Layover in Pittsburgh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Auden Hoggart

We've taken the train a number of times from Philadelphia to Chicago, connecting from a Regional Train to a Capitol Limited roomette in Washington. For a trip on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend this year, we're considering taking the Pennsylvanian (in business class) to Pittsburgh and getting the Capitol Limited there. I realize there's a four hour layover in Pittsburgh, but I wonder if there's anyone with local knowledge about what we might do. We're considering a late dinner on one of the restaurants at the top of the Incline, but any advice would be appreciated (inclding what would be a good choice for a restaurant.)

I know there's checked baggage available in Pittsburgh, so we could, I assume, check bags for Chicago when we arrived from Philadelphia. If we wanted access to all our bags on the train, would they hold them for us in Pittsburgh until we left on the Capitol Limited?

Thanks.

I really don't have anything constructive to add, but I am doing the same thing next week. Going from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh, then on to Chicago.

We've taken the train a number of times from Philadelphia to Chicago, connecting from a Regional Train to a Capitol Limited roomette in Washington. For a trip on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend this year, we're considering taking the Pennsylvanian (in business class) to Pittsburgh and getting the Capitol Limited there. I realize there's a four hour layover in Pittsburgh, but I wonder if there's anyone with local knowledge about what we might do. We're considering a late dinner on one of the restaurants at the top of the Incline, but any advice would be appreciated (inclding what would be a good choice for a restaurant.)

I know there's checked baggage available in Pittsburgh, so we could, I assume, check bags for Chicago when we arrived from Philadelphia. If we wanted access to all our bags on the train, would they hold them for us in Pittsburgh until we left on the Capitol Limited?

Thanks.
I cannot really add anything about what to do during the layover (sorry). But, as of a few years ago, they would hold bags at the Pittsburgh station if you didn't want to check all of them. I did just that during a layover on a PHL-MKE (via PGH and CHI) trip.

I can't say anything about what to do in PGH, because I only connected there one - this last May from the CL to the Pennsylvanian! It was a L O N G layover - from 5 AM to 7:xx AM!
ohmy.gif

My recommendation is DO NOT get a sleeper that night on the CL! it is a very short night with a wake-up call before 4:30 AM, and it's to early for breakfast. I personally do not think it's worth $189 for a roomette!
rolleyes.gif

My recommendation is DO NOT get a sleeper that night on the CL! it is a very short night with a wake-up call before 4:30 AM, and it's to early for breakfast. I personally do not think it's worth $189 for a roomette!
rolleyes.gif
They're going to Chicago, not coming from Chicago. Therefore they won't have to wake up until around 7:00 AM if they want breakfast. Skip breakfast, they could probably sleep till 8:00 AM.

rolleyes.gif
They're going to Chicago, not coming from Chicago. Therefore they won't have to wake up until around 7:00 AM if they want breakfast. Skip breakfast, they could probably sleep till 8:00 AM.
True, but I assumed that if they're going from PHL to CHI, they may also have to return from CHI to PHL!
rolleyes.gif

Also it was a general answer to anyone making that connection! I once took the CL from CHI to WAS. The couple across the hall from my roomette were getting off in PGH. When I awoke at 4 AM, they were already up!
ohmy.gif
(I stayed up to talk with them for the hour before PGH!) I would not say that $189 was worth it to them!

We just took a two way trip from Pittsburg to Chicago and back and found it quite nice. We had a bedroom both ways. The 11:48 PM arrival of the CL made for us going right to the room and getting to bed by 1 AM. You get into Chicago at 8:45 AM which makes it a 10 hour trip (you pick up one hour going and lose one coming (CT vs EST). We had time for a hot breakfast and time to shower and freshen up.

Coming back you leave Chicago at 6:45 PM ( sleepers board at 5:45 PM) and arrive at 5:00 AM. The 4 AM wakeup call is early but not bad provided that you get to sleep by about 9PM. Going its easy to spend a few hours before you get on the CL at Pittsburg.

In the evening hours; there are only a few places to dine around the Amtrak station on Liberty Ave. If you take a cab across the bridge and go to Station Square and then go up the Monongahala Incline there are a couple of restaurants up top but we didn't see that many. There is a nice upscale restaurant at the old P.& L.E. station in that station square area and quite a few in the South Pittsburg area along the river about 2 miles down from Station Square.

There are also some nice restaurants that you can dine at in the downtown area. You will get in to Pitsburg at 8:05 PM and leave at 11:48PM so there is plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely meal and get back in time to catch the train. Just make sure to call ahead for whatever restaurant that you choose as you will be dining a bit late in the evening.

Coming back you arrive in Pittsburgh at 5:00AM (without breakfast and not much time for anything else). We found a great place in the "strip district" that's about 1/2 mile away that opens very early and serves a great breakfast. Its called Delucas and its on Penn Avenue around 17th street. Prices are reasonable and the food is good. DeLucas sets claim to the "best breakfast in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has spruced up in recent years and can be a lot of fun. The city has created what it calls a "Cultural District" along Penn Avenue, filled with theaters and restaurants. The good news is that the district is only three blocks from the Amtrak station. By all means check it out.

And there are a good number of great restaurants there. Right across from the station in the Westin Hotel is the Fish Market restaurant. Just two blocks further along Penn Avenue is the Sonoma Grille. Yet another restaurant, two blocks or so beyond that, is the Nine on Nine.

If the weather is good, keep walking along Penn Avenue and inside of a half hour or so you will get to the beautiful Point State Park, where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio River.

For those planning a longer stay: I have taken the Pennsylvanian a number of times back and forth between Pittsburgh and New York. I have been staying at the Courtyard by Marriott (in the Cultural District next to the Sonoma Grille). Ask for a room on an upper floor facing Penn Avenue for great views of the city. Walking time from the room to the Amtrak station is 10 minutes. :) The short distance is a big help in the morning when the Pennsylvanian leaves at 7:20. The Westin Hotel is even closer-- right across the street from the station-- but I like the homier atmosphere at the Courtyard better.

Is there much of a difference between coach and business class on the Pennsylvanian? I just went to pick up my tickets yesterday and decided to upgrade to business from HBG to PGH, since it was only $18.

Is there much of a difference between coach and business class on the Pennsylvanian? I just went to pick up my tickets yesterday and decided to upgrade to business from HBG to PGH, since it was only $18.
The Business Class cars on the Pennsylvanian are former NEC Club Cars with spacious 2-1 seating. This is the best daytime seating of any Amtrak cars, including Acela First Class. It's a great upgrade from the standard coach seating on the Pennsylvanian, and well worth the small up-charge.

Thanks, PRR!

I was a bit shaky on the decision since they told me there was only one seat left, but figured what the heck...

Coincidentally, I just completed a trip on the Pennsylvanian and for the first time had to settle for a coach seat, because the business class seats were sold out. That has been happening a lot lately. Business class holds about 30 (?) people in a section of the cafe car between the cafe itself and the engine. There are no dramatic differences. However, on business class:

1) Seats seem to be a little roomier. And, if you are traveling alone you can select a seat on the "single" side of the car (you do this after you board, not in advance.) That gives you some privacy, more room to stretch out. (One side of the business class section has single seats; the other side has the usual two-seat combo.)

2) You get a complimentary USA Today, coffee and soft drinks.

3) You can concentrate better on reading, study, or napping, since the cafe section divides you from all the comings and goings in the coach section.

Usually a very busy train between PGH and Harrisburg/Philadephia. Fewer riders between Phillie and NYC.

Say hello to "George" if he is manning the cafe car. He is great!

Hope that helps.

I'm not from Pittsburgh, but did attend a four-day convention there not too long ago; based on that experience, here's what I would do (indeed, intend to do, one of these days): I would walk over to the Omni William Penn Hotel (it's only about 600 yards away - streets are well-lit and seem safe) and have a leisurely dinner in the main dining room ("Palm Court?"). The food's good, but the beautifully decorated room itself is the real attraction (the ceiling must be five stories high). The rest of the public areas in this well-preserved downtown hotel are also nice; and hanging out there sure beats the waiting room in the Amtrak station.

Are the single seats comfortable for a plus sized person?
Well obviously everyone's definition of "comfortable" is different, but that said I think that you'll be reasonable happy. The single seats in BC are the same size as the double seats too, there is no difference there, but the seats in the Club-Dinette car are roomier than those found in coach.

Years ago I had a client here in NYC that had a small satellite office in DC. My contact/liaison with that company would sometimes accompany me to DC when work needed to be done down there. Originally we used to fly, until one day I discovered Amtrak was a much better alternative. Personally I just enjoyed the first class service on the Metroliner trains; there was no Acela at that time. My contact however particularly enjoyed Metroliner First class as he weighed around 325 lbs. While the seat was still a bit snug for him IIRC, it was so much better than an airline seat.

Those old Metroliner First Class seats are what one now finds in the Club-Dinette BC cars, with new cushions and updated mechanicals.

I've done the Pennsylvaniam/Capitol Limited a few times. The layover can get a bit long but there are a few places to eat within walking distance, or just bring a good book. Only other option is to hook up with the CL in Washington and enjoy the whole distance in your room.

I did the NYP to PGH and transited to the Capitol Limited to CHI one time.

I walked to the Westin Hotel for a late dinner, then back to the station.

It was a long wait and not very comfortable. There was a TV and vending

machines in the station. The CL arrived a bit early and we were able to

board. I went to my roomette and retired for the night.

Now, I go from NYP to WAS to connect to the CL

I travel between NWK and PGH a few times a year on the Pennsy to visit my inlaws. The station is close to Pittsburgh's famed Strip District. You can walk around and shop at the funky food stores. Deluca's is well known for their filling breakfasts, but be prepared for long waits on weekends. There is also a famous Primanti Bros. nearby where you can get one of their legendary sandwiches.

Mt. Washington is a short cab ride from the station and has a spectacular view of the city skyline, especially at dusk. I've only eaten at the Grandview Saloon, but you can view a list of Mt. Washington restaurants here.

The Pennsy has one of the best OTPs in the entire Amtrak system and don't be surprised if your train arrives early, leaving you more time to wait for the often-delayed Capitol Limited.

Oh, and spend the extra $$$ for Business Class on the Pennsy. The seats are comfy and the attendant will ply you with complimentary soft drinks and coffee and if you're lucky, a daily newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and spend the extra $$$ for Business Class on the Pennsy. The seats are comfy and the attendant will ply you with complimentary soft drinks and coffee and if you're lucky, a daily newspaper.
I couldn't agree more! Just got home today from my vacation to Chicago and I had no idea what to expect of coach, business, and my roomette. I was thoroughly impressed and cannot wait to go on another trip. Just hoping the next time I head to Chicago, I won't have to come back to PA. :D

Wow, I haven't seen this thread in a year and a half, and I'm checking the forum again since I'm heading out to Chicago again over New Years. Was looking at some of the restaurants that have been mentioned, and both Deluca's and Primanti Bros have been featured on the Travel Channel's "Man V. Food".

Six Penn is also very good food in a gourmet style for not especially gourmet prices. It is at the corner of.... Sixth and Penn :p

I work in Downtown Pittsburgh directly across the street from the Amtrak station. I'm actually due to board the Cap Ltd in about an hour to head to Chicago myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back