LAX to LA Union Station.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PegB

Train Attendant
I'll be arriving between 5 and 6 AM at LAX from Hawai'i. And, I'll be taking the Southwest Chief at about 6 PM the same day. Getting to Union Station looks easy. But, there is still a bunch of time to spend "waiting". Question, how is the Union Station area for "waiting". I am a 75 year old lady from DC. And, I'll not be at my very best after spending the night in coach on a plane.

Hints, suggestions, advice... Is there a special lounge for sleeper folks?

BTW - I am going to Flagstaff. And after a couple of days, I'll continue on to CHI and then DC. Only unknown in this is Union Station in LA.

Thanks

Pegb

Yes, Go to the first class lounge IN LA. Go to the right of the ticket office to the end of the hall and you will see rental car counters. Turn left and you will see elevators on the left. Go up one floor and turn left and enter the doorway into the nice lounge. They will drive you out to the train in golf carts.

I'm 75 too and enjoy having a day in LA. As GreatCats has said there is a Metropolitan Lounge for sleeper passengers. If you need help finding it, just find the ticketing area and ask for directions. I have found the Los Angeles Amtrak employees pleasantly helpful. For me being adventurous, I have several ways to entertain myself during an all day wait at Union Station. There are nice areas to walk exploring around the station and places like Philippes(a great place to eat) nearby. Also the LA Subways and local trains go to Hollywood and other tourist areas and the station is located at the same end of the concourse to all the trains as the FlyAway Bus from LAX arrives. There is also a city bus that goes to Santa Monica and the pier. And one more thing I do is plan a day time adventure away on a Pacific Surfliner. I have traveled to Fullerton to eat at the Ole Spaghetti Factory, ridden to San Diego and back for the ocean side views, and ridden to Santa Barbara and back. I admit these require an adventurous sole who does not mind striking out on your own but I love just such activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the Olvera Street Mexican shopping area is a short walk from the station. I have had more than a couple of decent meals over there.
And Philippe and Olvera (original sight of LA) are surrounded by LA's Chinatown!
The original Chinstown was torn down to make way for Union Station but it's didn't go far!

I like to eat breakfast at Philippe,talk a walk around Chinatown, (to the West of Olvera where the Metro Plaza Hotel is),then through the Olvera Tourist Market ( there a great Old Spanish/Mexican House to tour there and it's Free!).

If you haven't done it, upon returning to Union Station hop on the Red Line to Hollywood, sightsee and have Lunch, then return on the Red Line Downtown to Pershing Square, take a look at all the great old buildings ( downtown is experiencing a gentrification), then return to Union Station to visit the Metro Lounge and the wonderful Gardens on both sides of the Main Lobby!

Since Dinner is served on the Chief, you may want to have a drink in the nice Traxx Bar by the Main entrance,( the Cafe on the other side is Excellent but pricey)this used to serve as a waiting area for Sleeper Passengers on the Coast Starlight in the mornings)

Thanks everyone! I am an urban person, so getting out and about in the city is a good idea... I just have to get over my long held belief that there is nothing at all in LA except cars and freeways, both of which scare me. Busses, trains, subways and walking - not a problem.

I like the idea of just taking the train to San Diego and back, just to look out the window...

Peg

Your subject line says "LAX to LA Union Station" and I haven't seen a comment in that regard.

One way to do that is the "FlyAway" bus which frequently goes between all LAX terminals and Union Station.

Info here on their website: http://www.lawa.org/FlyAway/Default.aspx

Enjoy your time here.
Well, the OP did say getting there "looks easy", and it looks like people actually read through her post.

Well, John - it does look easy and I was planning on the Flyaway Bus.

PegB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back