Leaving car (automobile) behind at Osceola (OSC) station for five weeks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aarem

Train Attendant
We will be driving to California but taking Amtrak from EMY to OSC about five weeks later. Since OSC is difficult to get transportation from, we were wondering if it is allowed to park a car at OSC, and drive back in it five weeks later? Is it possible to make sure that the car does not end up getting towed in our absence?

I have left the car behind at OSC for up to five nights in the past, but never for so long. Also, in the past, we took Amtrak both ways. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a question better asked of the folks at OSC. If allowed, you would probably need to notify them of leaving your vehicle for an extended time.
I know that LA Union Station allows parking up to 30 days (we've done it) but they do require registration for any parking more than three days.

Thank you! LA Union Station is, of course, a very busy station for Amtrak. OSC has exactly that one train, California Zephyr. I understand that it is open from 7 AM to 10 AM and 6 PM to 9 PM daily. Which is fine to drop the car and register if indeed such is needed. I can not find a phone number for the station to call. There is an email us on the Amtrak website but nothing there seems to have a subject line that is even remotely related. There is no subject option for upcoming trip or something like that.

Thank you! LA Union Station is, of course, a very busy station for Amtrak. OSC has exactly that one train, California Zephyr. I understand that it is open from 7 AM to 10 AM and 6 PM to 9 PM daily. Which is fine to drop the car and register if indeed such is needed. I can not find a phone number for the station to call. There is an email us on the Amtrak website but nothing there seems to have a subject line that is even remotely related. There is no subject option for upcoming trip or something like that.
I don't know how current/accurate this info is but there is a phone number listed. I found it via Google: Osceola Station - Parking in Osceola | ParkMe
Maybe try the Osceola chamber of commerce/visitor bureau.
Maybe a local hotel would accomodate?

Last edited:
I agree with alanh. Simply call the town and asks for someone who can talk about. They are at the.Osceola Station

At the Wells Main Transportation Center (Maibe has these all over coding I was there for about stations) there are plenty of parking spaces very near me a Station. You can park for free up to several days and beyond several days they would like you to contact the station or the town so that they know that your car is not abandoned.

Only if the battery was getting weak to begin with. We've been away for a month or two in the past and never had an issue (although cars in a garage).
Just in case, one of those little rechargeable battery boosters that has enough power to start a car is easy to tuck in the baggage just in case. They are not that big or heavy

OSC is our home station. I predict no problem leaving an auto in the parking lot for 5 weeks, but I have only parked for a week or less. I would probably park somewhat close to the station, but not the closest, best spot. There may be a note on the wall about long term parking/registering? and which area of the lot to park in but I didn't memorize it as it didn't apply to us. The caretaker that runs the station is very friendly and should be able to help you when you are there (but she will yell at you really loud if you go out to the tracks before you are supposed to!).

Certain equipment in a car takes a trickle discharge all the time. Clocks are one. / Had a car that did so on a long trip took negative cable loose. No problem stating when returned.
I don't know about other cars, but if you disconnect a battery cable on my 2005 Honda, you have to reprogram the radio (and have a code to make it work, at all!). I like Jis's solution better.

A light weight booster is prolly ideal for this situation and keeping devices charged in remote locations. I don’t have one yet but I have a “”Duracell” booster jumper box with standard jumper cables ($60). It weighs about five pounds, very bright LED light, USB port and last about six months - stays in the car except to recharge.

After 5 weeks, would the car's battery need a jump start, especially getting cold out ?
Left my truck at the Nashville airport for 3 months for work. It was old to start with and was completely DOA when I returned about 01:00. Luckily there was a nice gentleman that came in on the same flight that saw my predicament and helped. Took about an hour to finally get enough juice to get started. Made it home but had to jump it again to go get a new battery. Now a days most newer cars battery automatically shut down all systems after a few days of no use. Or they have a separate battery just for the computer and electronics. I don't much now and mine it does have separate battery has been fine sitting for 3 or 4 weeks these days.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was not able to log in for the past few days to this discussion forum. No idea why, but I will call the town early next week and ask them if is it OK to leave the car behind for 5 weeks. I wonder if cabs are easy to get from there as an alternative. Btw, looking at the webpage, it looks like this should be under the City of Osceola Streets department since there is no Parking department. Yes, my biggest concern is the car being towed after assuming it to be abandoned. Second worry is the dead battery, even though it is new now.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was not able to log in for the past few days to this discussion forum. No idea why, but I will call the town early next week and ask them if is it OK to leave the car behind for 5 weeks. I wonder if cabs are easy to get from there as an alternative. Btw, looking at the webpage, it looks like this should be under the City of Osceola Streets department since there is no Parking department. Yes, my biggest concern is the car being towed after assuming it to be abandoned. Second worry is the dead battery, even though it is new now.
I would suggest contacting the police department and advising them of the extended parking time. They should be able to put a note in their dispatch system that should show based on the station address. You can also request a periodic check or extra patrol of the parking area too. I have done that at Fulton, KY and Fort Morgan, CO a couple of times. I will usually stop at the police station enroute to the Amtrak station.

Another possible side issue with the car … tire pressure. With my car, even after a week the tires flatten a bit and it’s rough going the first mile or so. I don’t know if that’s a long-term concern for leaving it that long. I guess the manufacturer would know.

Back