Lead Service Attendant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ernest

Do anyone know what's on the orientation test for Amtrak? If so, what does the job consist of?

I am taking the exam shortly for the Lead Service Attendant position. I was hoping that someone could tell me more about the position? What is a typical like? Any info would be greatly appreciated. If your working onboard which is the best position?
Thanks.
Geri.
:help:

Geri,

With the understanding that I'm not an LSA, having paid some attention to things, this may give you some idea.

First, understand that where you have applied and end up working has a lot to do with just how your day might right. Being an LSA on a long distance train tends to make for very long days and considerable time spent away from home. Being an LSA on Corridor and State sponsored trains tends to make for shorter work days and at worst 1 night away from home.

For the first few years of your career, except for fill in's and assuming that you are based where LD trains even operate from, you'll largely be doing cafe cars and not so much dining cars.

You must show up probably about an hour before the train's departure to start preparing things and to accept the food inventory from the commissary. Once you sign for that food, it is essentially yours until the end of the run when you turn the left overs back to the commissary. You need to have enough money/credit charges to cover the difference between your opening inventory and the returned inventory. You are on the hook if you don't!

You must put all the food into the various cabinets, fridges, and freezers. Make coffee, get the register ready, make sure your microwaves are working, etc. And then of course you must prep & sell your inventory to the customers. On corridor services, you're entitled to a short break and of course on some trains sales may be slow enough that you get some other rests. On long distance trains you could be on the go from 6 AM till midnight, but you do get longer breaks to head to the dining car for your own meals. You must make announcements that you are open, and provide warning announcements that you'll be closing for a meal break or restocking break like for example in NY on a Regional train.

Perhaps the biggest thing to note is that you will spend a lot of time on your feet.

Hopefully this will help a bit, and we do have a couple of LSA's who post here and another person who used to be an LSA. So they may be able to chime in with more specifics.

Alan basically told her or him everything except for most of them work diners. My 1st year out I work nothing but diners . They will get a 2 week class training then training trips. My thing is learn the job .

Thankyou so much to both of you. I cant thankyou enough. Are the rest of the Amtrak staff basically supportive while you are learning? I just have so many questions.

Thanks Again,

Geri.

Thankyou so much to both of you. I cant thankyou enough. Are the rest of the Amtrak staff basically supportive while you are learning? I just have so many questions.

Thanks Again,

Geri.
You will train with some great people and some mediocre people. When you get paired with some of the better ones, ask as many questions as you can. You will find that Amtrak is a very bureaucratic company and you will need to be able to think/fend for yourself. It can be a great career, but realize you will be working a lot of weekends and holidays, so be prepared for changes to your personal/social life.

I was supposed to take the test for Amtrak this morning. Above all days I had everything happend to me and was unable to go.

Will Amtrak hold this against me as a negative if I reapply? I am so bummed about this. I have no way of getting in touch with Human Resources.

I was supposed to take the test for Amtrak this morning. Above all days I had everything happend to me and was unable to go.

Will Amtrak hold this against me as a negative if I reapply? I am so bummed about this. I have no way of getting in touch with Human Resources.
Could you not call them to let them know you had an emergency? I would think that being a no-show is going to count against you. Also, if you communicate with them via letter or email, I would suggest proof reading your typing!

Could you not call them to let them know you had an emergency? I would think that being a no-show is going to count against you. Also, if you communicate with them via letter or email, I would suggest proof reading your typing!
I called and all is well. Thanks for your obnoxious answer.

Jay,

You couldn't possibly have known this, but the man you're talking to Haolerider, retired as a senior member of Amtrak's management a few years ago. A man who even today with one phone call probably still has enough connections to squash your application if he were so inclined. Thankfully, he's not a vindictive person from what I've seen around here.

And he really was just trying to be helpful. When Amtrak gets many more applications than it has for positions, something as simple as misspellings and grammar errors can often lead to one's application going no where. They're just looking for reasons to weed out people. So one must be very careful with things like spelling when looking for a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay,

You couldn't possibly have known this, but the man you're talking to Haolerider, retired as a senior member of Amtrak's management a few years ago. A man who even today with one phone call probably still has enough connections to squash your application if he were so inclined. Thankfully, he's not a vindictive person from what I've seen around here.

And he really was just trying to be helpful. When Amtrak gets many more applications than it has for positions, something as simple as misspellings and grammar errors can often lead to one's application going no where. They're just looking for reasons to weed out people. So one must be very careful with things like spelling when looking for a job.
Hi Alan!! Thanks for the info. Have a nice night.

Jay,

Hi Alan!! Thanks for the info. Have a nice night.
And not even an apology! Well, good luck! You are going to need it!

Actually, as Alan has pointed out, I was simply trying to be helpful with my comments. I would never consider trying to not be helpful to anyone who sincerely wanted to join Amtrak; however a positive attitude goes along with an organized mind and attention to detail has a lot to do with working on the trains! Good luck with your interview. If you haven't been told already, be prepared to answer questions such as ...."Tell me about a time you had to deal with a problem with a customer or fellow employee and how did you solve it." .....or "Tell me about how you deal with honesty on the job."

Let us know how it works out with your interview.

Hi my name is Tyricka Johnson and I am currently a student at the Hubert H. Humphrey Job Corps center. I’ve only been here for four weeks. The reason I’m here is to complete the TCU program, and become a Lead Service Attendant. Before I get the pleasure of indulging in my dreams I need to complete a trade, because TCU is an advanced training opportunity. I’m currently in (CPP) Career Preparation Period where I shadow the trades, see which one best fits me, and take a bunch of self-assessment tests. According to these tests I’m artistic and very social. I’m going to start with the certified nursing assistant trade, which should take four months…moving into TCU upon completion. I’m introducing myself, because I feel that I’m going to have a lot of questions on my journey to success. Thank you for taking the time.

Hi my name is Tyricka Johnson and I am currently a student at the Hubert H. Humphrey Job Corps center. I’ve only been here for four weeks. The reason I’m here is to complete the TCU program, and become a Lead Service Attendant. Before I get the pleasure of indulging in my dreams I need to complete a trade, because TCU is an advanced training opportunity. I’m currently in (CPP) Career Preparation Period where I shadow the trades, see which one best fits me, and take a bunch of self-assessment tests. According to these tests I’m artistic and very social. I’m going to start with the certified nursing assistant trade, which should take four months…moving into TCU upon completion. I’m introducing myself, because I feel that I’m going to have a lot of questions on my journey to success. Thank you for taking the time.
:hi: Welcome. please consider joining AU as a Member, it's Free and offers many Benefits! I'm a Retired 25 year Employee of Job Corps, IMO the Best Program that Government Operates with nearly 50 years of Providing Education and Opportunities for Americas Youth that don't go to College! Based on your Post I have No Doubt that you will be a Success in your Career and in your life! Way to go Girl! I hope to eat in your Diner someday on a LD Amtrak Train! ;)

I have been trying to join AMTRAK as an Assistant Passenger Conductor Trainee.

I have mastered all of the NORAC signals have a bachelors and masters degree.

This is the job for me however I would love some guidance as I do not know anyone who is involved on a personal level. Can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back