...and was very frustrated at that... Have your tickets out and ready for either at boarding, or after you are seated they will come through and scan them...At that time, it may be a good thing, if you need help to let them know.ie Red Cap service , or just to get your bags down from the overheads...You may not see an attendant or conductor for awhile after you get underway.... Don't be afraid to ask other passengers either...You will have plenty of opportunities to visit, during the trip...If you decide to eat in the dining car, they come around and take reservations, but if you happen to be in the bathroom, like I was, or your child is napping, then you may miss out on that experience...You can to breakfast in there or lunch, which is also a nice time to meet and visit with other passengers. The Cafe/lounge cars are also a nice place to learn some stuff about "training". I thought the prices in both places were okay....Food was good, and in a pinch, or if you are going to try to travel lighter, you can purchase about any kind of snack or beverage there...Oh, if you like Coke products rather than Pepsi, you are sol.....Pepsi is where it's at on Amtrak....Beer/wine...a bit on the pricey side....I smuggled in my own in coach, and had no issuse....just use common sense... Laptops and dvds or whatever type of media you have will be helpful..I found myself checking the map, and logging onto this sight quite frequently....

Bring a pack or two of antibacterial wipes...The bathrooms are generally clean, but tend to get rough during the journey, and I just felt better using the wipes after the bathroom. Red Cap Service...My experience was at Penn Station, and other forum members suggested to use them...I took their advise, and was glad I did...They really know their way around, help with the luggage and can get you to your train connection with ease... Well worth the few bucks tip.... Some Caps are more considerate of small children than others, and on my return trip, found myself sprinting to keep up the the Cap, and pulling the little one along behind me. We got to the right track and to our destination, so I can only say...New York! Absolutely use this sight or check the Amtrak sight for advisorys....I found out that you have to look out for yourself, and call the USA Rail to check status.... If your train is somehow held up or not running, check to see what the alternative transportation is....Ours was busses, but they were contracted and clueless as to anything but their final destination... I learned that the train experience is that...an experience....Part of a journey, and if you go into it with the mindset that it is an adventure..then you will enjoy...If you absolutely need to be somewhere on time and within an exact timeframe, then fly or drive....Trains are cool...and for, in my perspective, leisure enjoyment. VACATION! So I will post more thoughts as they come to me about our journey... I know that this sight is gold for anyone looking for help in planning a trip...Plenty of experience and wonderful help here.....Happy travels////////1

As far as Coke vs Pepsi, it is semi strange on Amtrak. They have an exclusive contract with Coke, so only Coke products are available on Amtrak trains. But there are 2 exceptions.

The Downeaster (from Boston North Station to Portland, ME) is an Amtrak train, but the food and beverage concessionaire is not Amtrak. Thus, Pepsi is sold.

The other is the Maple Leaf (NYC to Toronto) is jointly operated by Amtrak in the US and VIA Rail Canada in Canada. As said, Amtrak has a contract with Coke, so you find Coke but no Pepsi while the train's in the US. VIA on the other hand has a contract with Pepsi,so while the train is in Canada you can buy Pepsi but not Coke!

As far as Coke vs Pepsi, it is semi strange on Amtrak. They have an exclusive contract with Coke, so only Coke products are available on Amtrak trains. But there are 2 exceptions.
The Downeaster (from Boston North Station to Portland, ME) is an Amtrak train, but the food and beverage concessionaire is not Amtrak. Thus, Pepsi is sold.

The other is the Maple Leaf (NYC to Toronto) is jointly operated by Amtrak in the US and VIA Rail Canada in Canada. As said, Amtrak has a contract with Coke, so you find Coke but no Pepsi while the train's in the US. VIA on the other hand has a contract with Pepsi,so while the train is in Canada you can buy Pepsi but not Coke!
I think you have that reversed. Pepsi is on the Amtrak trains in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure about that? Capital Limited, Pennsylvanian, Palmetto, and the Northeast Regionals have Pepsi on them.

I know this because I hate Pepsi and have to tough it out if I forget to get a Dr Pepper before I get on the train.

A Major Correction Dave: It's just the Opposite, Amtrak has a Contract with Pepsi and VIA has a Coke Contract! you are correct about the Downeaster and that @ the Border in Niagara Falls, Ontario when the Maple Leaf turns into a VIA Train, the Crew Changes out and all the Snacks and Drinks in the Cafe are Canadian Products!

Thanks for your informative post. I guess you realize to expect the "unexpected" and that every trip is a learning experience. I hope to meet up with you again on another adventure. :)

Yes, we apparently missed when the attendant came through to take reservations for dinner; my grand daughter needed the potty. But I have to say, if it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have had a clue as to anything related to train travel. It's kind of a learn as you go thing. I found it to be stressful not knowing protocals....Mainly because I had the little one with me. If it were just me, I'd have been all over that train and finding out who does what etc. But; as it were; we made good use of the snack/lounge car...and figured out the dining car...was able to get a good breakfast and lunch. Let me say, that I tried the french toast on the south bound part of our trip....not much to write home about, but the northern part, I had the quiche, and it was very good! Angus burger for lunch. Pizza from the cafe' 2x for dinner. I thought the home fries were great, and the coffee was good as well. My daughter works for Pepsi/Frito, and calls me a traitor because I prefer the Coke products over Pepsi........I bought her a Coke T-shirt for Christmas :giggle: . There were a couple of other sources of frustration, one being that trying to get the little one either down steps or across a gap while lugging baggage was awful. The Red Cap got mad at me because I was still standing on the platform while he was taking my bags to coach..came back and said come on! I was scared that I would drop her down that gap...(I have arthritis,and alot of weakness in my hands). He eventually came and assisted...I know that was not his job, but still, a little common sense. Why is it that at some stops they put the plate across the gap and others not? I think that at each seat there should be a little pamphlet with a brief summary of onboard protocals/ediquette...

Another Dr. Pepper fan here, I hate Pepsi. I take a small soft-sided cooler on trips with my Diet Dr. Peppers, saves money and I get to drink what I like.

The redcap who dashed off with your baggage while you struggled with your toddler? I hope he got a very small tip and a lecture on how to do his job. I would've been livid.

Dr. Pepper is an odd one. I don't think it is owned by Pepsi but some Pepsi distributors do have it. I have seen it at Arby's that only has Pepsi products and McDonalds that only has coke products. Sometimes it is included in sales with Pepsi at the grocery store, sometimes it isn't.

The thing with the dinner reservations was I was just on the CL. They came around to ask if you wanted dinner and I had the last reservation. I heard grumblings from people behind me that were not able to get dinner and if you got on after Chicago, I guess you were just out of luck.

Dr. Pepper is an odd one. I don't think it is owned by Pepsi but some Pepsi distributors do have it. I have seen it at Arby's that only has Pepsi products and McDonalds that only has coke products. Sometimes it is included in sales with Pepsi at the grocery store, sometimes it isn't.
Dr Pepper is owned by a company called the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, along with 7Up, RC, and various other soft drinks.

In some areas, it's distributed by the local Coke bottler; in some areas, it's distributed by the local Pepsi bottler; in some areas, they have their own bottler that distributes it.

Massive wall of text? Looks like something normal that can be simply read in a regular manner to me.

Great info from a first time rider, and most useful for any one considering taking the train... I feel that the impressions of first time users is

often more interesting and fresh than the oft repeated chants of us "old timers" :)

Ed :cool:

Massive wall of text. So Cliff notes for this?
tl;dr, eh?

Cliff notes would be.... she enjoyed her first Amtrak trip.

Does that work for ya'? :p

Massive wall of text? Looks like something normal that can be simply read in a regular manner to me.Great info from a first time rider, and most useful for any one considering taking the train... I feel that the impressions of first time users is

often more interesting and fresh than the oft repeated chants of us "old timers" :)

Ed :cool:
Agreed! I enjoyed reading it myself. :)

Awe now you went and hurt my feelings............Sorry about the ramblings.....I AM a newbie ya know!.... Seriously; I was looking for this type of info when I first came on this forum. As a newbie I did not and still do not comprehend some of you more experienced folks lingo, and abbreviations...I am still learning. Please bear with me. Still looking for some answers, ie; why is it that the Conductors do not always place that metal plate across that wide gap when at a platform stop? Not only is it dangerous for small children, but elderly people and people trying to pull luggage.

Min, I do not know the answer to your question, but please do not get your feelings hurt. Some people are just downright unkind.

BTW, I have a yoga shirt that states on the back, "Be kind, rather than right." I can tell from meeting you that you are a kind and giving person. Please ignore the unwarranted criticism.

Don't feel sorry Mindy. Some of the "more experienced riders" seem to forget that they (and in fact all of us) were newbies to train travel at one time also.

As far as the bridge plate (that's the name of the metal plate), it usually is kept in a cabinet on the platform, not on the train itself. If nobody specifically asks for it to be used, the conductor does not go out on the platform to locate it and then bring it back to put it down before lowing anyone to exit the train. And at stations like Baltimore (BAL), Philadelphia (PHL), Newark (NWK) or even New York Penn Station (NYP) when every door opens, which ones should they place the bridge plate - considering there my be 10 cars and 2-3 conductors. Especially if no one asked for it's use!

The "normal" procedure is no metal plate. This is extremely common for anyone in the NE who is still used to riding trains. The NY Subway, NJ Transit, Long Island RR and Metro North etc, all have this gap, but some gaps are wider than others.

That's just my observation, it's not a reason but it should let you know that it's not Conductors being lazy, it is simply the way they do things. The metal bridge plate was mostly to accommodate a wheel chair at that station.

Well, good info on that plate. Too bad that it is not something that can easily be used. I do believe that we had a traveler in a wheel chair on our northern run. It sure was nice to be able to use it at least one time on our trip. And it did relieve some of the frustration of trying to sling the luggage and child across the gap. As far as the "Cliff Notes" remark....no problem....I can take some needling....I just had to give alittle back. I am a little sensitive, but got his point; I hope mine was made as well. Now another observation/remark. On our trip, there were a few other childern; mostly traveling with what seemed to be their parents...young 20s.30s. I felt sorry that they were weighted down with infant carriers, strollers and other siblings. Guiltly that I was struggling to handle a 3 year old and 3 bags. But I'm pushin' 60 and have some arthitic conditions and weakness in my hands from it. Are the attendants supposed to come through to check to see if anyone is having a problem or do they just function if specfically asked for assistance? Thanks for your support..

I haven't been a rider that long and I don't ride that much but I have never seen them use a plate. Even once when a guy got on with a wheel chair, he was just pushed across the gap. Maybe if he wanted to push himself, or if someone on a walker needed to get on.

As far getting help with kids, I think it is assumed that is the parents (or guardians) job. I am sure if you ask would and some would not want to be bothered.

A good attendant, both in coach and a sleeper, is there when you need them and not when you don't. I have seen some when you board and not again until I got off 2 days later. (This was in a sleeper, I never even say him during the 2 overnights - having to make the bed myself!) Others check in on you every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back