LAX to CHI via SAC or EME

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Conductor
Thinking of going to CHI from LAX in next summer or 2014. Will take the SWC one way and was hoping to take the CZ the other, with a ride on the CS as well. I have enough points for a sleeper one way but there doesn't appear to be a way to get to CHI via SAC/EME on the CS as a two zone deal, right? I could go on the CS and take the EB but that's a bit more time than I want to spend getting there or home. I'd really like to take the CS so will have to use more AGR points or pay for those tickets separately, right? I could take some other bus/train combo to SAC but I don't want to leave in the middle of the night or get into LA at midnight. I realize the CS could be late but at least there's a chance I could be back at 9 PM.

This would involve 3 tickets, right? LAX to CHI or vice versa on the SWC. Also, CZ to CHI from SAC or the opposite route and a ticket from LAX to SAC.

Thanks,

Dan

There is no was to connect from the CS to the CZ to or from LA due to the arrival/departure times on one award. The only choice is to go via PDX and the EB or the SWC direct. Otherwise, you must use 2 awards if you also want the CZ & CS!

Actually there is a way but it requires an agent to work with you.

If you look at the schedule from LAX to Denver you will see a connection to the Zephyr. This is a one zone award.

What I have done in the past is to ask for this and then ask that as long as I am going from LAX to Sacramento for the connection could I take the Coast Starlight instead and stay the night in Sacremento at my expense as this avoids the tight connections and makes it more relaxing.

Then once this is done I make a second one zone award to Chicago at which point the agent generally just makes it a single two award trip.

This has worked in the past but note it takes an agent willing to work with you.

Stan Ames

Actually there is a way but it requires an agent to work with you.

If you look at the schedule from LAX to Denver you will see a connection to the Zephyr. This is a one zone award.

What I have done in the past is to ask for this and then ask that as long as I am going from LAX to Sacramento for the connection could I take the Coast Starlight instead and stay the night in Sacremento at my expense as this avoids the tight connections and makes it more relaxing.

Then once this is done I make a second one zone award to Chicago at which point the agent generally just makes it a single two award trip.

This has worked in the past but note it takes an agent willing to work with you.

Stan Ames
Thanks. I will try that when the time comes.

Dan

Back